Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
v85

Ham Radio Operators and Red Lights

11 posts in this topic

Can Ham Radio operators have red lights in their cars? The reason why I ask is that I was speaking with a Ham Radio operator, who is on the county ARES team, and on his car's registration it said "SPECIAL RESPONSE". He said that means he could run red lights and a siren.

Is this true? If so, what section of the VTL authorizes this because I thought "emergency vehicle" applied only to police vehicles, fire apparatus, ambulances, fly-cars, and emergency blood transport vehicles.

Considering I was once wrongfully stopped by a Greek Orthodox Priest that was authorized to use lights and sirens I would not be surprised. Confused and questioning the need yes but surprised no.

Here is NYS VTL is you want them:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vtl.htm

Can Ham Radio operators have red lights in their cars? The reason why I ask is that I was speaking with a Ham Radio operator, who is on the county ARES team, and on his car's registration it said "SPECIAL RESPONSE". He said that means he could run red lights and a siren.

Is this true? If so, what section of the VTL authorizes this because I thought "emergency vehicle" applied only to police vehicles, fire apparatus, ambulances, fly-cars, and emergency blood transport vehicles.

As a licensed Amateur Radio Operator, i'm unaware of any provisions that allow the display and/or use of red lights in vehicles owned by hams solely due to having a license.

If you're referring to "SRF" as the registration type, that's not special response. It's a DMV code for vanity or non-standard plates.

There's no correlation between that registration type and authorization to use red lights and siren.

Unless there is a provision in the law, the use of lights and siren is illegal - whether a priest, a ham operator, or anyone else.

If you're referring to "SRF" as the registration type, that's not special response. It's a DMV code for vanity or non-standard plates.

There's no correlation between that registration type and authorization to use red lights and siren.

Unless there is a provision in the law, the use of lights and siren is illegal - whether a priest, a ham operator, or anyone else.

Thanks Chris. The Ham I was speaking to told me that it meant Special Response, guess not. Unfortunatley it doesn't seem to be an isolated instance. I have also heard that "Ham radio plates are considered emergency plates, just like volunteer fire or paramedic plates", and that Ham Radio vehicles fall under the VTL section for "Civil Defense Emergency Vehicles." For example in this website: http://www.eham.net/forums/EmergencyCommun...ons/1411?page=2 (Second post down).

I am a ham radio operator for 10 years as well as several other posters. The only reason this person you refer to would have red lights is:

1. Because he's a wacker and thinks he's above god. (I'm sure we all know someone who fits this category.)

2. He's authorized by the county as some special privledge due to his work OUTSIDE HAM RADIO.

You get a lot of people who failed the mall security test and think they can run around doing whatever they damn please. Sadly they join groups like ARES/RACES and other valuable volunteer groups and think it gives them some supreme power, which is doesn't. In all reality, it's a great service to the community to assist in widespread emergencies where general means of communication aren't available. I've personally done some ham radio communications on Hurricane Floyd, 9/11, The 2003 Blackout, etc. It was supporting the Red Cross shelter operations as well as assist the Westchester OEM with general communications. It's requested help, and not freelanced. The other ham radio operators I've worked with in the past are great people who don't overstep their boundries.

Also please don't mix up ARES/RACES with groups like REACT International. Westchester REACT has had a number of runins with the State Police as well as County Police. They try to direct traffic, wear badges, have their cars (generally old model police cars) vinyl'd up with sayings like "Emergency Response." And the amounts of amber lights is absolutely incredible. Maybe thats who you've seen. They have 100% not a single bit of power contrary to what they think.

Thanks Chris. The Ham I was speaking to told me that it meant Special Response, guess not. Unfortunatley it doesn't seem to be an isolated instance. I have also heard that "Ham radio plates are considered emergency plates, just like volunteer fire or paramedic plates", and that Ham Radio vehicles fall under the VTL section for "Civil Defense Emergency Vehicles." For example in this website: http://www.eham.net/forums/EmergencyCommun...ons/1411?page=2 (Second post down).

EMT, FF, RN, MD and other "vanity" plates do not denote emergency vehicle status. Such status must be verified through the VTL and not a web forum that is as factually challenged as the one linked above.

As for Civil Defense Emergency Vehicle status, I would urge you to consult with your agency's attorney or your own if you're operating independent of an agency so you don't find yourself on the wrong side of a traffic stop (or worse).

In NYS, according to Section 106-A of the VTL:

§ 106-a. Civil defense emergency vehicle. Every communications vehicle

and rescue vehicle owned by the state, a county, town, city or village

and operated for civil defense purposes and equipped and marked as a

civil defense emergency communications or rescue vehicle in compliance

with the rules and regulations of the state civil defense commission.

Personally owned vehicles do not qualify so no lights would be authorized under this section.

I kind of had a feeling from the way this guy acts that he was a whacker. I guess this confirms it.

Personally I believe that red lights and sirens should only be allowed on official vehicles that are REQUIRED/AUTHORIZED to have them, not personal vehicles (in certain circumstances). I know there are some depts that do not have the funding to supply a chief officer with a dept vehicle which is understandable and require to have there POV fitted with red lights and sirens to carry out there dept duties. As a Ham Radio Operator that is involved with races I don't see a need in having "red" lights on your private vehicle, really I don't see a need on even having a amber light, Once you start decking out your car with lights (most of the time you are in the EOC or at a shelter buliding or where ever and most of the time your car is parked in parking space) you're only asking for problems, I.E. it being from Law Enforcement, or even the Not so law abiding citizens.

Hey, how decked out was this guy's car with radios and antennas??? If it wa God-awful then we can place him on the HamSexy website!!! :P

Hey, how decked out was this guy's car with radios and antennas??? If it wa God-awful then we can place him on the HamSexy website!!! :P

LOL