Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
miami222

Continental Village PIAA Car Over An Embankment With Hazmat

26 posts in this topic

1 car PIAA rollover over an embankment on Bear Mountain Bridge Road. The car landed perfectly in the stream with a ruptured gas line and oil pan. Absorbent pads were placed at the source and booms were placed down stream.

I give the driver a 10 on the landing!

post-1309-1233763319.jpg

post-1309-1233763328.jpg

post-1309-1233763337.jpg

post-1309-1233763348.jpg

post-1309-1233763355.jpg

post-1309-1233763364.jpg

Nice work CVFD. Also, everyone had their vests on, including the tow truck operator.

Nice work CVFD. Also, everyone had their vests on, including the tow truck operator.

WOW, i think this is the first time i've ever seen total compliance to the vest law on a scene. THATS how we do it.

what time was this

I believe that it was yesterday in the later in the afternoon.

I love the contrast of trees and snow to bright neon yellow vests! :lol:

Great shots, thanks for sharing! If you have one that you think would make for a good feature photo on http://www.emtbravo.com, please email me at seth@emtbravo.com

Also, what wrecker service is that? The drivers vest says A&P, where are they out of? I like that medium duty they have, looks brand new.

With Continental Village covering that stretch of road, they could certainly justify a Heavy Rescue, LA style!!!

http://www.x635photos.com/displayimage-8-29.html

Or

http://www.x635photos.com/displayimage-8-1.html

Nice pics thanks for sharing!!! I bet the car did not come out as easy as the pictures suggested.

Haha yep, and then again, that's exactly what they're there for!

Your right and nice shots.

Wow, great pics... though a bit disturbing for me as I drive the same truck. LOL! That's gonna be a very big, very painful repair bill - hope he's got Geico. I'd give him a 9.5 for the landing.

Was the driver hurt?

The driver was transported by Peekskill VAC to Hudson Valley. I think she only had minor injuries if any which is surprising because there was no air bag deployment.

I would give it a 9.5 for originality of vehicle placement.. Pics look good.

Another example of a driver in a 4wd thinking they dont have to slow down..

4WD = Further in the Woods :wacko: .... (being a BMW just adds to it, they are thinking, "I am invincible on the road, I'm in a $50,000 SUV")

Did she roll or did she strike something that knocked her roof in?

Also, what wrecker service is that? The drivers vest says A&P, where are they out of? I like that medium duty they have, looks brand new.

Seth - A&P Towing / Collision is from Ossining NY.

* See more of the Fleet !

http://www.apcollision.com/default.htm

I Love that Everyone is wearing their VEST I will have to say that is a good way to Make your own Parking Spot

I would give it a 9.5 for originality of vehicle placement.. Pics look good.

Another example of a driver in a 4wd thinking they dont have to slow down..

4WD = Further in the Woods :wacko: .... (being a BMW just adds to it, they are thinking, "I am invincible on the road, I'm in a $50,000 SUV")

Oh come on, ease up on the BMW bashing. It took me a reeeeally long time to save up $50k worth of pennies and nickels to buy mine. :P And for the record, even with 4wd AND snow tires, I still slide on ice just like anyone else. Invincibility is for superheroes and I AIN'T one. Maybe she hit ice and went off-roading unexpectedly? NAH. It was just another dumb girl on a phone in her big fancy SUV... just makes more sense. <_<

Seriously, perhaps there was no airbag deployment because she went down the embankment and went butt-end-up just enough to impact the hood first, rather than the front bumper (with the bag sensors). Scary. Glad she's not dead and not an organ donor.

Do the orange and silver reflective stand for anything? It looks like the silver may be officers.

So what was the haz-mat?

its says in the first post:

"The car landed perfectly in the stream with a ruptured gas line and oil pan. Absorbent pads were placed at the source and booms were placed down stream."

its says in the first post:

"The car landed perfectly in the stream with a ruptured gas line and oil pan. Absorbent pads were placed at the source and booms were placed down stream."

I was under the impression that a "haz-mat" had to be more than just vehicle component fluids spilled in an accident.

True, maybe it should have been better classified as fluid spill but I know of many calls for fluid spills in roadways or near/in water supplies that come in as HAZ-MAT and Hazard on the I-PAGE

Edited by bvfdjc316

True, maybe it should have been better classified as fluid spill but I know of many calls for fluid spills in roadways or near/in water supplies that come in as HAZ-MAT and Hazard on the I-PAGE

They come over as fluids from a past mva or fluids in the roadway on the pager and hazard,fluid on the ipage.

correct me if I wrong but doesn't it become a Haz-Mat if flowing water involved.... that is where I can perceive it being Haz-Mat

correct me if I wrong but doesn't it become a Haz-Mat if flowing water involved.... that is where I can perceive it being Haz-Mat

Flowing water has nothing to do with it. It just adds a factor to it under teh clean water act. The actual definition of a "hazmat" actually comes down to which federal agency you were to look at. The OSHA's is different then the EPA. The EPA has a different definition then the DOT.

A general description is often used in emergency services course which I always found rather corny and can't remember it off the top of my head but starts with "something that when it jumps out at you..." Really? Jumps out lol.

But if a auto is leaking gas, oil or anti freeze they are in fact hazardous to the environment, wildlife and humans so they are a hazmat.

For example from: Institute of Hazardous Materials Management:

What Is Hazardous Material?

A hazardous material is any item or agent (biological, chemical, physical) which has the potential to cause harm to humans, animals, or the environment, either by itself or through interaction with other factors. Hazardous materials professionals are responsible for and properly qualified to manage such materials. This includes managing and/or advising other managers on such items at any point in their life-cycle, from process planning and development of new products; through manufacture, distribution and use; to disposal, cleanup and remediation.

Hazardous materials are defined and regulated in the United States primarily by laws and regulations administered by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), and the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). Each has its own definition of a "hazardous material."

OSHA's definition includes any substance or chemical which is a "health hazard" or "physical hazard," including: chemicals which are carcinogens, toxic agents, irritants, corrosives, sensitizers; agents which act on the hematopoietic system; agents which damage the lungs, skin, eyes, or mucous membranes; chemicals which are combustible, explosive, flammable, oxidizers, pyrophorics, unstable-reactive or water-reactive; and chemicals which in the course of normal handling, use, or storage may produce or release dusts, gases, fumes, vapors, mists or smoke which may have any of the previously mentioned characteristics. (Full definitions can be found at 29 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 1910.1200.)

EPA incorporates the OSHA definition, and adds any item or chemical which can cause harm to people, plants, or animals when released by spilling, leaking, pumping, pouring, emitting, emptying, discharging, injecting, escaping, leaching, dumping or disposing into the environment. (40 CFR 355 contains a list of over 350 hazardous and extremely hazardous substances.)

DOT defines a hazardous material as any item or chemical which, when being transported or moved, is a risk to public safety or the environment, and is regulated as such under the: Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR 100-180); International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code; Dangerous Goods Regulations of the International Air Transport Association; Technical Instructions of the International Civil Aviation Organization; U.S. Air Force Joint Manual, Preparing Hazardous Materials for Military Air Shipments.

The NRC regulates items or chemicals which are "special nuclear source" or by-product materials or radioactive substances. (See 10 CFR 20).