Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Law and order SVU: Yonkers filming on March-6 ?

4 posts in this topic

What type of stunt were they filming Friday night on Van Cortlandt near Radford Street??

The star's detective car had a hose and a device rigged to the outside of the passenger door.

Was it for a very minor explosion??? The Journal News today said the car was to explode, but I doubt it

having worked in these projects before and seeing the car with it's original roof still intact. If the

car was to totally explode Friday night, then they would have had the effects guys rigging it hours ahead

of time. Leave it to the Journal News to get it work. Anti-cop Ernie Garcia must have written it...

The other night I had the 11PM re runs on and it looked like a scene was shot outside the NY State thruway

rest stop just above Stew Leonard's.

I know that a car was lit on fire for the filming, I don't remember any info about "explosion."

I guess that the Journal News Staff knows more than anyone else, since they reported it as an explosion. Maybe the Journal News Reporters are connected with people at NBC or the Law and Order SVU Production Team OR maybe they have an "In" with someone within the New York Ledger (L&A SVU's aka for the New York Post)?

What type of stunt were they filming Friday night on Van Cortlandt near Radford Street??

The star's detective car had a hose and a device rigged to the outside of the passenger door.

Was it for a very minor explosion??? The Journal News today said the car was to explode, but I doubt it

having worked in these projects before and seeing the car with it's original roof still intact. If the

car was to totally explode Friday night, then they would have had the effects guys rigging it hours ahead

of time. Leave it to the Journal News to get it work. Anti-cop Ernie Garcia must have written it...

The other night I had the 11PM re runs on and it looked like a scene was shot outside the NY State thruway

rest stop just above Stew Leonard's.

The effect that was filmed was to replicate a molotov cocktail being thrown at an unmarked police car and the car "blowing up". After extensive discussion with the film crew, director, and stunt coordinator, we allowed them to do this with a long list of conditions. We had a fully manned Engine Company standing by and also a Fire Prevention Officer overseeing all the preparations as well as the stunt, all paid for by them.

The bottle which was thrown contained a non flammable solution with a wick on the end. The car was carefully prepared and inspected by us. Gas tank and all fluids removed, struts and pistons drilled and bled, floormats, seat bottoms and headliner removed, as well as some other precautions which slip my mind right now. A damping material was applied to the roof and hood of the car and then a "pyro" solution was applied (basically Naptha but a bit more stable). Propane bars were attached to the side of the car and supplied by a 40lb. tank to give the effect desired. They were told that the flames should come no higher than 2 1/2 ft. above the roofline and our Fire Prevention Officer had immediate access to the quarter turn shutoff if he deemed it needed to be shut down. Their own personell were responsible for any routine fire extinguishment necessary with CO2 extinguishers. Our guys were hooked up to a hydrant and had a charged 1 3/4" handline ready to go. They were wearing full turnouts and SCBA but I don't know if their waiststraps were fastened and I don't care, qtip....

There were more conditions but that's the basics. Everything was written down in detail and agreed to beforehand. We made them go back to the drawing board 2 or 3 times because we weren't happy with their first couple of plans. They actually were very professional and accomodating though.

I wasn't there for the "explosion" which was done sometime after dark on Friday but I assume it went ok because nobody called me to blame me for everything that went wrong.