Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NYCOP

Ulster Hose

13 posts in this topic

If your intersted Ulster Hose # 5 ( Town of Ulster, Ulster County ) is accepting there new ladder truck tommorrow ( Thursday 5/11/09 ) at about 5:30pm at HQ. HQ located on Ulster Ave, Kingston NY 12401.

Are they getting rid of that old mack tower or are they keeping it as a second ladder truck? I hope they keep it, I like that old rig.

Yes they are keeping it and making it Truck 2.

Is it going to be a spare or is it going to be moved to station 2?

Their old truck is the Mack Aerialscope, right? I remember that thing when I was like 8 years old in the 100 Year FD Anniversary parade in Marlboro.

Edited by SageVigiles

good luck with the new truck i saw it going down 9w by 299 today when i left work at 5pm looks nice

I thought all new trucks had to have the safety stripes on the back of the fire trucks?

I don’t see any of FDNY new deliveries with the stripes on the back? Any reason?

According to NFPA 1901, #3. Reflective striping meets the current standard: "In the body area...reflective striping was required on all four sides of the apparatus."

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:a4xiv_...p;client=safari

Rear Reflective Markings. Fifty percent of the rear-facing vertical surface of all vehicles must now be covered withreflective red and yellow stripes in a chevron pattern sloping downward from the center of the vehicle at a 45-degreeangle. The stripes must be 6 in wide, instead of the minimum combined width of 4 in specified on the sides and front.Although there is some latitude on the exact shade of yellow to be used, other colors may not be substituted.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:FEfuDg...p;client=safari

My understanding is since NFPA is a set of recommendations, they are not law and therefore fire departments are not bound to follow them. NFPA has included a clause that makes fire apparatus manufactures exempt from liability if the ordering fire department signs a waiver acknowledging that they are willing accepting a manufactured fire apparatus that does not conform to NFPA 1901. This allows fire departments the ability to still have the apparatus they desire and frees the builder from any liability associated with the fire apparatus that is not NFPA compliant.

List of Deviations. Some departments like to install or modify minor items on new vehicles themselves or havesomeone locally do it. Special reflective tape designs, hosebeds covers and tool mounts are typical examples. Under thenew NFPA standard, vehicle manufacturers must provide a list of all items that do not comply with the standard or thatneed to be installed in order to comply. This list will appear on the final specifications, and customers will be required tosign an acknowledgement that these items must be corrected or installed before the vehicle is placed in emergencyservice.

Contrary to what some departments may think, this is not a legalized waiver system that allows them to install non-compliant components or omit other components by simply signing them off. Instead, it is a legally binding documentthat places full responsibility on the customers to make the vehicle compliant before operating it. In some cases,manufacturers may even refuse to install non-compliant items or omit other items if they feel the customers can not, orwill not, do the work properly after delivery.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:FEfuDg...p;client=safari

Edited by bvfdjc316

I thought all new trucks had to have the safety stripes on the back of the fire trucks?

I don’t see any of FDNY new deliveries with the stripes on the back? Any reason?

I would venture to say the answer to this question is because they have not ordered and taken delivery of anything new since the first of 2009.. The NFPA standard clearly says that any new vehicle order and purchased after January 1, 2009 is to have the reflective striping on it.

or

Maybe it is because they are NEW YORK CITY and above the standard.

(Just like they were with the "New" NYS Rescue Rope regkulation which they were exempted from because they were one of the departments serving a population over 1 million people, even though the regulation was mainly written because of a situation that ocurred in NYC)

This truck was ordered far before the new 1901 revisions became reality

The truck is VERY nice

Here's a little teaser- awesome photo if you ask me

swiftwaterandrainbow015.jpg