Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Croton on Hudson Car vs. Backhoe Extrication 2/27/09

39 posts in this topic

I think my friend Tommy mentioned the airbag, the airbag did not deploy as the crunhing took place above the bumper and yes the bucket was about 6" from her face when I went over nand took a quick look before getting back to my pump panel.

I must say while leaving o-town on rt 9 it looked alot worse. i was suprised to see that one lane of traffic was still moving. diffenetly thought it was alot worse then it was. nice pics. wouldnt fault anyone with having statflight on standby.

Vests.....Croton EMS members, CFD, tow company, and photographers were wearing vests. CFD members who were operating on a line or extricating wore their PPE. We attempted to position apparatus also to protect rescuers, thanks to orders of 2083 and common sense. You will notice other agencie's operating didn't wear their vests or any reflective clothing.

Croton EMS is equipped with the proper vests, and it's habit for all CFD personnel to wear their issued PPE at calls (due to extensive training in house and taking advantage of NYS classes). Other agencies need to follow suit to protect themselves.

I must say while leaving o-town on rt 9 it looked alot worse. i was suprised to see that one lane of traffic was still moving. diffenetly thought it was alot worse then it was. nice pics. wouldnt fault anyone with having statflight on standby.

Mo again as friends..nothing pointed intended. However couple of thing to keep in mind about your statement and "wouldn't fault anyone with having statflight on standby."

1. Your comment itself is something that I'm trying to point out. Looks isn't a criteria to either call for or put a medevac on standby.

2. I will stand by my original stance and my overall point across every thread we've discussed this and for what I preach in the streets and in the classroom. You can find fault with putting a medevac on standby for what would have equated to a around a 9 mile flight. There is no net gain in time with this short hop to WMC. In fact you may be quicker by getting them in the bus and moving to the med center...not the LZ to again sit there for minutes that you could be moving towards definite care.

Yet again I am going to put out my disclaimer. Everyone did their job and this isn't anything toward anyone or any agency on scene. This is a overall comment on my part about the use of medevac in what could be called questionable or even inappropriate reason. It has also morphed apparently into some myths about what medevacs can and cannot do.

Great shots & story

It's just too bad this turned into the usual topic of call or don't call for a bird, should have done this should have done that!

Great shots & story

It's just too bad this turned into the usual topic of call or don't call for a bird, should have done this should have done that!

Really...too bad huh? In some parts of our business the should have done this or should've done that can make a big difference. This wasn't a story, it was an incident and as with all should be critiqued. To some the use of medevac's is a critical topic and one that needs to be significantly addressed in this region. Maybe if more people in emergency services started talking more about what did go right..which in this incident many things did...to what could have been done even better and what should have been done perhaps we can all become even better, have better patient outcomes, effect the system overall and open lines of communications lacking in most of our agencies, instead of worrying about just simply patting each other on the back because of a "successful" outcome.

If anyone is only worried about the beloved photos by all means just look at them...and pass right by what the advocates for professionalism and better services are discussing.

Actually it was only about 3 inches from her forehead, i was astonished she was awake, and talked to me no problem. She did not have any obvious injuries and did not even start to complain about her ankle until a few minutes into it. The bucket missed the bumper entirely, and caught the roof just right..driver side door was intact, and not a singe airbag inflated.

Great job guys, i understand y'all were buzy that day, but your crew did a great job.

I think she was slightly P.O.ed she had the car less than one day. But i think it saved her tail.

Mike

I dont think ALSfirefighter is bad mouthing anyone. As most do including me and a bunch of guys from my firehouse, when we get done with a call we discuss it and critique it. If you dont do this as a emergency responder than how will you get on the job training some might call this expierience. Tommy(if I may say your name) is not bad mouthing here he is just critiquing. He might even learn something out of this himself as we all should. It is awesome to here from everyone on this even if thier not in our department. Thats why I was mad when EMTbravo got rid of the incident alert discussion thread. Tommy (alsfirefighter) is just pointing out that ems and the bus are already on scene and its quiker than the bird for croton in this situation and I agree. Tommy has alot of expierience with EMS and Firefighting and is a well trained paramedic so his words and points will be well apreciated by all involved, iam sure.

With the above said I will back Croton ems in thier decision as it could have been a prolonged incident and the bird can land on the highway as done in the past as an LZ. The person who made the request to put the bird on standby is a highly trained FF/emt who I would trust my life in his hands (FDVA356). No harm in the fact of the bird being put on stand by. The Helicopter is great in other situations as well. Ex. If the patients injuries demand a certian hospital for treament and that hospital is far away.

This seems to have started another topic of ground Vs air and when to use it. Hey iam glad a call of ours can assist in constructive critisism and may have started another topic.