Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

City of Peekskill Police Trucks

13 posts in this topic

post-15124-1245459619.jpgThese photographs were obtained by me at the 2009 Peekskill St. Patricks Day Parade.

The ESU (truck 2) is a former Rescue Truck from Garrison FD

post-15124-1245460026.jpg

I also took this photo. This is the Peekskill PD Mobil Command Post

post-15124-1245459619.jpgThese photographs were obtained by me at the 2009 Peekskill St. Patricks Day Parade.

The ESU (truck 2) is a former Rescue Truck from Garrison FD

What do they use this truck for? Does PPD now have an ESU?

they have had that truck for a long time. to be honest i have never seen it used. i just see it sitting in the lower lot. awsome truck though

It's a SWAT unit as far as I know. I don't think PPD dabbles much in any other ESU stuff.

The "ESU" Truck is utilized by the department's Tactical Response Unit, or SWAT as most people call it. It is not a true ESU as there is no medical or rescue services performed. The team does mostly drug raids but has been called for mutual aid and dealt with their own barricaded subjects. The truck is well equiped and stands at the ready to respond to just about any crime emergency you might be able to think of. Aside from twice monthly traiing, the truck goes out at least once a month for drug raids or other emergencies.

The Mobil Command Truck is utilized at major crime scenes and planned events where a large police contingent is deployed. It is set up more like a mini precinct and has radio, computer, and telephone capabilities along with being stocked with equipment.

"1210671", Thanks for that info. I appreciate it.

I remember in the late 80's and early 90's when "262" was

the EMT car. Peekskill PD had several PO's who were EMT's

including one PO who was a Paramedic. (Now a SGT)

262 was labeled "EMT" on the side of the car (Great PR!)

it would be dispatched to most Medical Emergencies in the City.

Unfortunately this EMT car came to and end once the FD started

sending an Engine on EMS calls and the start up of ALS in the City of Peekskill.

I would love to see this come back as Police are always on patrol and for

the most part have a much faster response.

It was a Life Saving asset to the residents of the

City of Peekskill to have PO/EMT's

Do any of the Peekskill PD cars have AED's?

rwc130, I can"t really agree with the police doing EMS calls. Yes, they are on patrol but they are also busy doing police work. Sometimes doing follow ups on calls, or going to other minor calls. If a police car is on the road, it doesn"t always mean, they are available to respond to a call. In most cities, the police are pretty much too occupied to be chasing medical calls. In the small city I live in, I often hear police calls being delayed because everybody is tied up. And also, don"t forget about decomination time to remove blood or body fluids. In a smaller town, where there is no full time fire dept, and not as much police activity, maybe then have the Police be First Responders. I"m not familiar with Peekskill, but I would guess the Police there has enough to do without getting involved with EMS.

Peekskill has career firefighter/emts. it just makes more sense to let the cops do their job and the fire/emts do theirs.

Alot of PD's do EMS. Orange, CT Police are all EMTs and are the only EMS units in town, other than the paid AMR medic. They don't transport, but they are first responders, as the fire department has no desire, manpower, or funding to run EMS.

PPD does not operate ESU per say..the vehicle is used for tactical unit responses. Tac team members are allowed to wear their Tactical uniforms on duty and are assigned some specialty equipment to carry while on the road. Because of obvious reasons I am not going to discuss what this entails. The members are a highly dedicated group of officers with fantastic skill and sense of teamwork and I'm proud to operate with them.

PD got out of doing EMS for several reasons...with the FD beginning BLSFR at that time being a small part in the process. For one...they didn't have the resources to maintain members as EMT's as only a few were interested in getting and/or maintaining their certifications. Also at that time PVAC was significantly struggling and the volume was tying up PD resources for extreme amounts of time. Currently I know of no RMP's that have AED's in them. Ask most officers and they want nothing to do with EMS..and to be quite frank PPD has enough on their hands as it is. Plus up until around 3 or 4 years ago there was still a fight on going over 207-C disability benefits for officers who were injured performing EMS duties as one was denied being told it was not part of PD job duties.

On a side note and this isn't a dig...having appropriate resources staffed with appropriate policies is what can give citizens excellent care. Note that I did not say life saving service. We do "save a life" every once in a while in the EMS business..but much of it comes from solid response with appropriate tiered care from critical illnesses not cardiac arrest.

Regarding Orange, Ct my question is "Do they have a full time career 24/7 Fire Dept". If not, then Yes, maybe it does make sense for the Police to respond as First Responders to EMS Calls. But I guess my point is I feel that any town or city that has full time career firefighters, they should be the ones to respond. Believe me, I have full confidence in the Police Dept doing EMS calls, its just that they have alot of others things to take care of. Somehow, I just couldn"t picture a City like Hartford sending a police car to every EMS call. There"s just not enough cops now. And I have a feeling they (Hartford P.D.) would agree.

So I think it boils down to whether or not a town has a full time career fire dept.