Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SWS1

New Canaan PD's New 2008 Ford Explorer

10 posts in this topic

Just prior to Christmas, the New Canaan CT Police Department took delivery of a 2008 Ford Explorer XLT, which replaces an existing Crown Victoria patrol vehicle. Car 5 is the first of three patrol vehicles Specialty Warning Systems will be providing the NCPD this year.

The warning system is an all LED Whelen system with a fully loaded Liberty SX lightbar, two red/blue 400 Super LEDs in the grille, four head Dominator in the upper center of the rear cargo window and four HideAway LEDs in the rear taillights. One of two switches in the rear compartment disables the Dominator whenever the vehicle is to be used as a scene command post. This same switch simultaneously activates the two TIR3s mounted low in the cargo compartment, to afford supplemental rear warning when the Dominator has been deactivated and the cargo door raised. A Sound Off Signal solid state headlight flasher, single 100 watt siren speaker and CenCom Gold complete the warning system.

The center console is a Havis-Shields Vehicle Specific model, with dual cup holders, two 12V power outlets, side mounted armrest, CenCom control head and department radio. As new laptop computers are to be installed in the near future, an AOI airbag option was installed during the conversion, to allow for manual deactivation of the passenger front airbag.

The custom rear cargo command cabinet incorporates a large upper storage compartment for first responder equipment including O2 kit, AED and trauma box. This same compartment also features a self latching drawer for smaller scene management and command post supplies. The lower drawer is designed as a security drawer with high density foam insert for equipment specific containment and heavy duty, high security Simplex pushbutton lock.

The custom graphics package mirrors existing patrol vehicles in a format recently adopted by the NCPD. A new addition to the reflective lettering, striping and graphics layout, was the "nightstripe" safety chevron applied to the rear bumper. Safety chevrons have seen a significant increase within the fire and EMS services in recent years (primarily due to the efforts of the NFPA) but are still less common in Law Enforcement. The vehicle committee and administration of the NCPD display a very proactive position toward officer and vehicle safety by incorporating the chevron into this and upcoming vehicles.

The staff at Specialty Warning Systems wishes to extend it's appreciation to the New Canaan Police Department for their confidence in us to provide this year's conversions and look forward to working with them in the years to come on many other projects.

post-7323-1233526303.jpg

post-7323-1233526320.jpg

post-7323-1233526329.jpg

post-7323-1233526339.jpg

post-7323-1233526354.jpg

post-7323-1233526364.jpg

post-7323-1233526375.jpg

post-7323-1233526386.jpg

Nice! the rear has a little to much goin on decal wise for me though

Edited by 99subi

Nie Looking vehicle good luck with it

quote]Needs more lights.

Looks good. I have to agree though that directional in the back is kinda small.

post-6811-1233708291.jpg

Edited by texastom791

Looks good. I have to agree though that directional in the back is kinda small.

well between the rear of the light bar the mini strip in the back window and there are also what looks like TIR 3 on either side of the box with the hatch open. I would also assume they have strobes or something in the brake lights

Normally I can't stand the chevrons in the back but these ones are nice and discreet. Good job and good luck with it.

Nice ride, and I too quite like those low-pro chevrons on the back. I always liked the hidden chevrons approach.

four HideAway LEDs in the rear taillights, as reported in the description of the vehicle.

Another nice vehicle by SWS.