Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Patch6713

Commercial Drivers Licenses (CDL) required for fire apparatus?

13 posts in this topic

Came across this today and it really surprised me.

CDL announcement

I hadn't heard anything about this before reading it online. I thought that something like this would have made some noise, especially in the volunteer stations.

I was already planning on getting my CDL permit next week, but now I know I will be going to DMV.

Oh goody! Now will the respective fire depts/districts be expected to cough up the money to pay for this or the individual wishing to be a driver?

Just because someone has a CDL doesn't make them a truck driver. Just gives them permission to be a steering wheel holder.

I can see it now, a whole line of fire apparatus out of service at a DOT check on the Thruway on the way to or from the Hudson Valley parade.

Wake up! These types of laws have little-to-nothing to do with safety/security and everything to do with revenue enhancement.

If its been around since 2005, why havent there been any notifications to the towns and districts?? something seems a lil fishy being that its "breaking news" 3 years later.

Interesting. I wonder what class.

Most would require a Class B CDL. You would also have to pass the air brake portion of the test as well as have the tanker endorsement.

Class A if you tow a trailer with a manufacturers gross weight rating of 10,000 lbs or more.

Also, if you still have any apparatus with manual transmissions, you would have to take your road test on them. If you take the road test on a CMV with an automatic transmission, you will be restricted to automatic only.

Class C if the gross weight is under 26,000 but over 18,000 (I think).

Cost $$$$$. When I renewed my license two years ago, it was $130 for the license and $153 for the haz-mat endorsement.

BTW, once you have your CDL, you are subject to a whole new set of rules and regulations that apply to your POV as well.

Edited by 50-65

If they had to pick from the available "classes" of CDL , I'm sure they'd require a "B". Operation of a single vehicle with a gross weight rating of over 26,000 pounds. Perhaps you'd also need a tank endorsement for the tankers....

If they had to pick from the available "classes" of CDL , I'm sure they'd require a "B". Operation of a single vehicle with a gross weight rating of over 26,000 pounds. Perhaps you'd also need a tank endorsement for the tankers....

Tank (N) Endorsement would be required for any permenently mounted cargo tank with a capacity of 119 gallons or more.

Just because someone has a CDL doesn't make them a truck driver. Just gives them permission to be a steering wheel holder.

I can see it now, a whole line of fire apparatus out of service at a DOT check on the Thruway on the way to or from the Hudson Valley parade.

Wake up! These types of laws have little-to-nothing to do with safety/security and everything to do with revenue enhancement.

You're absolutely right - training and experience makes a truck driver. Maybe this will force people to get both before getting behind the wheel of a 10 ton fire truck.

Would that be a DOT check or a sobriety check? :o

These laws probably do a bit of both. Without regulating the caliber of the drivers operating heavy vehicles or specialized vehicles such as tankers, aren't the roads more dangerous? I don't know if I want a minimally trained driver exercising the privileges of an emergency vehicle in a 10 ton truck without training and experience at a minimum required or a CDL holder.

Another question I have about all of this is if you need a CDL to drive a fire truck, then the fire truck must be classified as a Commercial Motor Vehicle. If this is true, shouldn't they need a license plates, inspections, all proper DOT lighting, etc.?

You're absolutely right - training and experience makes a truck driver. Maybe this will force people to get both before getting behind the wheel of a 10 ton fire truck.

Would that be a DOT check or a sobriety check? :o

These laws probably do a bit of both. Without regulating the caliber of the drivers operating heavy vehicles or specialized vehicles such as tankers, aren't the roads more dangerous? I don't know if I want a minimally trained driver exercising the privileges of an emergency vehicle in a 10 ton truck without training and experience at a minimum required or a CDL holder.

I know when I took EVOC, it gives you some of the minimal basic info. The only way to really know how to handle that apparatus is to drive it. Take it to a large open area and see what it will do or not do. Under close, well-trained supervision of course.

I would like to see driving simulators for apparatus.

When I worked EMS, one of the things that scared me the most was these "kids" who never drove anything bigger than their Honda Accord getting behind the wheel of a type 3, or a top heavy van and screaming down the road lights and sirens.

And the road check would undoubtedly be both. Max BAC for a CDL driver, in any type of vehicle, I believe is .02.

Edited by 50-65

One would have assumed that this would have gotten a bit more attention three years ago, if the goal was really safety.

With all the lawyers, politicians and whatnot with vested interests in such policies one would assume that this would have become common knowledge within the emergency services sector. This is an enourmous cluster.

"Do it" or get off the pot. CDL's or not? Enough of the "figure it out as you go" policy wonkery.

Enough of this "let's just pass it, see if anybody notices it's junk legislation, and bask in the P.R." The quality of legislation making it out of Albany is in decline, or the laws have become so complicated that the lawmakers can't even untangle them. Why bother understanding the laws you pass? Why bother checking to see if and how they contradict one another? Just churn out the laws that pander to your support base and ensure that the lucrative speaking engagements, contributions, connections, and clout keep growing. Just let the court system fix the broken laws years after they've been churned out. Let those who get caught in the poorly contrived machinery and have their day in court do the repair work on THEIR OWN dime. Nothing like a la carte legislative repair.

Edited by Chris192
Edited to comply with profanity policy.

CT requires you have a "Q" endors to drive a fire ening/tanker/rescue. but you need only a regular licence to drive a amb. i took the Q class two years ago and all it is, is a cdl class/air brakes class with a practical at the end done by a state dmv officer.good class paid for by my dept. years ago the dept would of paid for a cdl class and the test would have been done on a town highway truck. wish it would still be that way because like you said the cdl class is crazy expensive! it is what it is. however it does keep people from behind the wheel that really shouldnt be

You are correct on the class B license. However.....

A tanker endorsement is required for anyone operating a Class A or B vehicle with either a permanently mounted cargo tank rated at 119 gallons or more or a portable tank rated at 1,000 gallons or more as stated in the New York State Commercial Driver's Manual.

No, I had thought when CDL's came out in the late '80s - early '90s that it was 1000 gals or more period. But then again, that was when I was able to take the test as an open book "grandfather" type method.

A Class C only applies to vehicles under 26,000 lbs if transporting 15 or more passengers (P endorsement), transports any number of passengers under Article 19-A (P and S endorsement) or vehicles carrying hazardous materials.

Fortunately most shouldn't need a medical certificate under 49CFR Part 391.

A note for anyone getting or thinking about getting a CDL... if forces you to a higher standard when operating a motor vehicle including a POV. If you have a CDL you must report any violations to your employer (even in your POV). Also if you have a CDL and get arrested for DWI or DWAI you will be found guilty until proven innocent in the sense that you get your license revoked on the spot.

Edited by TRUCK6018