Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Age Limit for Active Service

8 posts in this topic

Should there be an upper age limit in the emergency services? We all read about the tragedies of "active members" in their 60's and 70's collapsing on scenes and the unfortunately unsucessful efforts to resuscitate them.

Now that they're trying to screw with the retirement systems and increase the number of years required for service before retirement, will we see an increase in these types of deaths?

What's everyone think?

A "quick and dirty" response/idea to a question that warrants a lot more thought: Adding mandatory annual stress tests could save lives and motivate others to stay in better shape.

In NYS, Teir 2 members of the NYS retirement system are already capped at age 62. That's both police and fire.

In NYS, Teir 2 members of the NYS retirement system are already capped at age 62. That's both police and fire.

NYS retirement changed that last month...its now 65

It did ?.....Haven't been to active in our local lately, missed that one!

I absolutely think so, I read about too many 78 year old fire police dying while directing traffic.

That varies a little bit. NYSP Members have a mandatory retirement age of 60. That was changed about three years ago, when the age was 57.

Not sure how relevant this is, but, I know that in California there are Correctional Officers still serving on Active Duty into their 70's.

-Joe DA BUFF