Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest emtb23

EMS for a year (Empress? Transcare? FDNY? Other?)

20 posts in this topic

I guess this is a spin-off of the recent Empress vs. TransCare thread, but I thought I'd start a new one since the situation's a bit different.

I've been an EMT for 5 years and have volunteered for a few different agencies. I've also done some paid work over the summer, but nothing in the area. I'm graduating from college this May and would like to get a FT EMS job for a year or two before I go to grad. school. With salaries being what they are, I'm probably going to try to live at home and save some money, so I could work in Westchester or NYC.

My ideal job would be 911 right off the bat, but I realize that I'll probably have to put in my time doing transports first. Either way, I've got some questions that I was hoping you all might be able to help with:

1) Is it common for people to get FT jobs right away, or do people typically get hired for PD/PT first, and then transition to FT?

2) Between Empress and TransCare, which would get me to 911 sooner? Would either care that I've been a vollie for 5 years?

3) Some people mentioned FDNY in the Empress/TransCare thread. I was under the impression that you have to be a NYC resident to apply for the position. Is that not the case? Are there detailed instructions about how to apply, etc. anywhere online? I haven't been able to find anything.

4) Are any of the private hospital-based NYC systems an option?

5) Another option seems to be to get a couple of PT/PD jobs and see which I like, then try to go FT there. Do people do this? What do they do about health insurance, etc. in the meantime?

Edit: 6) One more thing. At some point during the year or two off I'm going to have to take some odd days off here and there to travel a bit for grad school interviews. Will it be hard to switch shifts with someone or something so that I'd be able to do that?

Thanks.

Edited by emtb23

Your best bet is to probably go to a commercial or private ambulance such as empress or transcare, if you go to fdny you'll be stuck because thats a full time career job.

FDNY is a full time only gig and you need to apply for a civil service exam, get called go through the hiring process and then the 3 month academy. So if you're doing this for a year thats not going to be an option. Besides they have "postponed" classes due to the request for budgetary cuts.

Voluntary hospitals in NYC: You're unlikely to get on any of those for two reasons 1) your experience is rather limited (vollie is nice but it's not the same as experience in a high volume system) and 2) they are extremely difficult to get into.

So really, as i see it, you're best bet is a commercial - transcare or empress (or any other - but you used those names so ill stick with that), both are going to have you jump through the hoops everyone else does before getting some 911 action. If you excel, you may get there sooner - really don't know. I think transcare might be a little bit more tight about who they let work in New Rochelle and White Plains.

You can go full time if a company needs full time position, its all based on the company. As far as trades/swaps/mutuals - all depends on the company. Every agency has their own policy and procedure on how to get time off.

Just like anything else, your going to have to slug it out like the rest of us are/did in commercial EMS before you can get to some of the more comfortable/better paying systems.

Edited by Goose

With 5 years mixed experience (even the majority as a volunteer), you'll probably get able to get into 911 fairly rapidly with both services. Empress will probably be the faster of the two, keeping in mind it will be mixed 911/transports. Transcare might take a little longer, but the 911 shifts you pick up will end up being dedicated 911.

Both have full time available immediately.

Both services are fairly flexible with scheduling. The ease of swapping shifts around depends on how friendly you are with your coworkers.

With 5 years mixed experience (even the majority as a volunteer), you'll probably get able to get into 911 fairly rapidly with both services. Empress will probably be the faster of the two, keeping in mind it will be mixed 911/transports. Transcare might take a little longer, but the 911 shifts you pick up will end up being dedicated 911.

Both have full time available immediately.

Both services are fairly flexible with scheduling. The ease of swapping shifts around depends on how friendly you are with your coworkers.

Not to hijack the thread, but it seems like most people are very eager to get into 911 and don't like transports as much - which is understandable. Do any companies allow medics to just do transports on their ambulance?

emtb23 I have friends that work for Hudson Valley Paramedics they have flexible scheduling and are hiring now. They run bls and als as well as transports in Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, and a few other counties I believe. Depends also how far you want to travel to work they are located on route 9 in Fishkill. They just took over or Regional Ems took over them but they seem to be doing a good job now .Still there are some people that bash them alot but I believe evryone has to experience a certain company for themseves.Just another company I thought you might want to add to your list best of luck in your search.

Transcare has about 15 NYC hospital 911 contracts, I would assume it would take far less time to get into 911 with then than with a company that has one city (yonkers) and kinda sorta another (Mt. Vernon).

You could give the EMS department at New York Presbyterian Hospiatl a try it is a good place to work. They have the large fleet on the road for EMS (911) next to FDNY EMS. They are in 4 of the 5 boro's.

Here is the link to NYPH. http://www.nyp.org/careers/job_ops/index.html

Chris

Another option is Westchester EMS - http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=29703

Personally, I wouldn't tell them that you're just looking for a job for a year (may be a moot point if they read this thread though). They may be less inclined to take you for short term employment since they'll have to train you, insure you, equip you, etc.

Good luck!

Not to hijack the thread, but it seems like most people are very eager to get into 911 and don't like transports as much - which is understandable. Do any companies allow medics to just do transports on their ambulance?

i cant speak for any other agency but i know at transcare that is a scheduler's dream lol its always seems transport shifts are the last to fill

Just about any company will jump at a medic who just wants transports.

Transcare has about 15 NYC hospital 911 contracts, I would assume it would take far less time to get into 911 with then than with a company that has one city (yonkers) and kinda sorta another (Mt. Vernon.

As an EMT, a lot of those shifts are difficult to pick up off the bat. On the other hand, Transcare always has openings for running transports.

As far as Empress, they don't "kinda sorta" have Mt Vernon 911, they do have it and have had it for some time. The city has a dedicated unit and units from Yonkers cover it as well. Transcare and Empress both do Mt Vernon Hospital transports, as far as I know.

You have to consider that your first day on the road at Empress, you could end up doing 911's in Yonkers, which is as fast as you get. Every unit can potentially (and do) pick up 911's. Based off speed alone, its reasonable to say Empress is likely to be faster. Dedicated 911? Not necessarily.

You could try Newark EMS. It is UMDNJ, a hospital based 911 only system. www.uh-ems.org You start at $17.94 a hour. Getting your NJ EMT is fairly easy. We cover the airport, turnpike, and garden state parkway. You will receive lots of experience and the big perk is that you are a NJ state employee so your medical benefits are FREE. Not to mention a state pension. If you are in the Westchester area, put your scanner on 155.4000. You should hear us from there.

Edited by orangEMT246

You could try Newark EMS. It is UMDNJ, a hospital based 911 only system. www.uh-ems.org You start at $17.94 a hour. Getting your NJ EMT is fairly easy. We cover the airport, turnpike, and garden state parkway. You will receive lots of experience and the big perk is that you are a NJ state employee so your medical benefits are FREE. Not to mention a state pension. If you are in the Westchester area, put your scanner on 155.4000. You should hear us from there.

Thats if NJ ever got back to people requesting reciprocity. I've been waiting for two years...

Presby...not to be a douche, but there is no way your going to get into Presby with no career or high volume experience.

Like i said, your best bet is working commercial - you will have more flexibility and get the experience you want.

Thats if NJ ever got back to people requesting reciprocity. I've been waiting for two years...

Presby...not to be a douche, but there is no way your going to get into Presby with no career or high volume experience.

Like i said, your best bet is working commercial - you will have more flexibility and get the experience you want.

I got the job first and was working with a NY patch on my shoulder. The staff here (UMDNJ) got my card within six months. Within the past two years, NJ went to a new computer recert and CME tracking system, so your application could have been lost. Try again as I got mine in the summer of 2007.

I got the job first and was working with a NY patch on my shoulder. The staff here (UMDNJ) got my card within six months. Within the past two years, NJ went to a new computer recert and CME tracking system, so your application could have been lost. Try again as I got mine in the summer of 2007.

There is automatic reciprocity by Nj of one's NYS EMT-B card you need to have National Registry as a paramedic to get your medic card that is what I did.

You could give the EMS department at New York Presbyterian Hospiatl a try it is a good place to work. They have the large fleet on the road for EMS (911) next to FDNY EMS. They are in 4 of the 5 boro's.

Chris

I would not hold my breath on that one. The hospital has a hiring freeze right now, as per the letter sent out last month, due to the cut in the funds that the state gives them. The funds are approximately 25 million dollars. As a result of this the hospital decided not to hire the soon to be if he isn't already former chief of FDNY-EMS J. Perruggia who recently retired. NYPH-EMS not only runs 911 units but runs 5 dedicated transport trucks and 8 or 9 ALS transport units. Experience on any level is not a priority as they like to train people in their own way and having worked for the hospital for almost seven years I have seen and worked with people whom are both experienced and inexperienced.

Chris

Not to be a Debbie Downer but Presby is on an across the board hiring freeze until June, due to the probable impending closure of Westchester Square Hospital. Once they find placement for all the Full Timers based in the Bronx they'll reopen the hiring.

Also someone mentioned earlier about transcare's 911 operations in NYC. They are not associated with the westchester division, so if you wanted to work within the NYC system you would have to apply to Transcare in Brooklyn. I'm not sure if you can bridge the gap between westchester and NYC within the company as I have never worked there, but it might be worth looking into.

I'd be flogging a dead horse if I go on any further, everyone else has posted some great advice, go commercial and avoid FDNY for a short term job prospect.

Brian.

Does Presby usually hire continuously?

Any idea when the hiring freeze will end?

What about other voluntary hospitals like St. Vinny's? Are they as hard?

Does Presby usually hire continuously?

Any idea when the hiring freeze will end?

What about other voluntary hospitals like St. Vinny's? Are they as hard?

Presby isn't hiring. All privates are difficult - your not going to come out of tech class and hop on a NYC 911 truck, it just is not going to happen. Vinny's wants a minimum of 4 years as an EMT with decent experience before they will consider you.

Edited by Goose