Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Houston, TX-Serious Fire Engine vs. Fire Truck MVA 3-30-09

12 posts in this topic

Looks extremly serious. Thoughts and prayers are with all those involved....

PHOTOS:

http://www.chron.com/news/photogallery/Hou...ks_collide.html

STORY:

"No skid marks in firetruck accident"

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6349761.html

Street view of intersection:

http://blogs.chron.com/newswatch/2009/03/s...ays_housto.html

Hope all get better and back on the job soon. Another reminder to always buckle up and slow down....

Shame such new apparatus were totaled in this crash. The ladder was six months old and the engine was a year old.

i hope everyone involved makes a full recovery. a shame to see such beautiful apparatus destroyed, but it can be replaced.

Prayers for a speedy recovery for all involved.

I had the oppurtunity to view the trucks this morning. Both the truck and engine are totalled, and that's putting it lightly. It is probaly one of the most scary sights I've ever seen. It really is a miracle all firefighters survived and are doing well, and thoughts and prayers are with the civilians who were seriously injured.

On another note, Houston will be doing a comprehensive investigation, as well as NIOSH, obviously. Both apparatus involved were Ferrara on Ferrara Igniter Chasis, and the cabs seemed to have held up pretty well-given the severity of the impact. Also being looked at are the Opticom devices on the apparatus and on the traffic signal.

Both apparatus were from the same station (7).

Speedy recovery to all

Speedy recovery to all that were injured. From the looks of where the bicycle was it looks like the car kept her from being crushed.

I had the oppurtunity to view the trucks this morning. Both the truck and engine are totalled, and that's putting it lightly. It is probaly one of the most scary sights I've ever seen. It really is a miracle all firefighters survived and are doing well, and thoughts and prayers are with the civilians who were seriously injured.

On another note, Houston will be doing a comprehensive investigation, as well as NIOSH, obviously. Both apparatus involved were Ferrara on Ferrara Igniter Chasis, and the cabs seemed to have held up pretty well-given the severity of the impact. Also being looked at are the Opticom devices on the apparatus and on the traffic signal.

Both apparatus were from the same station (7).

Seth, you say that both were from the same station, was the truck relocated? according to the map it came from sta 16 there are a lot of questions given the 2 different routes that they took according to the map / news.

I certainly hope everyone makes a full and speedy recovery but it highlights the fact that we ALL (whether paid or volunteer, fire, police or EMS) need to SLOW DOWN!!!

SLOW DOWN! The lights and siren are not a force field! Who knows? The life you save may be your own!

Seth, you say that both were from the same station, was the truck relocated? according to the map it came from sta 16 there are a lot of questions given the 2 different routes that they took according to the map / news.

I stand corrected. It was Ladder 16 from Station 16 and Engine 7 from Station 7. Ladder 16 was only 6 months old, Engine 7 almost a year old. They were responding to smoke condition in an area where a planned smoke test of the sewer system. Reports say that area residents were notified with fliers, and the FD was notifed. Regardless, FD has to respond if they get a call. Houston is a pretty progressive department. There is a throrough investigation underway, and once the report comes out, I think they will come up with some new response concepts, and it highly likely that there will be some disciplinary penalties.

On a side note, another multi-fire truck accident occurred in October 1957 in Houston. Two firefighters were injured when pumper units from Stations 7 and 16 collided while en route to a trash fire.