Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

The "Hysteria Factor" and its dangerous effects

2 posts in this topic

We've all heard it, been a part of it, and seen its results. It's that "Hysteria Factor" that seems to rear its ugly head all too often on the calls we respond to. It doesn't matter what type of call it is, or even how severe the emergency is, it continues to happen every single day.

From the moment the call is made to your dispatcher, your call is in progress, and how smoothly that call goes depends on all of those involved.

The Caller - if the callers themselves are hysterical when they make the call, it is up to the dispatcher to calm them down and get as much information as possible. The EMD protocols are an excellent tool to steer the call in the right direction. I will be the first to admit that some callers are beyond control, however if we educate our public on what information we need from them, we may get the info we need without the screaming.

The Dispatcher - this seemingly unimportant role gets the ball rolling for those of us in the field answering the call. Have you ever listened to an agency get dispatched by a screaming, hyped-up dispatcher? I have, many times actually. The tone of voice, the volume of the voice and even the speed at which they speak over the air is enough to get the heart racing. Well trained dispatchers know how their actions will set the tone for the incident they are handling. Too often, agencies will get dispatched by a "screamer" - which makes every single person and unit responding react in a similar hysterical manner. STAY CALM!!! If you are worked up and panicking, others will follow.

The Commander - I say this because it isn't always a Chief running the show. I have been at incidents, listened to incidents and dispatched incidents where the person in charge has been nothing less then manic over the air and on the scene. A calm, collected and well organized IC will make most incidents run without any chaos, which is imperative for those under their command. I have pulled up on scenes where our IC is screaming at us and literally running around in the street. Their demeanor begins to show itself in the members on scene working. If your IC is "bugging out" - nothing will get accomplished. For example, I have been involved with incidents where the IC is screaming for mutual aid, and the incident is already under control. I have heard screaming for all kinds of calls. House fires that are already DEFENSIVE operations, EMS Calls that end up being transported BLS, CAR FIRES, BRUSH FIRES, PHONE POLES ON FIRE - the list goes on. Screaming accomplishes nothing, and freaking out is the worst thing you, as an IC, can do. If members are responding to an alarm which is not an actual emergency, and they listen to you screaming the whole time thinking it is far worse and CRASH - how are you going to feel?

Let's all remember to take a deep breath and relax. Constant training, discipline and procedures help ensure that things run smoothly - at any kind of incident.

Remember this - an IC who is in full panic mode and shows no sign of control opens the flood gates for everyone else to follow. As the IC, or even the company-level officer, we must stay calm, walk and not run, and keep our members level-headed ALWAYS. Drills are practice for the big game - if you aren't going nuts on the drill ground, why are you at the fireground? Settle down, and get the job done RIGHT!

wow very nice job =D> =D> u r ture in everything u say about the way some1 talks on the radio