Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SWS1

2009 Dodge Charger - Wilton CT Police Department

15 posts in this topic

The Wilton (CT) Police Department, has recently taken delivery of their 2009 Dodge Charger assigned to their Traffic Enforcement Division. While fully functional as a daily patrol vehicle, it's principal purpose is enforcement of motor vehicle laws, safety and public education.

The primary requirement was a discreet vehicle but highly visible when needed for vehicle stops, emergency response and officer safety. To meet this requirement Specialty Warning Systems incorporated an all Whelen LED package including front & rear Inner Edge interior lightbars, red and blue front windshield Inner Beams and two 4 inch round TIR6 LEDs in the lower fog light positions. Dual TIR3 LEDs in each rear side window provide side lighting while red and blue LIN4s mounted on either side of the license plate and two white HideAway LEDs in the backup light housings supplement the rear facing lighting. The OEM headlight and taillight flashers were also utilized in the overall system.

A Havis-Shields Stout Mount console contains the Panasonic CF19 laptop, department radio, Whelen SLSA6 system controller, dual power outlets, cup holder and flip up style armrest. Rear electronics are installed on a side mounted Havis-Shields fold up tray to retain as much of the available trunk space as possible.

Early feedback we've received from members of the unit indicate the car has more than surpassed the goals they were striving for.

We at Specialty Warning Systems, would like to thank the Wilton Police Department for the opportunity to provide this unique vehicle and look forward to a long and proactive working relationship.

See this Charger on YouTube

post-7323-1234752323.jpg

post-7323-1234752342.jpg

post-7323-1234752350.jpg

post-7323-1234752358.jpg

post-7323-1234752364.jpg

post-7323-1234752372.jpg

post-7323-1234752383.jpg

post-7323-1234752390.jpg

post-7323-1234752396.jpg

I like this car.......a lot.

And the Hawaii Five-0 music in the video is classic.

Nice ride. I much prefer the black rims with the silver center caps on cop Chargers, as opposed to the stock chrome mag wheels.

What frequency range is the flat round antenna? Any advantages/disadvantages over a standard whip antenna?

Nice looking car love the lights around the license plate

Looks nice, but I'm not a fan of the talons in the corner of the windshield

Looks nice, but I'm not a fan of the talons in the corner of the windshield

I think the corner of windshield lights are a great idea for intersection approach warning...also could have put them on the mirror housings, but the way SWS did this is much more discreet. Don't they make a 2 color talon? That may have worked just a slight bit better. Also like the side facing LED's mounted on the B post, they are cool, but this car probably would be better off not blocking an intersection as it has 0 markings. And I think 446 would like his job to get him one of these!!!!

Oh yeah, GREAT JOB! Once again by SWS!

Edited by Oswegowind

Looks good I don't think I've seen those corner lights on a car yet they look pretty cool.

As always, we appreciate all the feedback we receive from everyone that takes the time to view our posts. Just a quick reply to Oswegowind.......As one of the requirements was as discreet a final install as possible, we opted for the Inner Beams (as opposed to the Mirror Beams) to keep one less component off the exterior, that may be spotted by a potential "client". They afford the same basic angled intersection warning as you mentioned, without the lighthead visibility of the Mirror Beam.

The side mounted TIR3s do afford some side warning but the PD understands they are in no way nearly as effective as a full patrol configuration and don't anticipate using the new car in a similar manner to the typical (marked) patrol vehicle.......it's tough sometimes trying to find a balance between the specific vehicle requirements, overall capability and overall safety for the vehicle, operator and the public........

Thanks again for all the input.....good or bad, we want to hear it

Awesome job again by SWS. if it werent for the spot light on the A-post, you wouldnt think it were a police vehicle when passing it. Police should know, those lights are always a dead give away!

I have been the victim of a Charger-stop in Trumbull, CT. They have a black one all tricked out with a full carnival light package that had me fooled. It was black with black rims and very dark tint all around and just about every LED warning device manufactured. It was quite an impressive display while being an enormous waste of my tax dollars at the same time.

...he let me go...with a stern warning...nice policeman...