Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x648eng119

Oklahoma Firefighter Collapses at Scene

3 posts in this topic

Oklahoma Firefighter Collapses at Scene

Firehouse.Com News

The U.S. Fire Administration has received notice that a Brooken, Oklahoma Volunteer Fire Department member died in the line of duty January, 26.  

Firefighter Donald Conner, 74, was involved fighting a forest fire around noon. He was on a one-inch line and had returned to his brush-truck to reposition the apparatus when he collapsed. The cause of death is being investigated.  

The Brooken VFD is in Stigler, Oklahoma and led by Chief Frank Deshazo. Stigler is in the middle of the state near the Arkansas State line.  

Memorial Fund:  

C/o Brooken Volunteer Fire Department, 30021 S CR 4300, Stigler, OK 74462.

not trying to be mean, but 74 is a little old. is there any law or anything that states what the oldest age is that someone can be in a vol. fire dept as a front line firefighter. not as a driver or cheif or anything like that just on a frontline fireman. also was eh wearing a scba durning this operations or that is still unkown? :-k

Just to be sure about the age, I checked the U.S.Fire Administration and, 74 is correct. The official cause of death is listed as "stress/exertion".

afd65, the SCBA qustion is unknown. My reaction upon reading this sad news was the same as yours. However, it seems to me the ultimate responsibility for assigning manpower to the scene rests upon the Dept. involved in the person of the Chief or the IC.

Since we weren't there to witness it, I'll have to assume that Brooken VFD deemed FF Conner fit for duty to advance a 1" line.....

FF Donald Conner, RIP