Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Rogue Rescue

Australian Bushfire updates

13 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the right spot but wanted to put a couple links to latest news on the bushfires in Victoria Australia.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/indepth/0,,5018723,00.html

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/

2 stories heard today from fire fighters are of one who went to the fires as a volunteer and his wife and both children died in the fires whilst he was gone and another crew who went to thier station as the fire was approaching and could only pull the fire truck out of the station and protect themselves on the road as the station and entire town completely burnt down.

Thanks, i have not gone over there but have sent almost 140 personel and an aircrane to assist.

The death toll currently stands at 181 and crews are only now starting to search houses in the areas so the number will likely rise.

Amazing pictures, I had no idea the alloy rims could melt like that! My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this tragedy. By the way, any info on what size handlines they use for brushlines there? they looked real small in those pictures.

The handlines in those pics are from another state and are only about 3/4 inch, i'm with you, they are too small but i guess they work for them. We use 1 inch and 1 1/2 inch here.

There are still over 100 people missing.

A firefighter from my station arrived at the fires today and said that there is still alot of fires going, fears are held at the moment that 2 large fires still burning will join and take out more houses.

1100 homes have been lost and 183 lives lost, also 7000 people are homeless.

The death toll for these fires is now 200 people

I am sad to announce that a firefighter has lost his life in the fire.

Today is a national day of mourning in Australia and a very sad day indeed.

We are finally getting some rain on the fireground much to the relief of fire fighters.... although 4 fires are still classed as out of control.

I am sad to announce that a firefighter has lost his life in the fire.

Today is a national day of mourning in Australia and a very sad day indeed.

Sorry to hear about losing a brother Fire Fighter R.I.P.

We are finally getting some rain on the fireground much to the relief of fire fighters.... although 4 fires are still classed as out of control.

I hope you get enough rain to put the fire out but not flooding.. did they catch the people who started some of them

I hope you get enough rain to put the fire out but not flooding.. did they catch the people who started some of them

They have caught 1 person and there is currently debate of what he will be charged with, as you can imagine everybody wants the book thrown at him but as per normal lawyers are saying he has mental problems etc etc... i say give him to the residents and let them decide.