Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KC2OBW

City Pok Structure fire 1/20/2009

54 posts in this topic

looking at the photo for other things than the straps, did you see the ladder under the porch on the dwelling to the left, and was that a burned off wire, guide cable or just old rope hanging through the tree down to about where the hose stream is, it looks like there is one attached also. I thought is was a branch at first but it is comes down straight and has a funny "v" on the end. Maybe it was the rope to swing over over the fence :rolleyes: Another great shot.

You know what Mark, I didn't even notice it until you said something lol.

Idk it just looks really orange to me.

I know Tom - The strong orange hue is probably due to the fact that I processed the image after I had been up 23 hrs and also due to the fairly slow exposure used to take the image which causes the image to be highly saturated with color in this case the orange from the flames..... Only busting on ya..... :)

looking at the photo for other things than the straps, did you see the ladder under the porch on the dwelling to the left, and was that a burned off wire, guide cable or just old rope hanging through the tree down to about where the hose stream is, it looks like there is one attached also. I thought is was a branch at first but it is comes down straight and has a funny "v" on the end. Maybe it was the rope to swing over over the fence :rolleyes: Another great shot.

The services to the residences were at the front of the structures...... This was some type of clothes line or something else..... I made sure where I was going was free of hazards as did the Fairview firefighters who were manning the line......

The services to the residences were at the front of the structures...... This was some type of clothes line or something else..... I made sure where I was going was free of hazards as did the Fairview firefighters who were manning the line......

I figured it was rope or maybe a broken tree swing, I am sure you are EXTREMELY careful where you go.

Here's another shot that shows the service lines to the structures as well as the defensive opps.....

459223430_SeJBd-XL.jpg

Great shots, Bill Thanks for sharing--- Keep 'em coming!!!!

Wow Bill your work is excellent to say the least, kinda making me want to start getting back into taking pictures again, I used to use a minolta X-7A several years back but the more I got involved in the fire company the less time I had to take pictures. Almost bought the new Canon Xsi yesterday.

Thanks for sharing again and looking forward to more.

So what happened with ladder 1 I heard it go 10-12 early this morning.

Anyone know if they knocked down the Bldg today? Heard the street was closed around early afternoon?

As of 1500 Hours today the structure was still up.

So what happened with ladder 1 I heard it go 10-12 early this morning.

Threw the alternator belts.

Thanks. I was looking at the photos and those exposures on the B & D sides we tight, especially the D exposure. I'd like to know more about the attack and the exposure protection, if anyone can share it.

I'm a huge buff like that, thanks. :rolleyes:

I can sum it up in a simple easy statement.... "PFD along with the assistance of Fairview and Arlington on scene did some good solid firefighting, under good leadership, along with good water supplies, and of course attack lines in the proper places..."

This was not no Taylor Ave. 2001 fire, but very easily could have been if some of those key ingredients above didn't fall into place....

Good Job to the City of Poughkeepsie firefighters on well done job...

Edited by FIRECHIEF63

WWW.POJONEWS.COM ARTICLE IN TODAYS PAPER ABOUT SECURITY GUARDS FROM VASSAR HOSPITAL HELPING EVACUATE RESIDENTS.

I just came back from a Press Conference at Vassar Hospital in Recogition of the two gaurds who rescued the families that night. Watch the local Cablevision News tonight for more. Outstanding work by all.

I was working at Alamo that night and was first on scene and thought that it was going to be a very, very long night. Again outstanding work by all FD's involved and special Kudos to the Off-Duty Vassar Security Guards. If not for their quick thinking that fire could have turned out a whole lot worse.

I know Tom - The strong orange hue is probably due to the fact that I processed the image after I had been up 23 hrs and also due to the fairly slow exposure used to take the image which causes the image to be highly saturated with color in this case the orange from the flames..... Only busting on ya.....

Oh okay thanks and I don't care that your messing with me it's all good.

Edited by texastom791

Here's a shot of Poughkeepsie Ladder 1 operating at the front of the structure........ I have a lot of images and video to go through and I'll probably post a few more later.......

459762125_3PyR5-X2.jpg

OK, Here are some more shots....... I took about 400 shots and I tried a lot of different things most of which worked so, therefore I ended up with a lot of usable material..... The operation was offensive briefly but I believe due to the way the fire had control of the third floor upon their arrival and the uncertainty of the flat roofs integrity due to the same, the decision was made to pull everybody out which happened shortly after I arrived which by an act of god, was within about ten minutes from time of alarm.......... I don't think anybody wanted to pull out but they all new the risks and it wasn't worth it once the occupants were accounted for.... Risk little to save little.........

460135389_KHq8m-X2.jpg

Fairviews FAST Team was put to work almost as soon as they arrived..... Here they operate an exposure protection line in the rear of the structure........ Arlington FD's FAST team was dispatched to assume the FAST duties..

460136791_xTLNp-X2.jpg

Here a shot from the front taken a minute after the above shot.....

460139272_fgPGi-X2.jpg

Another shot from the front about 4 minutes from the first one.....

460141468_FGLBL-X2.jpg

Another front shot.....

460149304_nCXUH-X2.jpg

Probationary Firefighter Brian Ineson get some helpful guidance in setting up a portable monitor......

460153603_gmcPM-X2.jpg

A wide shot of the front..... Ladder One hits it with its pipe......

460256222_zT5A9-X2.jpg

A wide shot from the other side as Ladder One continues its assault.....

460155469_JxnVo-X2.jpg

Firefighter Ineson runs the monitor in the front of the structure as a fellow Firefighter watches.....

460158140_gVTeX-X2.jpg

Fairview Lieutenant Marshal and Firefighter Gilnack who were slightly frozen speak with Poughkeepsie Chief Ken Boyd.

460163201_er4PA-X2.jpg

Asst Chief Decker gets an update from one of his Firefighters.....

Edited by Photounit

460168712_2kNS8-X2.jpg

I just don't know what to say to this one :P

460169211_kk2kb-X2.jpg

Baby it's cold outside...... The frigid temps froze the water instantly on anything it contacted including Firefighters as well as the ground they walked on....

460170909_eUXV2-X2.jpg

Monitoring progress.... Asst. Chief Decker ascends to Ladder One's turntable to check the effectiveness of its master stream....

460168615_bhndC-X2.jpg

Chief Decker get a warm cup of coffee as he speaks with Chris Bodin who is one of the voices of reason and authority on City 911 who stopped by the scene briefly.

460172064_Hya9R-X2.jpg

In some photo's you can tell what a person is thinking just by their facial expressions ....... This is one such example - I LOVE MY JOB! A cold, frozen, but proud Poughkeepsie Firefighter smiles for the camera.

That's all for me.......

awesome pictures, makes me want to head back north!

awesome pictures, makes me want to head back north!

Thanks......Come on back...... These guys are a great bunch of hard working guys who love what they do!

Great work as always Bill. How is the video coming?

Edited by DFC278

Bill Did you happen to grab a picture of Roger on the top E-1 operating the deck gun?? Talk about Frozen!!

Great work as always Bill. How is the video coming?

Thanks Chief....... The video is uploading now and can be found here: http://www.vimeo.com/2940672

These are just chunks of hand-held video....... My still photography comes first..... :)