x635

Pickups Filling Gaps in Buffalo Fire Department

11 posts in this topic

Pickups Filling Gaps in Buffalo Fire Department

06-16-2009

LOU MICHEL

The Buffalo News, N.Y.

That's because they're not.

They're pickup trucks filling gaps in the Buffalo Fire Department's aging fleet of vehicles when standard trucks are out of commission.

FULL STORY: http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/704706.html

post-11-1245197400.jpg

(Photo from the Buffalo News)

"Should citizens be concerned when they see a pickup roll up to the scene of a fire? "

Damn right they should be concerned ! How many GPM can the pickup pump and does it have a stick, articulating boom or a snorkel in that pickup.

Incompetent management !

Don't let any city Council/Mayor members see this, before you know it everyone department will be running pick ups.....

I am not to keen on the idea but I guess it is better than nothing!!!!

What"s next ??? A wheelbarrel and a garden hose. You got to be really kidding me. A city the size of Buffalo and thats what they get for a fire response. Maybe the Mayor should ride in a Go Cart instead of a Limo.

Damn right they should be concerned ! How many GPM can the pickup pump and does it have a stick, articulating boom or a snorkel in that pickup.

Incompetent management !

Really, you guys need to stop and take a deep breath and calm down. How many of you took the time to read the article before commenting? Erie County is broke and run by a financial review board. The City of Buffalo is suffering from years of economic decay and a constant drain of the tax base. Add to their financial situation some really nasty weather, and the wear and tear on the fleet is a lot worse than any of you guys experience here "downstate". Their fleet is probably older than average, and prone to breaking down more often because they can't afford the replacement program that a lot of other places have. It's not incompetent management, it's getting by the best you can with the limited resources available while providing protection to the public.

As the article points out, the pickups are temporary while a backup ladder is repaired and three new units are being built for delivery by the end of the year. In addition, three more units are scheduled for October delivery, after delays from "financial difficulties with the manufacturer". That makes six new units between now and December. Did you read about how the truckies request the pickups? No, you were too busy bashing the idea. For all that's right with the fire service, that's what's wrong with the fire service, too much living in the past and refusing to give new ideas a chance....... one guy's opinion, and yes, I travel to Buffalo on business frequently, even during the winter, and I've visited a few of the houses while I am up there.

Really, you guys need to stop and take a deep breath and calm down. How many of you took the time to read the article before commenting? Erie County is broke and run by a financial review board. The City of Buffalo is suffering from years of economic decay and a constant drain of the tax base. Add to their financial situation some really nasty weather, and the wear and tear on the fleet is a lot worse than any of you guys experience here "downstate". Their fleet is probably older than average, and prone to breaking down more often because they can't afford the replacement program that a lot of other places have. It's not incompetent management, it's getting by the best you can with the limited resources available while providing protection to the public.

As the article points out, the pickups are temporary while a backup ladder is repaired and three new units are being built for delivery by the end of the year. In addition, three more units are scheduled for October delivery, after delays from "financial difficulties with the manufacturer". That makes six new units between now and December. Did you read about how the truckies request the pickups? No, you were too busy bashing the idea. For all that's right with the fire service, that's what's wrong with the fire service, too much living in the past and refusing to give new ideas a chance....... one guy's opinion, and yes, I travel to Buffalo on business frequently, even during the winter, and I've visited a few of the houses while I am up there.

But if anybody feels like it, I'm sure the City of Buffalo is accepting cash donations... taxable donations, of course.

Just about Every City in the northeast is going through diffucult money problems in this economy. But to see a Pickup truck replacing a 100 Ft ladder truck is pushing it a little too far. I wouldn"t want to be the guy trapped up on the 5th floor window, looking down on a pickup truck with firefighters yelling to me to wait, "Don"t Jump". Is it okay for "you" to be the one trapped on that floor. I"m sorry. No way should a City like Buffalo have its citizens depending on that. And I can"t speak for the Buffalo Firefighters, but "NO WAY" would we as firefighters allow that in the City I retired from. And believe me, it was no Buffalo. I somehow can"t believe the Buffalo Fire Fighters would allow this without some type of protest. For their own safety and the safety of the citizens. If I visit Bufallo soon, I"ll make sure my wife and I are NOT above the third floor.

Ill take a nice crew cab pickup with ice cold AC over a Seagrave truck any day! talk about not having to back up to take turns!

Just about Every City in the northeast is going through diffucult money problems in this economy. But to see a Pickup truck replacing a 100 Ft ladder truck is pushing it a little too far. I wouldn"t want to be the guy trapped up on the 5th floor window, looking down on a pickup truck with firefighters yelling to me to wait, "Don"t Jump". Is it okay for "you" to be the one trapped on that floor. I"m sorry. No way should a City like Buffalo have its citizens depending on that. And I can"t speak for the Buffalo Firefighters, but "NO WAY" would we as firefighters allow that in the City I retired from. And believe me, it was no Buffalo. I somehow can"t believe the Buffalo Fire Fighters would allow this without some type of protest. For their own safety and the safety of the citizens. If I visit Bufallo soon, I"ll make sure my wife and I are NOT above the third floor.

First of all, the pickups are used when a regular rig is out of service. Secondly, if I am awaiting rescue, I would rather see four guys show up in a pickup with help coming behind them than to wait the extra time it might take for the second due to come from farther away. Do a little research on the financial situation in Buffalo, it is an old rust belt city with much more severe financial problems than any other city in the Northeast.

Ideas like this are great....but the problem is goverment officials and administrations forget they are temporary. I think thats what people are afraid of.

First of all, the pickups are used when a regular rig is out of service. Secondly, if I am awaiting rescue, I would rather see four guys show up in a pickup with help coming behind them than to wait the extra time it might take for the second due to come from farther away. Do a little research on the financial situation in Buffalo, it is an old rust belt city with much more severe financial problems than any other city in the Northeast.

Agreed.

Ideas like this are great....but the problem is goverment officials and administrations forget they are temporary. I think thats what people are afraid of.

This is the key thought I got from this article as well. The article also stated that the guys didnt like sitting around doing nothing waiting for the rig to get fixed. This sounds liek a reasonable temporary fix to the issue. As long an extra truck is dispatched as well as the pickup.