Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest aussiegeorge

New President

61 posts in this topic

And for Gitmo, i never minded it. People make it out to be some horrible place where innocent men are beaten and tortured. We actually treat these pieces of trash better than we treat some of our own citizens. Not for nothing, the second you involve yourself in terrorism or sympathize, you relinquish all your civil/human/political rights in my book. Obama will be regretting this once we start picking these guys back up on the battlefield (which has already happened) after their "trials" in their country of origin.

Has it really happened?

From Seton Hall Law School... An academic look at the claims...

http://law.shu.edu/administration/public_r...ong_on_gtmo.htm

http://law.shu.edu/center_policyresearch/r...mbers_11509.pdf

The Seton Hall Center for Policy and Research has issued a report which rebuts and debunks the most recent claim by the Department of Defense (DOD) that “61, in all, former Guantánamo detainees are confirmed or suspected of returning to the fight.”

Professor Denbeaux of the Center for Policy & Research has said that the Center has determined that “DOD has issued 'recidivism' numbers 43 times, and each time they have been wrong—this last time the most egregiously so.”

I'm not making excuses. Thats the reality of the situation. If he can't get the legislation he wants passed then thats his fault. If his programs fail, thats his fault. For the next 4 years if it doesn't get done then he doesn't get re-elected, unless of course the Republican's do like the Democrats did 4 years ago and lob a softball to the opposition.

POTUS goes in the Limo. He has his own Secret Service medic with a full compliment of equipment.

My comment on the excuses was general and not directed towards you.

The Secret Service does run ambulances, they are usually black and unmarked. At least one vehicle in the POTUS' convoy is an ambulance or medic truck.

The ambulance that took Senator Kennedy away had Federal license plates, so it could be any number of various federal agencies. Probably Secret Service or Capitol PD, definitely not DCFD.

Every presidential or other Secret Service detail that I've seen had a regular ambulance included in it. The black unmarked vehicles are all various Secret Service vehicles but I'm not aware of a single one being an ambulance. They have a variety of functions but transport EMS isn't one of them.

Now they may take an injured President, dignitary or agent to the hospital in one but I've never seen one set up as an ambulance.

I am a life long republican and DID NOT vote for obama but I am taking a wait and see approach to his presidency. He has 4 years to make a positive change. My biggest fear is that he will not be strong enough against terror and that he will make us more vulnerable to an attack. Let's remember that no matter what you think about george bush he has kept the country safe since 2001.

I agree with you and also did not vote him in, but I also agree to give him his chance to fix what he can. I have to say, though, that my greatest fear for this country is its vulnerability under his reign. He still has no official position on Arab vs. PLO. Are we gonna defend Isreal or not? Dunno. Are we gonna play hard ball with I'maNutJob in Iran or Kim Jong MentallyIll in North Korea? Dunno. He still thinks Bush over-reacted with respect to 9/11 and post 9/11. He intimates he'd do differently if put in the same position in such a way that makes me reeeally nervous. The "can't we all just get along" mantra he spouts is good for peace time, but does little else but piss people off in times of war and/or imminent threat thereof.

Because of that, you ALL need to step up your training and be twice as diligent in IDing and dealing with terrorist threats, be they from outside countries or from within our own borders. Remember how hyper-vigilant and protective we all were of our own and our country as a whole after 9/11? I remember like it was 5 minutes ago. Get back to being that way, starting today.

Has it really happened?

From Seton Hall Law School... An academic look at the claims...

http://law.shu.edu/administration/public_r...ong_on_gtmo.htm

http://law.shu.edu/center_policyresearch/r...mbers_11509.pdf

I use the term battlefield loosely. Some may have showed up on the battlefield proper, but how many returned to terrorism in general? There are a thousand and one roles they could be playing - and I'm not giving these guys the benefit of the doubt. I don't even think Seton Hall can answer that one.

When you give people like this the benefit of the doubt you are playing a very dangerous game. If you haven't, i suggest everyone read Lone Survivor by Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell. He talks very eloquently about giving these people the benefit of the doubt and what happens when you mix politics into the decision making process.

Edited by Goose

Without even worrying about the foreign policy debates that you guys are getting into, I'm worried about what some of these idiots want to do with the economy. After all, a strong economy is the only thing that has allowed the U.S. enough strength to have an effective foreign policy for the last 70 years.

That economy is now in the hands of people like this

I heard that he was upset by Kennedy going into a seizure. He went to his office after. That sen. is, I think, 92 years old. Bless him for continuing the job at this age.

Mondale and 2 senators were there, the VP was at the table with the president. :o

Right.

The Honorable Klansman, sorry Senator, Byrd.

Without even worrying about the foreign policy debates that you guys are getting into, I'm worried about what some of these idiots want to do with the economy. After all, a strong economy is the only thing that has allowed the U.S. enough strength to have an effective foreign policy for the last 70 years.

That economy is now in the hands of people like this

What's the matter, bro? You don't want to spread the wealth?

This kind of garbage is status quo so far for our President. I mean for christ sake our about to be confirmed secretary of the treasury is a tax evader!

I mean for christ sake our about to be confirmed secretary of the treasury is a tax evader!

Is this documented anywhere credible? Can you post references to the information? Not saying you're wrong, it would just be nice for others to be able to read up on the subject.

Is this documented anywhere credible? Can you post references to the information? Not saying you're wrong, it would just be nice for others to be able to read up on the subject.

Sure, Chris.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090113/ap_on_...reasury_nominee

If anyone watched the actual hearings, he admitted to and apologized for the "error." I'm having trouble finding tape of the hearings, but i'm still searching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVYyYhp8ov8

Sure, Chris.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090113/ap_on_...reasury_nominee

If anyone watched the actual hearings, he admitted to and apologized for the "error." I'm having trouble finding tape of the hearings, but i'm still searching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVYyYhp8ov8

I saw it myself and you are correct. So if I evade paying my taxes all I gotta say is I am sorry??? :rolleyes:

I saw it myself and you are correct. So if I evade paying my taxes all I gotta say is I am sorry??? :rolleyes:

...or you could try and balme TurboTax :P

If this were you or i, or anyone else for that matter, and we tried to run for public office or a special no-elected position...there would be hell...

This is also a little food for thought about the new economic bill trying to be pushed through...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtFwS2W3ITI

Edited by Goose

According to Republican Jim Bunning of Kentucky Geithner has been "involved in just about every flawed bailout action of the Bush administration."

I don't think he's a good pick either, but he was chosen for a reason. We'll see how it plays out.

I usually don't play the party game but if Mccain or any other Republican was put in office and he nominated someone who commited the same crime ( yes...tax evasion is a crime) he would of been nailed to the wall by the comittee and the media would of had a field day.

I usually don't play the party game but if Mccain or any other Republican was put in office and he nominated someone who commited the same crime ( yes...tax evasion is a crime) he would of been nailed to the wall by the comittee and the media would of had a field day.

Any evidence of that or just another conspiracy theory. I can't help but notice, since it's been in the news EVERYDAY, no free passes are being given.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/01/23/mid...ee.1-414168.php

Hm, think the President is regretting closing down Gitmo?

I don't understand his rationale for closing it. Where are we supposed to lodge detainees or combatants in the absence of Gitmo? Are they going to be brought to the US from Iraq or Afghanistan and lodged in a US prison? That's absurd!

The whole recidivism argument may be a weak one but we still have to fight the war on terror. It seems to me that he's eliminating our only option for incarcerating and interrogating terror suspects with nothing to fill the void - or am I missing something?

I guess no one wants to be accused of putting the savior on the cross for a second time.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/01/23/mid...ee.1-414168.php

Hm, think the President is regretting closing down Gitmo?

Why, he was released by Bush's system and Bush's people. That would imply the old way was not working and maybe Obama is on to something. Or maybe this is war against religious idealism. A war that has been going on since the Crusades. This battle and its combatants are not going away.

Edited by ny10570

I don't understand his rationale for closing it. Where are we supposed to lodge detainees or combatants in the absence of Gitmo? Are they going to be brought to the US from Iraq or Afghanistan and lodged in a US prison? That's absurd!

The whole recidivism argument may be a weak one but we still have to fight the war on terror. It seems to me that he's eliminating our only option for incarcerating and interrogating terror suspects with nothing to fill the void - or am I missing something?

This prison has become a center for torture and human rights violations. Even if the act was cleaned up there, as long as it is being used, it will portray that image. Closing Guantanamo ends the practice of detaining prisoners overseas so that we don't have to follow US and/or international law.

Edited by OoO

These people want to kill us, our kids and destroy our way of life. Where will they go? How could Obama even suggest closing it down with no plans to put them somewhere else.

These people want to kill us, our kids and destroy our way of life. Where will they go? How could Obama even suggest closing it down with no plans to put them somewhere else.

So, let's try them and sentence them to long prison terms. Oh, wait, Bush couldn't handle doing that.

I see alot of people in here are still agonizing over the election of Obama. I wonder what percentage of you will develop ulcers over this? Is it really worth all the grousing thats going on?

Look at it this way, we survived 8 years of Bush; i'm sure we can survive 4-8 years of Obama.

Just relax people...its out of our hands either way.

Did everyone see how they are "re-training" these insurgants how to be more civilized? With classes in finger painting & yoga. Yup saw it on the evening news last night and my jaw hit the floor. @#&>!< incredible!

Edited by jack10562

I see alot of people in here are still agonizing over the election of Obama. I wonder what percentage of you will develop ulcers over this? Is it really worth all the grousing thats going on?

Look at it this way, we survived 8 years of Bush; i'm sure we can survive 4-8 years of Obama.

Just relax people...its out of our hands either way.

AND WHERE IS THE DOG???? Another promise broken. If we'd elected McCain there would be a dog in the whitehouse!

Before we judge his presidency lets see how Obama does. Even though i'm not in favor of closing the prison where are they all going and since we have detained these people won't they hate the US more????

So I have come to a realization. I may completely detest Obama both personally and professionally, but I am going to be the bigger person. I am not going to be like all the liberal jerks who did nothing but complain about President Bush and refused to admit that he did anything right. I am going to give Obama a fair chance, and if he does actually succeed in doing anything positive, I will give him credit. Otherwise I'm no better than the anti-Bushers I hate so intensely

Why, he was released by Bush's system and Bush's people. That would imply the old way was not working and maybe Obama is on to something. Or maybe this is war against religious idealism. A war that has been going on since the Crusades. This battle and its combatants are not going away.

You missed the point. It has nothing to do with bush or obama, it has to do with the fact that some of these people DO in fact return to terror in some capacity.

I'm just not willing to roll the dice.

Hes keeping a campaign promise but hes avoiding decisiveness. He declared Gitmo would be closed down in a year but what are we going to do with these detainees, how and where they are going to be tried? He doesn't even know and while thats fine i'm not sure i agree with pulling the trigger on setting a timetable for closure without having more of a plan our outline on how the government is going to deal with the 200 some odd people that are there.

And for that "torture" nonsense - im convinced its a load of hot air. Water boarding isn't torture and if you personally consider it so, it was used on something like 5 individuals. Including Kahlid Sheik Mohammed the guy who thought up the 9/11 concept while hanging out in Afghanistan. Water boarding doesn't seem all that bad given that he is responsible for 3,000 + individual cases of homicide.

Edited by Goose

And for that "torture" nonsense - im convinced its a load of hot air. Water boarding isn't torture and if you personally consider it so, it was used on something like 5 individuals. Including Kahlid Sheik Mohammed the guy who thought up the 9/11 concept while hanging out in Afghanistan. Water boarding doesn't seem all that bad given that he is responsible for 3,000 + individual cases of homicide.

Waterboarding is considered torture by the UN. Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN0852061620080208