Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ex-commish

Rear Facing Red lights

63 posts in this topic

Guess you can add that to the "what is a buff" list..

I'm also just going to assume that he's probably one of the worst EMT's in the country. Call it a hunch.

With the afore mentioned blue light statutes and what you just said in-mind would you not agree that asking a police officer like yourself or INIT915 or any other police officers opinion on their interpretation and enforcement of blue light laws is acceptable research in determining the laws. Reading the statute is all fine and good but again, would you not agree that seeking someone, especially from law enforcement or a lawyer, to explain the laws and offer their own opinion, even if it is informal, is a good in order to get a better idea of the laws and their enforcement? I thought that this site was about seeking the opinion of others who have experience in the field.

I agree that research is valuable and mulitiple sources provide more insight than a single source BUT my comment was directed at your statement about not "having the time or the patience to read the statute" yourself. How can you possibly know if you're getting reasonable input from other sources if you don't know what the law actually says?

This site is a great tool for discussion but it is not intended to serve as legal advice whether you're reading the posts of police officers, lawyers, or even judges.

My only point is don't rely solely on the internet as your source of info on the law.

And not to tarnish the shining dispositions of my law enforcement brethren but we can, occasionally, be wrong! B)

(7586 @ Jan 29 2009, 06:10 PM)

Think about this:

You see somebody responding in a POV, they have all these lights going looking like an emergency vehicle (mainly police, because police is mainly known for using uc cars,) than they stop at a red light, and stay there until it turns green. What do you think the people watching you will think?

I asked this question once during a heated debate about lights in an EVOC class I was teaching. One student said to go through the red light.

And nine out of ten times nothing would probably happen. But that one time, he gets t-boned or hits someone or gets stopped and then all of a sudden we're reading about some moron who killed or got killed or got arrested because of his own ignorance and his department's apathy.

That video is absurd - there are more lights on that personal vehicle than on some actual emergency vehicles. Where's that guys chief or captain? Why is he permitted to flagrantly violate the law by his agency? See, it's not just the individual, it's the agency too.

How many agencies actually require training before issuing a blue/green light permit (if they actually issue one at all)? How many agencies inspect the member's vehicle to insure that it is legal before issuing a permit? Can anyone say vicarious liability?

It's only a matter of time before something REALLY bad happens!

;) Yeah, not if its a volunteer (non emergency vehicle) pov with blue or green lights in the front, red/yellow lights in the rear window and white hide away lights in the front turn signals, white in the front hi beams, yellow/red rear running lights and white rear reverse lights :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEYKXgx2JpE

I think part of this discussion should be about degrees. The vehicle in that video is over the top. And looking at the listed equipment, it lists "1 100 Watt Ambulance Siren Controller" and "1 Federal Signal Flat Speaker".

Any buff, or even any well intentioned volunteer can do nothing but invite trouble for themselves when they start to cross the line. It's vehicles like that one that most likely bring some PD's down on all volunteer 'light shows'. It gives the PD's cause to stop looking the other way with 'borderline' lighting packages, and say, "OK, that's enough, start enforcing the letter of the law."