Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markmets415

Insurance issues relating to POV and District vehicles

3 posts in this topic

There were some excellent issues that where discussed in another thread that were off topic that involved insurance and the operation of a personal vehicle as an emergency vehicle and district or company vehicles and coverage. This discussion was very positive and clearly needed to be continued so I started a new thread on that very topic.

As posted by member Steve Shryock:

I'll look through the VTL and check with a few friends who are attorneys that work for insurance companies and do the defense work on these types of accidents.

The municipality may get a rider from their insurance company to cover a POV only for the times the POV is used in emergency mode. that is usually coordinated between the insurance companies, the insured (dept member) and the agents. The member must still maintian his personal coverage to cover him when not on official duties but there have been agreements in the past with endorsements on the policies that if, for example, a chief uses his personal vehicle for response then the department will only cover him for those responses. Finally there member may have to have very high liability limits, such as a million dollars per accident coverage (nys min auto insurance is 25,000/50,000).

I will also check with the PD about the MV104 notations.

Finally VAC officer POV may be the same as for firefighter.

I'll make a few calls & research it. may take a few days though to get everyone's opinion.

I have not forgotten about this and am still waiting on some answers to make an intelligent post on all of it.

I should have it up this weekend with some citations.

thanks Steve we are waiting patiently, again thanks for taking the time to look into this for us, it is much appreciated.