Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WAS967

Yonkers - 5th Alarm 12-22-03

30 posts in this topic

Surprised to see that this wasn't listed yet. Where are all our south county buffs? Seems there has been a streak of LARGE fires in Yonkers. What the heck is going on down there?

NBC News 4 is broadcasting live pictures from Chopper4 with flames shooting out of the roof of the building.

From News12: "Firefighters in Yonkers are battling a general alarm blaze at 147 School Street. Mutual aid has been called to the scene. So far there is no word on any injuries"

****See below for report******

Additional from News12: The structure is a Auto Repair Shop and Luxury Auto Dealership (Jaguar). No reported injuries as of 1800. General Alarm: All Hands Working. Mutual Aid requested from surrounding sources.

Photos received from 621West To Be Posted Shortly. More From DFFD227 and HFD211 as they are recieved. .

Date: 12/22/2003  

Surprised to see that this wasn't listed yet. Where are all our south county buffs? "

ALL THE SOUTH WESTCHESTER BUFFS ARE DOWN THERE! LOL

Photos are now posted, www.emtbravo.com More as they are recieved.

Date: 12-22-03

Time: 1555hrs (original time out)

Location: 147 School St. and 188 S. Boadway (bet. Bright Pl. X Herriot Pl.)

Frequency:46.500/484.7125

Units: All Yonkers FD units (11 engines, 6 ladders, rescue, B-1 and 2, Mask Service, Car 2, Car 4, Car 5, Car 6) with additional ladder (TL-77), Mask Service Unit #2, B-3 and New Rochelle E-22

Description: 5th Alarm-Car fire in auto body shop with ext. to 4 story ordinary vacant.

Writer:Truck4

1557hrs- B-1 rpts. 10-29 in 1 story industrial.

Exposure #1- street, #2-(2) story commercial, #3- 4 story vacant, #4- 2-1/2 story OMD. No exposure problems.

1558hrs- B-1 req. E-304 and L-74 to enter School St. from Bright Pl.

1601hrs- B-1 req. 2nd Alarm for heavy fire in a 1 story auto body shop. Units responding are advising that the building may be attached to a 4-story vacant at the New Main St. X S. Broadway split. Also being advised that L-72 is using a spare apparatus with an inoperable aerial (TL-71 is using spare TL-77).

1603hrs- 2nd Alarm Co's to redirect to the S. Broadway side of the fire for smoke pushing from the 4 story vacant.

1610hrs- 3rd Alarm transmitted. Original fire building (1-story auto body) connects to rear exposure at 2nd floor level. Heavy fire in rear exposure on 2nd and 3rd floor rear. 3rd alarm co's to respond to S. Broadway X New Main St.

1616hrs- Car 2 req. 4th alarm for heavy fire in 4-stroy vacant with boarded and plexiglass windows. Co's making progress on fire in 1-story auto body shop.

1622hrs- M/A New Rochelle E-22 and Ladder 12 to cover.

1630hrs- Setting up lines for ladder pipe op's. TL-75, L-70, L-73 set up I/F/O. Co's opening up. Heavy smoke pushing from 2nd -3rd floors. M/A Mount Vernon Engine and Truck to cover.

1647hrs- Heavy fire venting out multiple windows on exp. 2 and 4 sides. Pulling co's from roof and interior. Setting up ladder pipes and outside lines.

1700hrs- 2 ladder pipes, 1 tower ladder in op. Lines into orig. exp. 2 I/R/O and operating out windows.

1740hrs- 5th Alarm- additional Eng. and Trk. to scene. TL-71's rig will be placed back into service as the truck co., New Rochelle E-22 is the engine. Heavy fire thru roof in rear. Fire beginning to darken down.

1800hrs- TL-71 to report to parking lot on south side of building, back in and set up. M/A Fairview TL to cover Sta. 12.

New Rochelle L-12 and Yonkers reserve engine 301 I/S at Sta. 1. Mount Vernon covering Sta.3.

1840hrs- Car 4 reports heavy fire darkening down. Co's re-entering building.

1850hrs- E-309 req. PD to Herriot and School for fight involving FF's , Empress and civilians. Numerous PD units responding.

1858hrs- R/C 310 rpts. situation U/C

1925hrs- Car 4 reports co's removed from building. Resuming exterior operations.

1930hrs- Yonkers E-305 I/S responding to Sta. 3 to relieve Mount Vernon Engine.

1941hrs- Car 4 reports exterior op's shut down. Co's re-entering building.

Under Control at 2000 hrs, releasing Mutual Aid Co's.

Sounds like a firebug's goin around.

No firebugs, just a very strange year. This fire originated as a car fire in the auto body shop. Last week's fire was blamed on a space heater.

Some interesting points:

-Yonkers operated with TL-75, TL-71 and TL-77. This was the first time Yonkers had 3 Yonkers Tower Ladders working at one fire.

-Contrary to what News 12 reported, the fire originated in the 1-story auto body shop on School St. and spread to the 4-story vacant former Jaguar dealer. It was not a 4-story auto body shop.

-Also, the only mutual aid operating at the job was New Rochelle E-22 (It was surprising to see the new Fairview Tower Ladder in Sta.12).

-This was the 4th job this year to reach or exceed 4 alarms in Yonkers. The first two occured within 2 days of each other and this one was just 5 days after the last.

Interesting points during yesterday's 5 Alarm Fire in Yonkers. Ladder 72 (2002 Smeal Rear Mount) was using Spare Ladder 76 (Seagrave Rear Mount), to which YFD found out that Spare Ladder 76 Aerial was "inoperable" at the time that L72 (using Spare L76) arrived at fire scene. [2002 Smeal Ladder was in DPW Garage for repairs]. TL71 (ALF TL) was using Reserve TL 77 (Refurbed Mack Baker), because TL71 was awaiting repairs. Oddly, went fire went to 5th Alarm, Chief Pagano called TL71 back into service to respond to scene, just to have access to tools on Truck (Bucket was inoperable). I also agree that it was nice to see that they brought the New Fairview TL down to cover Yonkers at Station 12 on Fortfield Avenue. However, it was highly unlikely that YFD would have called in the Fairview TL to the Fire Scene. YFD would have used New Rochelle and/or Mount Vernon Ladder to assist first. You can now see what a "Beating" the YFD Rigs have been taking with all of these recent Fires, even with New Rigs in Service. Any thoughts on the matter?

I heard that The crowed was getting rowdy, and they started to mess with the firemen. There was a fight, and I believe a firemen called in a 10-66, or was going to call it in.

are you sure tha Tl-71 didn;t operate? i was there they were settin it up in that drive way after having cut the fence away to gain access to the drive way why go through that work and put the stablizers down if it was inoperable?.. why place it so close just for tools, and i was told that 71 was operating and spraying watter, i am not sure caz i went around back at that point but does nay one know to clarify?

It could have been that TL 71 (ALF T/L) could raise its bucket "slightly" and could pump from its Monitor, but, the Rig (TL71) was indeed "Out of Service" because of Mechanical Difficulties and the Men of TL 71 were using and responded to the fire on Reserve TL 77. From what my sources have told me, the only YFD Ladder Companies that were operating with Ladder Extensions were TL 75, L70 and L73. L72, as noted was using spare L76 rig to which its Aerial Ladder was inoperable. I do not know if L 74 was extened or not.

75 and 70 and 73 were all up on south broadway... 74 and 77 had the rear of the building both were up... 74 was spraying water as well as 70 and 75 and 73.. 77 encountered over head wires and was placed on the roof of the rear exposure.. 72 which was using spare 76 was also in the fron og the building with a OOS ladder.. and 71 had the side and was operation as well so all ladder pipes were up in use at some point with the exception that 77 was not using its master stream to my knowledge

Thanks for the information. After checking with another source of mine in the department, your statements are correct. Ladder 72 (Using Spare 76) had its ladder OOS. TL77 had low wire issues and functioned on the roof. TL75, L70, L73, & L74 were all pouring in water, as did TL71 when it was brought back into service. Mechanical Issue with TL71 (ALF) was within the engine and not with the Ladder Operation. Thus, although not able to be in service as a front line rig (Thus the reason that TL77 was being used as primary in lieu of TL71 at Station 1), it was used at this fire scene to provide additional water onto facade of Building. Understand that Repair Shop has Reservce L76 (Seagrave) now being repaired, with L72 (Smeal) back in service as well has they also have TL71 (ALF) to work on as well (With TL 77 [Mack Baker] being used at Station 1 until their rigs is returned). Boy o Boy - These YFD Rigs have surely been taken to the task over this past year!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for the information.

They deffinatly are taking a beating, it makes you wonder if they are going to think about replacing 70 or 74 this way they can drop one of those down to 76, mabe even a new TL to become 71 and 71 ccould become 77 rather then 75 which is newer...this would give them newer front line rigs, and the ability to have newer spares which have scene alot of work lately... i still stand by the fact the city needs more companies, i think another engine and truck in the city would help a great deal.. also ponder the fact what if yonkers had a engine with a CAF system could this have helped contain the fire quicker?

Alot of departments in their rush to aid their neighbors don;t make very good arrangements to protect their own district, what if they had a worker in their 1st due area? how long would M/a units take to arrive?

whats the deal with the fight? people were messing with a fireman about what?

I'm not sure...When I was down there the crowed looked really rowdy. When I got home I heard Yonkers Firemen calling in a 10-60, need police.

I was wondering...How does the YFD use there FAST Team system? How do they determine who is the FAST team?

Correct address for 4 story building- 188 S. Broadway. It was demolished Tuesday night.

When a signal 10-30 is given, the dispatcher is supposed to automatically send a 5th engine company to respond as a FAST team. Usually on a 10-29, the 4th due engine acts as FAST.

And Chief Kiernan made the call on 71, not Chief or Commisioner Pagano. (biting lip.....)

I dont think there was much to the "fight." I believe it was just a disorderly male and never escalated past verbal. No one was arrested.

ladder 72 was also assigned as fast whent he 3rd alarm came in due to the inoperable ladder.. as well as i believe eng 308 who was the 4th due engine on the 1st alarm that may have been changed when the 3rd and 4th alarms went in.. but 72 was one of two fast teams i heard assigned

Any Mutual Aid act as the FAST? Engine 22?

Engine 22 fed Tower Ladder 71. You dont usually see a dedicated FAST team in front of the building in Yonkers like you would see in say, NYC.

What about New Rochelle Ladder? What was it doing during the Fire?...Dont remember seeing it.

Ladder 12 was covering Sta. 1 with Eng. 301

It's odd...almost a week later and the damn thing still rekindled...... :shock: