Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY Firefighter Pulls Man from Canal

4 posts in this topic

Gross, but well done! Was this firefighter on duty?

FDNY Firefighter Pulls Man from Canal

Posted: 05-10-2009

The Associated Press

NEW YORK --

A city firefighter jumped into the polluted waters of the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn to save a driver from his sinking car.

Richard Staiti needed a hepatitis shot after his time in the canal, notorious for industrial pollution. He had gone in to get the driver of a Volvo that went in the water early Saturday.

Staiti ended up spending more time in the water than necessary, after he was told there had been children in the car. That turned out not to be true.

Police charged the car's operator with drunken driving.

FULL STORY: http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/a...mp;sectionId=46

I'd rather jump into a spetic tank. The act of voluntarily entering the Gowanus alone earns this guy a medal.

I'd rather jump into a septic tank. The act of voluntarily entering the Gowanus alone earns this guy a medal.

I agree 9000%. This heroic firefighter might want to chat with his doctor about immunoglobulins (immune system boosters for those of us who've gotten stuck with cootie-infested needles) and getting on them forthwith.

Ew. Seriously. Double-forthwith. :blink:

Sometimes being within a few blocks of the canal is too much for me! I would have serious reservations about actually making contact with water, although some scientists searching for a cure for cancer were looking at the film on top. Something about if something can live in that water, it can live anywhere else. Definitely above my pay scale.