Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mike172ny

Thonwood - Structure Fire 1/18/04 Discussion/Additional Info

15 posts in this topic

Commericial Structure Fire, Location the intersection of Kensico Road and Westchester Avenue. Thornwood chief on location with heavy fire showning out of a commerical building reported the 10-75 to 60 control. Thornwood requesting alot of mutal aid to scene also rescue 37 from briarcliff with their fast team and 2 re-transmissions of the 10-75 for thornwood manpower. County batallion 16 on scene requesting field comm. to scene along with the C & O team. going to a second alarm very shortly

their using fire ground 46/30 Mhz

any idea how big the structure is? im hearing a lot of apparatus responding to the scene

Since this thread does not follow the template, and since there is discussion on this thread, it does NOT belong in the IA-Westchester forum and has been moved here to the Incident Workshop forum.

Just to note, again, ALL posts in the Incident Alert Forum MUST follow the template and prescribed format, or they will be deleted or moved.

Any posts that do not follow the template, contain additional information, comments,questions,etc belong in the INCIDENT WORKSHOP forum.

We once again ask for every cooperation in this. We have posted several times about this. We have a method for our madness, so all we ask is that everyone just cooperate,lol.

Discussion may continue on this thread.

All units involved in Thornwood at this time are: Briarcliff, Mount Kisco, Pleasantville, Thornwood, Valhalla, Hawthorn, Chappaqua, Armonk, Bedford Hills, Field-Comm, Batt. 16, C & O, Car 12

I tried to update the initial post on the incident

2 1/2 story frame 20X40 Heavy fire on arrival fire on 1 & 2 flrs.

Confusing location...

I heard the chief give the address to 60 Control as 59 Kensico Rd. and that the initial call was Kensico and Westchester, but my map doesn't show the streets clearly. My map (DeLorme Street Atlas 2004) shows Kensico Rd. between Kensington Ave and Warren Ave. and shows Kensington running from Kensico and Westchester running from Kensington, parallel to Kensico in the rear of the fire building.

On the IA board AFD said it was on Marble. My map shows that Marble ends at Kensington. The fire building was just beyond Kensington (Westchester Ave.)

Map from Yahoo:

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=HUSsq...ew=1&name=&qty=

:-k Doug_e

Sounded like the town was burning, Why so much M/A?

Due to the cold weather the guys were taking a beating. When they came out of the house there gear froze right up

Starting right off, this is NOT an attempt to bash or Monday Morning Quarterback.

The Picture in the Journal News today shows 3 windows. It is obvious that these windows were broken for ventalation. My question is , after the windows were broken, why wern't they cleared? If the firefighters in the room had to bail they would have been cut to shreds. We are taught to break then clear the windows. The remaining glass and the aluminum frames are strill a hazard and need to be taken care of. this photo was taken far enought along that it was not an "in progress" photo as evidenced by the FF without his mask on standing up in the room.