Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SWS1

Bethel (CT) PD - 2009 Crown Victorias (Photos)

12 posts in this topic

Bethel (CT) Police Department

2009 Crown Victorias

Specialty Warning Systems recently delivered two new Crown Victoria patrol vehicles to the Bethel CT Police Department

The 100% LED warning system is comprised of a Whelen SX Liberty lightbar (with lighted center sign), headlight flasher, four Vertex HideAways in the reverse lights and taillights, two in the front corner lights a 100 watt siren speaker and CenCom Gold system controller.

The center console is a Havis Stout Mount / Trak Mount system, with a locking swing arm, docking station and tilt swivel adapter for the Panasonic Toughbooks computer. It also contains a dual cup holder, 12V power outlets, flip up armrest, the Whelen CenCom control head and department Motorola radio. As computers are installed in every vehicle, an AOI airbag option switch is included to, selectively disable the passenger front airbag to protect the occupants in the event of an airbag deployment.

Prisoner containment is achieved with a Setina full width partition, Pro Gard ABS transport seat and Pro Gard floorpan. A Havis sliding trunk tray contains the CenCom ARM, radio chassis', repeater and related electronics. A fully reflective exterior graphics package completes the outside of the vehicle(s).

Specialty Warning Systems extends its appreciation to the administration and patrol staff of the Bethel PD for their ongoing confidence in us to meet their installation, service and repair needs. These new vehicles represent significant and exciting changes in the overall layout of their patrol fleet that are a result of a proactive and collaborative effort between the patrol staff, the administrative officers and Specialty Warning Systems. We look forward to upcoming additional projects and a continued positive working relationship with the Bethel Police Department.

post-7323-1244750793.jpg

post-7323-1244750808.jpg

post-7323-1244750819.jpg

post-7323-1244750832.jpg

post-7323-1244750846.jpg

post-7323-1244750857.jpg

post-7323-1244750872.jpg

post-7323-1244750885.jpg

Very nice work!

Question....doe Bethel PD have a dashcam system?

Very nice work!

Not at this time

Whats the history/purpose of having the Dept. name tattooed on the light bar?

Whats the history/purpose of having the Dept. name tattooed on the light bar?

Seems like a Connecticut thing, I've seen the state police with the same thing constantly illuminated.

Seems like a Connecticut thing, I've seen the state police with the same thing constantly illuminated.

I believe it was solely a matter of pride in their department.

Very nice work!

Yes we do, however, not in this car...

Okay here it is roughly in a nut shell. Back in the day the CSP had on their "light bars" two signs "State" on one side of the old gumball machine and "Police" on the other. Even before this, CSP cars had some sort of "State Police" plate to mark and identify their vehicles.

post-2893-1249160283.jpg

Picture from http://www.statetrooperplates.com/ct.htm

Well around the late 70's / early 80's the color scheme went from red / white to blue / yellow and continued to use the plate with their "updated light bars" comprised of the plates, a blue main strobe or rotater in the center and two blue (sometimes one was red) flashers / strobes towards the rear. The main "gumball" had a cruise light installed in it.

When the Edge light bars came out, the illuminated "State Police" sign was added to the front and rear of the light bar to carry on the tradition of the old lightbar signs, along with the CSP "shield" plate usually mounted on the rear truck lid. Many towns and event Mashantucket's tribal police have adopted the use of signs along with their cruise light.

Nice looking cars, SWS always does a great job.

Okay here it is roughly in a nut shell. Back in the day the CSP had on their "light bars" two signs "State" on one side of the old gumball machine and "Police" on the other. Even before this, CSP cars had some sort of "State Police" plate to mark and identify their vehicles.

post-2893-1249160283.jpg

Picture from http://www.statetrooperplates.com/ct.htm

Well around the late 70's / early 80's the color scheme went from red / white to blue / yellow and continued to use the plate with their "updated light bars" comprised of the plates, a blue main strobe or rotater in the center and two blue (sometimes one was red) flashers / strobes towards the rear. The main "gumball" had a cruise light installed in it.

When the Edge light bars came out, the illuminated "State Police" sign was added to the front and rear of the light bar to carry on the tradition of the old lightbar signs, along with the CSP "shield" plate usually mounted on the rear truck lid. Many towns and event Mashantucket's tribal police have adopted the use of signs along with their cruise light.

I remember seeing those cars when I first started driving up to see my family in Massachusetts and thinking "WTF?" Never saw an "unmarked" patrol car before that.

I remember seeing those cars when I first started driving up to see my family in Massachusetts and thinking "WTF?" Never saw an "unmarked" patrol car before that.

A lot of people say that!! See in CT, each trooper is assigned thier own "take home car" where the lightbars are removable and have a storage rack in the truck. I want to say this started around the 60s or 70s (not 100% sure). If they are in the car "off-duty" the lightbar must be taken off and technically they are "ready for a duty call". I don't know the exact politics and operational practices now though since I've been out of dispatching for CSP for 3 years now.

When I worked at Troop I, in our garage out back they still had like seven old lightbars like the one in the picture!

Very nice vehicle. I have a question about the airbag cutoff switch. It's obviously a great idea, but can you describe in a nutshell how its done? Is it a Ford supplied switch that plugs into the airbag controller, or is it something you have to cut and splice and put in yourselves? THANKS!