Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KC2OBW

What was it like your first time? Doing CPR, that is.

41 posts in this topic

I dont remember my first CPR call but the one that will haunt me forever was doing it on my own grandmother who on her 76th birthday just finished blowing out her candles when she slumped back on her chair and went out. Despite my efforts as well as the ems crew ( Abbey Richmond at the time) she passed away. Anyone else ever have to try and revive a relative?

Unforutnately, yes. I was called to the home of my grandmother twice while working as a paramedic - both times for heart attacks. The second time she arrested during the call. Thanks to our efforts and those of the ER staff, she made it to CCU but she died later that night. That was a long night!

Unforutnately, yes. I was called to the home of my grandmother twice while working as a paramedic - both times for heart attacks. The second time she arrested during the call. Thanks to our efforts and those of the ER staff, she made it to CCU but she died later that night. That was a long night!

Yes, but I'm sure she was happy and relieved both times to see YOU coming to her rescue. Same for you, HFD219... I'm sorry she died but I'm happy she had you with her when she did. I bet both your grandmas are hanging out together these days, bragging to everyone up there about their HERO grandsons!!!

Edited by Tapout

I can't remember my first time doing CPR but one of my first calls was when I was a volunteer I heard a call go out for unconscious unresponsive female in her residnece in the middle of the day. I was like 2 blocks away so decided to go see if the engine chauffer could use a hand. I followed him and the grandson was there begging us to help grandma out. We went into the bedroom my partner went to take a pulse and found one, she woke up looked up at us and said"what the hell you doing to me"? " I was taking a dam nap" why ya bothering me? We all started laughing and the kid was somewhat embaressed but explained that he tried to wake her up and she wouldn't. Before we left the kid was okay .....

Edited by tdc202

1987 AT AN AUTO ACCIDENT ON NORTH AVENUE IN PLEASANT VALLEY 5AM JEEP INTO A TREE.

Early '70's at a working fire. Victim was found in the bathtub on the second floor. Several of us dragged him out to the porch and initiated CPR. Victim survived.....but I broke two of his ribs.

Haven't broke any more ribs since. Whew !!!

Edited by dadbo46

Fall of 1986 in Irvington. I was heading to lunch (I was still in HS) when they banged us out for a fainting at the Luncheonette at the top of Main Street. It was on the way, so I stopped. Guy was sitting in a booth with his head on the table and the waitress was applying a cool compress to his neck. I asked if he was breathing and they said he was. I looked over and he was blue. Checked that he was breathing, and he wasn't. I pulled him on the floor and - as everyone else remarked - the training kicked in. What I remember clear as day was the "check for responsiveness" step. I was hitting that guy and shaking him, willing him to respond. That one step, where in training you always gloss over, remains the most vivid part of the incident for me.

He did not make it, and unfortunately, I have since done CPR many, many more times, and still have not had a save. Just to show how hard it is to have a save, this fall we had a runner drop in front of our firehouse at about 7am. This was a witnessed arrest, in front of 4 paramedics and 12 fireman (our shifts change at 7, so we had twice the staff) and we are less than a 1/2 mile from the hospital. CPR was started within 30 seconds, shocked within 2 mins, and at the hospital in about 5 mins. He still did not make it.

Be safe,

JR

I dont remember my first CPR call but the one that will haunt me forever was doing it on my own grandmother who on her 76th birthday just finished blowing out her candles when she slumped back on her chair and went out. Despite my efforts as well as the ems crew ( Abbey Richmond at the time) she passed away. Anyone else ever have to try and revive a relative?

Yeah.... my great Uncle a couple of years ago. The entire first crew was cousins of mine doing what we could to no avail. It sucked, not gonna lie.

First time was in late 70's in the back of an old Caddy Ambulance....worked well...could brace back against roof for support...but alas....to no avail. I've had 1 save in all my years....a woman in her early 40's in the mid 80's when I was a member in EF. She coded while enroute to hospital...Former CC7. Mike Quinn was the driver....let me tell you....he got us to vassar in a hurry. I had a rookie AFA (advanced first aider for you young'ns) on with me. I think he's was in worse shape than the woman! But all survived. To this day, that rookie is still a very active member of EF Co. 3.

First time doing CPR for me was on Christmas EVE 1991. I was in EMT class (The big'un done at Putnam Valley Firehouse where we had like 60 people in class with 4 CICs helping out - it was nuts). I wanted to do CPR on my ER rotations at least once so I knew I was doing right. Code comes in and we do our thing. Not a save. Sucked having to tell someone that their loved one died on Christmas EVE. Cest la vie.

Only had two "real" saves over the years. One was off duty at Premier Athletic Club. Finished working out one day and heard someone calling for a doctor on the overhead to the tennis court. Man down, CPR started rght away by his tennis coplayers. Shoked by CCVAC once on arrival. I think he was awake prior to arriving at the ER. The other being an 8 year old Traumatic Arrest from a car accident in Somers.

To all of you who posted awesome, happy, sad, and entertaining posts to this thread:

Please remember ONE thing from an ICU/ER/and now happy, quiet, mellow nursing home RN who has coded more residents, family members, and fellow employees than she can count on all hands and feet and who has also broken more ribs than ALL of you posters COMBINED...

NEVER, EVER assume the outcome of a code. Go all out like it's your own mom, grandma or kid. The least likely to survive your crazy, aggressive thumping WILL survive, and the one you mentally wrote off on-sight before even touching their sternum will pull through, survive, and bizarrely find you just to thank you for saving them. Been there, done that, didn't know what to say and felt guilty for months afterwards!

Learn from me. Never assume the end. Crank out the means like your own life depends on it. If you cheat death, great. If not, you'll know nothing else but what you did could have been done.

Tapout

My first time was doing rotations in the ER during my original EMT class in the early 80's in CT. (for those CT guys on the board Midstate wasn't midstate it was east and west campus) Anyways it kinda sucked. We worked this guy who was a DNR but his kids cut the bracelet off so we had to work him. He was a CA pt forgot what kind of CA but it sucked because we brought him back to live however much longer in pain, then that same night we had a lady who a nursing home thought was pulling their leg and left her on the ground for god knows how long, needless to say we worked her and she didn't make it. Crazy night that was the ER was booming - oh I forgot to mention it was halloween. And yes my a** was going 1,2,3, etc and I did say breathe. Then I got introduced really quick to the real way once I hit the streets. BTW, something to make you chuckle. My first call as an EMT was a maternity call, I was working with my sons Godfathers wife (she was a medic) and she was cracking up because all you heard me saying all the way to the call and up the stairs to the 3rd floor was "please don't be crowning, please don't be crowning" Oh did I get my chops broke after that....

I'll tell you though, as I look back on my EMS days, I have to smile, 99.9% of the people I worked with were great and I wouldn't change anything if I did it all again....

Joe

PS-WAS967 I remember hearing about that code from Somers. Good job on your part.

Edited by joetnymedic