Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rescue, why 88?

8 posts in this topic

It seems like White Plains skipped a bunch of numbers when they gave the new rescue its designation. Why was the #88 selected? Is there any signifigance?

When attempting to pick a number for the new rescue we looked at the county Roster and most of the numbers for rescues were taken up into the 40's, if I recall correctly. The County also advised us not to duplicate a number that was already assigned to one of our other company's (ladders 32,33,34, TL6, Engines 65,66,67,68,69,70,71,72,73,210) So as you can see our choices were limited to start with. We read aloud the remaining numbers to the committee and #88 just sounded good, we stuck a big Mars 888 light on the front nicknamed them "Crazy Eights" and the rest was history although not very scientific.

GOt it, just curious about the background, thanks for the info.

Its great to see a Rescue Truck finally in the City. I always felt it was long overdue. I know its kinda late, but best wishes to all on the Rescue and all the WP companies....

Thanks, It is a huge undertaking, starting a rescue company from scratch. The equipment to be ordered and training that needs to be done is a little overwhelming. The company started riding in July 2004 and they are in pretty good shape. There is still more equipment on order that should be in shortly, and then we can finalize the apparatus inventory. The fire fighters that man the rig all volunteered for the duty and they have really gone above and beyond in all areas.

what do u mean by volunteer each duty?

what do u mean by volunteer each duty?

Correct me if I am wrong lieut2, but I think he meant that the members assigned to the Rescue Co. volunteered to be assigned there and take on all the extra training and work.

you are correct, when I say they volunteered, no one was ordered to ride the rig. We were looking for fire fighters that were enthusiastic and would go the extra mile.