Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spyda308

Empress or Transcare?

53 posts in this topic

I don't see why FDNY EMS is not a good option even if you do not want to make it a career. They offer a FREE medic program... where else can you get an offer like that. Base salary and BLS overtime while you do mon-fri with weekend and holidays off. You can get a lot of experience there without making it your career.

I know that classes are currently POSTPONED... but we all know that isnt going to last very long. EMS is way understaffed, you arent going to see a freeze on hiring like you might see on the fire side (unfortunately)...

JBJ

19Boy1

I wholeheartedly agree, benefits, a union and a pension is what you need in this economy. Also their training in the TOPS program at the EMS academy is second to none. They will reteach you EMT and more. Though the job sucks at times it is the ONLY place to work EMS full time, whether as a career or waiting on another civil service list.

I agree along the lines of FDNY as a good option, youve got the Union backup, the medic program, but based on his intentions and the way it reads it looks like he wants to work for a "commercial" service

Look at EMS as a temporary step. Take every test out there and become a fireman. Still the best job on earth. Good Luck!

Look at EMS as a temporary step. Take every test out there and become a fireman. Still the best job on earth. Good Luck!

Haha it's kind of sad to say but yea. I mean I've always wanted to be a firemen since the day I was born. I do think though that for some people who feel that way about ems thats a good route.

Well if you want long runs lights & siren, go with Empress..........because know matter where they seem to be in Yonkers (even a block away from St.Joes or St.Johns) they transport to Jacobi.

I agree with goose, i don't plan on doing ems for the rest of my life.

And the fundamental problems of EMS are summed up by one who has not even become an EMS provider yet!

I know they were mixing both GLS and ALS rigs for transports back then.

GLS = Geriatric Livery Service :) j/k Joe!

I love it but you hit the nail on the head. More like vegi-runs as my ex partner brett would say. BTW I actually just noticed the typo. I must have been really tired when I typed that in my old age (going for the walker with the tennis balls now). I'll be a candidate for GLS myself to - LOL

Edited by joetnymedic

I agree along the lines of FDNY as a good option, youve got the Union backup, the medic program, but based on his intentions and the way it reads it looks like he wants to work for a "commercial" service

Why would anyone want to work for a commercial service. I can see for part time when you already have another career, but their really is no benefit I can think of. Maybe the scabs in NYC where the conditions bosses dont bust their balls as much as FD EMT's and medics?

Why would anyone want to work for a commercial service. I can see for part time when you already have another career, but their really is no benefit I can think of. Maybe the scabs in NYC where the conditions bosses dont bust their balls as much as FD EMT's and medics?

To each their own. The FDNY*EMS isn't the best choice for everyone. Sure there are positives, but i make more than a 2nd step FDNY EMT and my benefits are fine so there was never incentive for me to go. The the training opportunities are probably just as good as any other agency - its all about what you, as an individual make of it. I've seen plenty of skelly FDNY*EMS members just as i have seen many skelly commercial agency workers.

No question FDNY is well on it's way to something very good, just not that there yet for me personally. That said, if you want to do EMS for the rest of your life then i think you need to seriously consider FDNY*EMS. If not, then you can consider it but i would say you can probably get similar experience/opportunities at Empress with less of a commute and wait.

I notice your a young guy. What really is most important is that you get a 4 year degree. I strongly suggest you look to that, if you haven't already.

And the fundamental problems of EMS are summed up by one who has not even become an EMS provider yet!

Yeah but that doesn't mean I don't like EMS or think down apon it. Because I do like it and I am going to give it my all. So my statement before does not "sum up the EMS system".

To each their own. The FDNY*EMS isn't the best choice for everyone. Sure there are positives, but i make more than a 2nd step FDNY EMT and my benefits are fine so there was never incentive for me to go. The the training opportunities are probably just as good as any other agency - its all about what you, as an individual make of it. I've seen plenty of skelly FDNY*EMS members just as i have seen many skelly commercial agency workers.

No question FDNY is well on it's way to something very good, just not that there yet for me personally. That said, if you want to do EMS for the rest of your life then i think you need to seriously consider FDNY*EMS. If not, then you can consider it but i would say you can probably get similar experience/opportunities at Empress with less of a commute and wait.

I notice your a young guy. What really is most important is that you get a 4 year degree. I strongly suggest you look to that, if you haven't already.

Haha yeah I'm a young guy, 19 as of today, and trust me I'm going to stay in school until I get a 4year degree.

Spyda ? Hmmmm - Where'd u get that name ?? ;)

Spyda,

Thanks for making me feel old...you may have been spoiled hanging around a certain firehouse in your younger years...whatever happens with your career, be prepared to be a bit dissilusioned...stay in school and keep your options open.

I'm sure your Dad told you that already though.

And most importantly, Spyda...QTIP!!!

I'm almost done with my EMT course and I've also been wondering if there are PART-Time EMT jobs around? Im sure there are but just wondering what anyone thinks and specifically during the summer. Same as R1 I'm in college and grew up wanting to become a FF or EMT.

I'm almost done with my EMT course and I've also been wondering if there are PART-Time EMT jobs around? Im sure there are but just wondering what anyone thinks and specifically during the summer. Same as R1 I'm in college and grew up wanting to become a FF or EMT.

Again, your best bet is a commercial or a some small VAC that hires a paid day crew or something along those lines. Once you get your sea legs you can start to look towards some of the harder to go into systems.

Edited by Goose

Just a thought, If you are thinking about making EMS a career I would also consider FDNY. Grab something from a commercial entity for now as the hiring process in the the city takes some time, also it's a great way to learn the skills and patient assessment necessary for the job at hand. Not to mention the benefits of a municipal job, if you are an eligible candidate your paramedic school is paid for... Again this is just a thought. Good luck and welcome to the EMS Community.

Edited by Anomalyemt

for me wems is an great company to work at i really love the job !!!!!!. :rolleyes:

From Throggs neck, Senior Care is just over on Zerega. Definitely one of the better transport agencies. A lot of FDNY medics and EMT's work there.

Why would you say that??

I'll go with FDNY EMS...

if they ever hire again after the current freeze lol

no cap on overtime is good as well as negotiable wages

As a new jack you will never cap out on OT and just how negotiable are your wages? Starting EMTs now make about $15.75/hr and after 5 years $23.50/hr. Add to that meal money and night differential. I pay 0 for medical, dental, or vision. Pension at 25 hopefully soon to be 20 years. Access to an extremely cheap and highly rated 401K/457. Civil service protection and a strong union presence. Line of duty injury and death benefits. Excellent training including hazmat operations for all members with advanced training to technician as well as an advanced rescue medic program available. Oh yeah I almost forgot, no transports all 911.

If you're only going to do EMS for a year or so then its not worth it. If you're doing it while you're taking civil service exams and could be at it for a couple of years or might consider making it a career then its a no brainer.

Empress or TransCare = Coke or Pepsi

Either has it's pros and cons, each has people that will swear by them and each has disgruntled current and former employees.

Interview at both of them and make your own decision based on what will be best for you.

Good luck!

But just notice how Empress was compared to coke and not that awfull Pepsi stuff...LOL

Pepsi is based in Somers....WEMS territory. Yikes.

I like working at WEMS.