Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest aussiegeorge

New President

61 posts in this topic

Fine, its not about Bush or Obama, but Guitmo isn't working. Wether its one or 61 released detainees, we can't hold them all forever because not all of them are returning to the battle. Now how many didn't go back to the fight, but are instead recruiting more terrorists and insurgents? How many people joined the fight because their cousin, brother, father, son, etc was taken by the Americans? We can what if this to death. I don't know if any valuable info ever came out of these prisoners, but clearly nothing so important that it would justify its continued existence otherwise I would think they would have run it up the flag pole at the very least for the policy makers to see. We have a moral standard that we pride ourselves on, and no one is calling for an outright release of these people. They are taking a fresh look to make sure what we are doing is in the best interest of our country.

I'm sure if they can't find a place for the prisoners they'll postpone or even cancel the closure of the prison. He's a politician, they're all very good at changing their mind and there is nothing stopping Obama from changing his mind here. Hell, they can't even switch TV broadcasts over to digital on time.

Obama's order required that the CIA adopt the Army's interrogation manual, but left it up to the CIA to determine how to handle "high value" targets. He's not an idiot. Then there's that little issue of people confessing to things they're not guilty of or providing false information to make the "torture" stop.