Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest WolfEMT

What happens when stupid kids get bored...

15 posts in this topic

BOOM

It's also known as a Drano bomb. I don't want to give the ingredients, as I don't want to encourage any younger impressionable viewers, but that's some nasty stuff.

And the best part is, usually both are found in the average household. Question is, does it really work. Some have speculated that that video is forged. Do Chlorine and Isopropyl Alcohol really cause an exothermic reaction when mixed?

I've heard that it does, although I have never tried it; not that I want to, either.

I have done some looking on the web (google is your god) and have confirmed that Chlorine and any Alcohol are incompatible and will indeed cause an explosion. Now I have to assume they mean the gas, not the misnomer for Sodium Hypocloride (Bleach).

This is a real video. It's used by FDNY as part of a new training program. The act of shaking the bottle made the process speed up and cause the thing to blow up sooner then the kids had thought.

As far as the drano Bomb. Big issue there is that the scene post blast is also very dangerous and can harm you. NYPD has delt with many of these.

I did some looking around, too. According to a buddy of mine who works in a swimming pool supply store; any alcohol combined with granulated chlorine (superchlorinator/shock used to quickly kill algae) or crushed up chlorine tablets will produce such a reaction. I didn't get any information regarding the post-detonation after effects, but I'm assuming it's just as bad, if not worse, than the initial explosion. The video is really sad in the sense that it shows just how dangerous ignorance and boredom can be...

Chlorine alone is dangerous enough, I worked with one ton cylinders of the stuff for over 10 years and I've seen first hand what it can do. As for your sodium hypochlorite, it can be dangerous if mixed with other non compatible chemicals. Chlorox + Ammonia = TROUBLE!!!

Yeah. Sodium Hypochloride + Ammonia = Chlorine Gas. Deadly in even small amounts. My guess is that it is Chlorine that is left over after the Draino Bomb explodes too making the area rather toxic. Now imagine some alcohol in the area. Suddenly the Chlorine Alcohol mixture spontaneously exploding. Bad double whammy.

:bong: ya a bunch of real bright kids here. they should try and surf on top of cars next after putting metal in the microwave. morons

From wat i remember from a video I had viewed a couple years back in my high school chemistry class, the Drano-Bomb, which the scientists that did the study in the video, revealed that the ingredients used have the stopping power equilvent to a stick of dynamite and that the "drano-bomb" left a 6 ft deep and 15 ft round crater in the testing field ......defiently a reminder that normal household cleaning agents are deadly.

This seems to be the new tool of amateur hoodlums. I do remember an incident before I got promoted where they had a couple of kids burned on a slide when a Drano bomb was set off nearby.

we'd have a problem on our hands if this became a terrorist weapon.

The ingredients are cheap and readily available; you can purchase them without arousing suspicion...It definitely would be a huge problem if it were a terrorist weapon.