Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DCJPells

House Made of Tires Frustrates Illinois Crews

6 posts in this topic

I'm not a firefighter, but it seems to me that surround and drown is the best bet. It's just not worth sending anyone inside a heap of molten rubber - i imagine that stuff is like napalm when its in a burning/liquid state. Sounds like some sort of foam would have helped smother things a bit.

Thats my take.

As a side bar - so much for the builder's intent on a "green" home, he probably just blew a hole in the ozone layer the size of the Holland tunnel.

WHO THE HELL gave this guy a building/occupancy permit?!?!?!? I may not be an expert on Illinois building/fire codes, but that CANNOT be an approved building material. Where was the Fire Marshal? Where was the Building Inspector? Sure, a house made of recycled materials is "green," up until the point it burns and releases toxic smoke from the burning rubber. Great idea, you've probably now introduced more toxic chemicals than you would have building a regular house, you idiot.

Sorry for the rant, stupidity of this magnititude angers me.

WHO THE HELL gave this guy a building/occupancy permit?!?!?!? I may not be an expert on Illinois building/fire codes, but that CANNOT be an approved building material. Where was the Fire Marshal? Where was the Building Inspector? Sure, a house made of recycled materials is "green," up until the point it burns and releases toxic smoke from the burning rubber. Great idea, you've probably now introduced more toxic chemicals than you would have building a regular house, you idiot.

Sorry for the rant, stupidity of this magnititude angers me.

Tires in various forms have been approved as a building material. Either chipped or whole. Usually as part of thick heat absorbing walls. When used properly the rubber is covered in masonry giving any occupants plenty of time to evacuate and hopefully enough time for extinguishment before the tires are exposed to fire and the whole structure lost.

I don't think foam would work well on vertical surfaces. You also have the issue of the steel bands within the tires. They become built in re-ignition points. Kind of like a zippo lighter.

Edited by ny10570

Here are my thoughts:

Who would ever!!!!!!!

But because it is so; Exterior ops only. Unknown how much is really there and anybody who has had a large tire fire know the consequences. Large amount of water and foam just to control. Bring in a big excavator to rip and tear. I would also report this through DEC and look at it as a haz-mat situation for recouping of funds. Imagine the runoff potential and contamination.