Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EFFD4091-MLSS emt

TransCare acquires Alamo EMS (transition on August 1)

26 posts in this topic

I am sorry to all those who are being hosed. With that being said I don't know the particulars of all the details of the transition. As I understand employees will lose seniority but PTO will be paid up to a "max" allowance. Again if I am wrong please correct me. I also have to say the point of this thread is not to bash any employees or companies but to let our brothers and sisters here know that we are here for them. IF THIS BECOMES ANY TYPE OF BASHING I REQUEST THE THREAD BE THEN LOCKED! Again to all those I am sorry and I hope that T.C. does right by those with experience and knowledge of the areas they serve.

Let me explain what I mean... by "hosed" I mean having 6 weeks left at your place of employment after being there for "x" amount of years and having such short notice. IDNBY but 6 weeks is a relative short notice to figure where you are going to go - or what you are going to do... I have also heard from Alamo employees that those currently in Medic school will only have the current semester payed for.... and the rest is either whatever TC is going to do or, on their own. So I don't know about you but to me it would feel as if I was hosed.... and that is what I am referring to....

Edited by EFFD4091-MLSS emt

I second that...best of luck to all Alamo Employees! I hope everything goes smooth and its an easy transition for all.

Thank you guys.

As an Alamo Medic I appreciate you care and support, after all I believe we are here for the same reasons no matter what uniform or patch we wear. I am hoping for the best and believe that this will work out. As angry and as frustrated as I was yesterday walking into the meeting I felt better walking out. Things for the Alamo employees can only get better since we were living in a daily vortex of stress and uncertainity and we did what we were asked to do which was care for those that called us. I hope that I can continue to work in my service area and with the Poughkeepsie FD/ PD, PV, RFD and FFD who have been nothing but supportive when I had the opportunity to be their Medic.

Anyone got an Alamo patch I can have for a souvenir?

Good luck to the Alamo people. I went through a change like this at my former job and while we all hit the panic button, those of us who stayed had it a lot better with the new company.

You know I dont really like the title of this thread. Why cant it be " Good Luck to all the Alamo staff". By saying people are getting hosed arent you bashing Alamo or Transcare by saying they are hoseing their employees. Just my opion. Oh and by the way good luck to all the Alamo employees no mastter where you go or what you do. See ya on the streets.

I second everyones post above. Good luck to all the Alamo Employees. TransCare has said they are going to do somethings similar, they're going to be a seperate entity from the Brooklyn operation, so who knows. Granted, saying it and doing it are two different things, but give TransCare the benefit of the doubt. Once again, Best of luck to the Alamo EMS staff!!

In regards to Transcare being a seperate entity from Brooklyn, the Brooklyn offices are mostly corporate. There are many units turning out of the BK, but thats where the big bosses are. I've worked Transcare in the Westchester 911 both full time and per-diem for almost 4 years now. It's not a bad gig. Just like anywhere else, if you come in, do your job as required, and go home at the end of the day, nobody should have any problems.

Either way, best of luck to the Alamo employees, and for those sticking around, WELCOME TO TRANSCARE!!!

good luck to all alamo personal. u will be very happy with transcare. there general manager rob is a great guy and their new do dennis awesome guy. they will work with u.just think u will be working for one of the biggest ems agencies in dutchess and surrounding counties. good luck to ulster cty u will love having transcare ... at least when transcare dedicates a unit to an area they keep it in the area and not pull it..... thanks....

You know I dont really like the title of this thread. Why cant it be " Good Luck to all the Alamo staff". By saying people are getting hosed arent you bashing Alamo or Transcare by saying they are hoseing their employees. Just my opion. Oh and by the way good luck to all the Alamo employees no mastter where you go or what you do. See ya on the streets.

The thread title has been changed and the original author has been asked to edit his post and follow his own advice by not bashing anyone. Let's keep this thread factual and professional.

If you don't have firsthand information, please don't post as though you do. Let those involved post what is appropriate and accurate public information.

Thanks,

Chris192

As far as being a separate entity from Brooklyn, they pretty much are. Yes there are always going to be links to the mothership in the BK (things like HR and higher end stuff) but for the most part, if you need something, you go to Wappinger.

I can't see ANY reason why they would take people who have been working the areas that they have been working and put them anywhere else. It wouldn't serve any logical purpose. I'm sure there are people out there that are worried about being stuck at the bottom of the corporate ladder and being relegated to working transport trucks, but I just don't see that happening. TC will need people on the road in the 911 areas that they are familiar with to get to the calls in a timely manner and interact with the people they have been interacting with for a long time. Putnam is a good example. The medics that were there in the system are (for the most part) still working in the system. I don't forsee that being any different with the Alamo contracts post conversion.

And August 1st? Wow. That's quick. Will everything be past the region and state approval process by then?

It was good while it lasted. Made a lot of good friends, learned a lot, grew a lot and did some pretty hot jobs. Always loved working with City fire and City PD, great bunch of men and women. Guess the old ID and uniform shirt will be a nice memory of days past.

Edited by Goose

Best of luck to Transcare with the transition. I have heard nothing but positives about them to the point I have considered looking into some part time side EMS work. Its always tough when these things happen, no different then what all of the Sloper employees went through when they went over to Alamo which at that time included significant drops in pay. I particularly feel for them as this is now the 2nd time this is occurring to them. Best of luck to all.

I worked for Alamo in Putnam. I didn't much care for the trucks, but the people were great and the service was excellent. I am sorry to see them go; it was a good company. That said, if you like Alamo, you'll love Transcare. It's well run, professional, no drama. Change is always difficult. You might as well embrace it because it's going to happen. As a resident of Putnam and a Transcare employee there, service is first rate. I f they can repeat up North, everyone will be really happy. Good luck to all.

Yeah, so far the Transcare experience has been pretty decent. A lot of parallels to the other company I work for (might have something to do with our DO being from Transcare). The vehicles are new and kept well, not ghetto patched with duct tape like they were at Abbey or the old Westchester. I would like to see TC get a few more things on the medical side - most notably some kind of alternative airway. Not having combitubes is a little unnerving. My tubing skills are decent, but would be nice to have a backup.

One of the bigger transitions for the Alamo employees will be the paperwork. The ACRs are interesting. One day we'll all be using computerized versions tho. (One can dream)

Edited by WAS967

Best of luck to all the Alamo folks going over to Transcare. The transition will have its bumps, I'm sure, but will smooth out in the end.

Wow good luck to the Alamo people, working for TranScare is tough.

Good Luck to you all. I have seen the transistion before up around my home turf when AMR took over New Haven Ambulance, Bridgeport Ambulance, New England Ambulance and others. I hope the transition is smooth for those employees and wish you all the best.

Good Luck to you all. I have seen the transistion before up around my home turf when AMR took over New Haven Ambulance, Bridgeport Ambulance, New England Ambulance and others. I hope the transition is smooth for those employees and wish you all the best.

transcare is horrible they treat there employees like crap

transcare is horrible they treat there employees like crap

Someone's a little bitter... I've been there for 3 years, I go to work, do what I have to do, and go home, just like anywhere else. The only time I've seen people have problems is when they are defiant or screw up...

I am sorry to all those who are being hosed. With that being said I don't know the particulars of all the details of the transition. As I understand employees will lose seniority but PTO will be paid up to a "max" allowance. Again if I am wrong please correct me. I also have to say the point of this thread is not to bash any employees or companies but to let our brothers and sisters here know that we are here for them. IF THIS BECOMES ANY TYPE OF BASHING I REQUEST THE THREAD BE THEN LOCKED! Again to all those I am sorry and I hope that T.C. does right by those with experience and knowledge of the areas they serve.

Let me explain what I mean... by "hosed" I mean having 6 weeks left at your place of employment after being there for "x" amount of years and having such short notice. IDNBY but 6 weeks is a relative short notice to figure where you are going to go - or what you are going to do... I have also heard from Alamo employees that those currently in Medic school will only have the current semester payed for.... and the rest is either whatever TC is going to do or, on their own. So I don't know about you but to me it would feel as if I was hosed.... and that is what I am referring to....

Anthony if youve been around ems for any number of years you would understand how and why these things happen. if anything its not TC thats hosing Alamo staff, it s more like if Alamo was run effectively and efficiently they would not have even been in a position to be bought out, such as sloper was in the past. i do not fault any of the staff of Alamo for the companies shortcomings but that of the mgmt. if you have followed the trend Alamo has been steadily losing contracts in the area, again not the fault of the staff they do what their told and do their jobs and do them quite well to boot, but the way the company was managed. while i was chief in a fd in the local area we had our share of problems with alamo, such as asking to be released from a working fire scene because they were told they needed to do a transport, or when i was on scene of a cardiac arrest awaitng an ambulance when i was given a 5 min eta, 17 min later the bus arrived, i was also told when they gave me the eta they were by raymond ave, [they passed my lt] again doin what they were told, and god knows they have there hands full in the city of pok. but any way i wish the best of luck to all who stay on with transcare, having worked for them in the past they are a decent company to work for. good luck to all no hard feelings anthony

Anthony if youve been around ems for any number of years you would understand how and why these things happen. if anything its not TC thats hosing Alamo staff, it s more like if Alamo was run effectively and efficiently they would not have even been in a position to be bought out, such as sloper was in the past. i do not fault any of the staff of Alamo for the companies shortcomings but that of the mgmt. if you have followed the trend Alamo has been steadily losing contracts in the area, again not the fault of the staff they do what their told and do their jobs and do them quite well to boot, but the way the company was managed. while i was chief in a fd in the local area we had our share of problems with alamo, such as asking to be released from a working fire scene because they were told they needed to do a transport, or when i was on scene of a cardiac arrest awaitng an ambulance when i was given a 5 min eta, 17 min later the bus arrived, i was also told when they gave me the eta they were by raymond ave, [they passed my lt] again doin what they were told, and god knows they have there hands full in the city of pok. but any way i wish the best of luck to all who stay on with transcare, having worked for them in the past they are a decent company to work for. good luck to all no hard feelings anthony

well it is starting again tonight. transcare turned over 2 calls in millbrook way to go. just admit u cant cover that area at night because oh my god transports come first.thi happens over and over with them. my lt from newhackensack tells me this happens all the time they say they will cover and then ohh no units available. when they officially take over alamo hope they can do better....

well it is starting again tonight. transcare turned over 2 calls in millbrook way to go. just admit u cant cover that area at night because oh my god transports come first.thi happens over and over with them. my lt from newhackensack tells me this happens all the time they say they will cover and then ohh no units available. when they officially take over alamo hope they can do better....

It's my understanding as it was explained by a transcare employee, that Milbrook is only paying for coverage for certain days of the week, and Transcare is only responsible for the first call in district.... Honestly, this is just p#ss poor decision making when it comes to the local government and politicians, thinking only about being cheap, trying to find the cheapest possible way to have EMS!!! I'm not saying Transcare is off the hook either, but they will only give what is paid for and not a cent's worth over. A good business philosophy i suppose, but not when dealing with human life.

Come on people EVERYONE turns over calls. MLSS, Alamo, TC, NDP. It happens to EVERYONE! And I heard the call, Alamo was dispatched in less then a minute after the second call. Transcare notified DC 911 right away that they had no unit for the call. Some companies would have sent a unit from Newburgh or some where far far away. It is not about transports or any other BS its about the patient. You dont have a unit you send someone else. You people really need to get a life and stop listeningto the radio 24/7. So what TC turned over a call. Ifyou have a problem with the coverage in any of these towns talk to the people that set up the contracts. ( The politicians and fire dist.)

I understand that everyone turns over calls, but there is also a BIG difference between turning over a call every couple of weeks when the feces is really hitting the fan, to turning over a call every other day or more frequently when that particular agency isn't really that busy when it happens.

Edited by EFFP411

As the topic starter I must state state my peace, and it has gone OFF TOPIC... First and foremost If any one company can be there for 100% of there calls they are OVERSTAFFED... and have Ungodly amounts of money to spend/waste on those average days b4 the sh*t hits the fan, Everyone needs to be able to go mutual aid at one time or another... thats why its happens.... Instead of posting every time a company drops a call, check and see what the contract REQUESTS... like it was said Everyone turns over a call... For Instance, It has been said here about a responding to EF from the Burgh... but as many of you know EFFD DOES NOT PAY FOR A CONTRACT, but when available EF has an ALS bus Located at their HQ for their calls... EF is also known for dropping 3-4 calls back-2-back... They also have their own BLS that can meet that ALS unit coming from where ever or any other ALS unit for that matter....

In a perfect world a company can cover them 100% of the time also Medicare and Other Ins company would actually send us what we bill for not what they think it should cost.. also EMS would be a little better paid... but this isnt that world... so please if everyone can get of their HIGH HORSE and instead of having the attitude of Company A dropping calls have the attitude to be there as fellow field staff to cover each others backs...

oh and also as someone stated referencing that a specific company hires from the bottom... I dnt work for that company but i have Many a friends and ex partners for that work for that company or any other for that matter... Every company has its below PAR employees, EVERY COMPANY!!!!

I think that was everything I wanted to say