x635

Health officials probe Ossining man's death after alleged defibrillator fire

9 posts in this topic

Health officials probe Ossining man's death after alleged defibrillator fire

By Jorge Fitz-Gibbon and Candice Ferrette

jfitzgib@lohud.com • April 17, 2009

SLEEPY HOLLOW — State health officials are investigating the death of an

Ossining man who allegedly caught fire at Phelps Memorial Hospital Center

while being treated with a defibrillator.

FULL STORY: http://www.lohud.com/article/20090417/NEWS02/904170413

What a ridiculous article they posted with hardly any information and with many on the lohud forums jumping to conclusions as usual I look forward to the outcome of the investigation. When working in the OR I always knew you had to ensure that the bovie cauteries were well grounded to the patient to limit the risk of sparks and that the connections to the airway device being used were tight so flammable anesthesia gas wouldn't leak out cause a fire hazard. It looks like Phelps did all the right things as reports were made and because there apparently either a fire or burn injury the FD was notified as required as well.

I've heard that it was a fire alarm activation that brought the FD there. I also doubt any wrongdoing by the staff at PMH, it sounds like a freak accident.

excuse the two cents but it could be something from a movie or tv show. I am sure there is a logical and reasonable reason why this happened and it will show what an accident it is. Sounds like a one in a million chances/odds to me.

excuse the two cents but it could be something from a movie or tv show. I am sure there is a logical and reasonable reason why this happened and it will show what an accident it is. Sounds like a one in a million chances/odds to me.

Another urban legend is born. There could have been gas or oil exposed clothing not yet removed. The DOH should tell the tail.

Even if it can cause a fire, it sounds like a reasonable side effect. It is the only (or largely most successful) possible cure for a pretty significant ailment. I think it would be more of a training issue for operators than something to avoid due to the chance of fire.

Edited by mfkap

Considering there thousands upon thousands of defibrillation attempts every year I'd day its pretty rare. 3 of those 4 articles were about 1 incident and the 4th is about the phenomenon in general. I would bet that all of these fires were the result of human error (wrong gel, improper placement, etc), defective equipment, or static.

NY...I was thinking exactly the same thing you posted. Additionally you must keep in mind that any issue that occurs no matter how minor if an adverse event occurs or an injury to a patient you must report the incident to the DOH.