Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mount Kisco VAC's New Ambulance...on a Chevy C4500 Chassis!

27 posts in this topic

It was mentioned in another thread that Mount Kisco was getting a new ambulance, so I went over to the PL Custom site to take a look. And, boy, was I suprised when I saw it was on a Chevy C4500 chasis....it looks AWESOME and is a great choice for a chasis.

http://www.plcustom.com/recentdeliveries/g...0&template=

I hope someone will post photos in our photo section when they can, and I hope next time I come north, I can get a few myself.

Wow, really looks good.....good luck with it

I love the GMC Kodiak Line if trucks

Why GMC and why the 4500?

Why GMC and why the 4500?

I don't know MKVAC's reasons, BUT, I know a lot of people and agencies that have recently purchased "Medium Duty" chasis.

Some of the reasons I've been told were:

-More room for additional crew and equipment(important in a volunteer agency with a flycar ALS), especially if you have more then one patient

-Ford, and problems with the Ford chasis and engines

-More cabroom and better driver visibilty

-Easier to service and access engine by flipping a hood rather then having to remove ten thousand component in a van engine just to make a quick repair

-In an impact, and I hope I never have to see proof of this, you are a little higher then your typical sedan or SUV impact point.

-More acceleration power

-Better braking

-Chasis able to handle the weight of the module

-Better ground clearance

Yep that was the one at the show, looked nice in person, couldn't go in it though.

We took delivery of one of the first off the production line earlier this year and we love it so far. The only complaint I've heard so far is that the air horns, mounted on the fenders, were too loud where they are mounted. The main reason(s) we went with this instead of the traditional Fords were we are having serious issues with engine / drivetrain on two of our 4 total ambulances. The other biggie is that here in Virginia, the ambulance has to be weighed fully stocked, with two attendants and a "simulated" patient. The total weight of all that was getting really close to the max allowable so we decided to step up to the next feasible size unit without going to an International unit. (which is gaining popularity like wildfire here in southeast VA)

I don't know MKVAC's reasons, BUT, I know a lot of people and agencies that have recently purchased "Medium Duty" chasis.

Some of the reasons I've been told were:

-More room for additional crew and equipment(important in a volunteer agency with a flycar ALS), especially if you have more then one patient

-Ford, and problems with the Ford chasis and engines

-More cabroom and better driver visibilty

-Easier to service and access engine by flipping a hood rather then having to remove ten thousand component in a van engine just to make a quick repair

-In an impact, and I hope I never have to see proof of this, you are a little higher then your typical sedan or SUV impact point.

-More acceleration power

-Better braking

-Chasis able to handle the weight of the module

-Better ground clearance

My part-time gig has 3 of them now and contemplating a 4th. Great ride, really smooth. See here: http://www.station87.com

My dept has a Chevy 4500 and its pretty good, but most like the International more.

If i understood correctly MKVAC recently became unhappy with their fords, most likely due to service

Hello to all, I'm happy to hear that you all like the new addition to our new fleet. Yes this is the Ambulance from the Long island Buff show right as you walked in. Thank you Seth for the compliment. A lot of the reasons we went with this rig were listed above by Seth but there were a few more. It also has an amazing turning radius. We started having problems with the ford motors/ dealerships, (will remain nameless) and the truck with all the equipment that we carry was bogged down and almost on the max weight capacity. Believe it or not, it is only a bit larger than our old Ambulance, the nose of this vehicle makes it look larger than it really is. The International's on the other hand are HUGE and impractical for our response area. We changed around some lighting on this vehicle as well, but we did stay with the 900 series lights all around. I will be happy to answer any questions and thank you all for your interest in our newest vehicle. Seth, give me a call when your up in the area so you can take some pictures. I will post pictures as well upon its arrival at our HQ tomorrow around 6pm.

R. Zaccari

1st LT

New Vehicle Committee Chairman

P.S it is only 2wd with on-spot chains. The 4wd model adds about a foot to the height.

Storm Engine Co. Ambulance Corps in Derby, CT has the same rig and by what I hear they love it. You'll have to ask Ecky for more info as he works for them.

I look forward to seeing this beauty rolling around, as long as i am not in front of it

Hello to all, I'm happy to hear that you all like the new addition to our new fleet. Yes this is the Ambulance from the Long island Buff show right as you walked in. Thank you Seth for the compliment. A lot of the reasons we went with this rig were listed above by Seth but there were a few more. It also has an amazing turning radius. We started having problems with the ford motors/ dealerships, (will remain nameless) and the truck with all the equipment that we carry was bogged down and almost on the max weight capacity. Believe it or not, it is only a bit larger than our old Ambulance, the nose of this vehicle makes it look larger than it really is. The International's on the other hand are HUGE and impractical for our response area. We changed around some lighting on this vehicle as well, but we did stay with the 900 series lights all around. I will be happy to answer any questions and thank you all for your interest in our newest vehicle. Seth, give me a call when your up in the area so you can take some pictures. I will post pictures as well upon its arrival at our HQ tomorrow around 6pm.

R. Zaccari

1st LT

New Vehicle Committee Chairman

P.S it is only 2wd with on-spot chains. The 4wd model adds about a foot to the height.

Raymond didnt know you where on here... Looks good. man good luck with it

-Chris

Hey Raymond - Good Luck with the new bus! When's the wetdown??????

Gail

Hello Chris/ Gail, were looking to do some sort of wetdown when the weather gets warm, some sort of BBQ. Nobody likes a cold BBQ. We actually receved the new Ambulance today and it is sweet. It does fit into the garage, which is a great success. I will attempt to post some pictures asap.

If i understood correctly MKVAC recently became unhappy with their fords, most likely due to service

Just a heads up regarding the "service" end of the 4500 series, I work in Harrison and e have 2 of them and they are nothing but trouble...I can't even begin to tell you how much $$$$$$ has been wasted in service, repairs and overall nonsense fix its...be careful...next time ask those who have them....we will never get those types of ambulance again!

Just a heads up regarding the "service" end of the 4500 series, I work in Harrison and e have 2 of them and they are nothing but trouble...I can't even begin to tell you how much $$$$$$ has been wasted in service, repairs and overall nonsense fix its...be careful...next time ask those who have them....we will never get those types of ambulance again!

Just because your agency has issues with them, doesn't mean that every agency will. Many agencies are going with this chasis and have been using it succesfully, including one of the largest users, Boston EMS. Did you ask those who had them before purchasing them before your purchase? Every agency has problems with a brand, meanwhile, other agencies use the same brand with no problems. For example, many people have a negative view of Wheeled Coach. However, one of the largest EMS fleets in the world, uses them- Los Angeles City FD. They have hundreds- and are VERY demanding with what they want in an ambulance.

Also, what types of problems have you been having? Were they preventable issues (i.e. overlooked during inspections, problems that are caused by drivers, etc)? Also, have you tried a different dealer to service the chasis that is familiar and factory trained on both the chasis, engine and systems?

Ugggh... my kingdom for a GMC! It is beyond me why Ford cannot make an engine that will last for more than 25K miles and even further beyond me why we all keep buying them anyway!

We took delivery of one in Stony Hill (Fairfield) and we like it so far. It does sway a bit and the Jake slows it almost too quickly, but other that that so far so good. Visit My Website

Ugggh... my kingdom for a GMC! It is beyond me why Ford cannot make an engine that will last for more than 25K miles and even further beyond me why we all keep buying them anyway!

I dunno, I'm surrounded by a fleet of Fords many of which have run 6 digits. Until this current vehicle contract the majority of the frontline fleet was well over 50,000. Our shops are slowly being crushed under the weight of the workload while they're feet are from under them by budget cuts and our problems continue to be electrical components and and wear and tear issues.

What's happening with the rig it is replacing?

It is currently for sale.

Haha, our Mercury Grand Marqs have upwards of 300,000 miles on them. I would put all my chips on Ford over any GM product. On top of that, our 97 E350/Braun on my squad is still running strong.

It's a nice rig, but when it comes to P&L trucks, the looks of the rig are about the only things going for them. My squad has 2 twin 2006 Ford E-450/PL Medallions that have spent a majority of the last 2 1/2 years OOS for stupid issues that are a result of P&L's poor craftsmanship. Expect to have problems with the electrical system as well as the A/C for the box, just to name the two biggest headaches that we have with ours.

come on now, thats a loaded question !!