Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calhobs

Oh Captain my Captain

10 posts in this topic

30 years ago today Aug 2nd ,New York Yankee Catcher Thurman Munson passed away in a deadly plane crash in Canton Ohio. He is one of the Yankee greats, perhaps the halls of Cooperstown will one day open for him.

He was the first Yankee Captain since Lou Gehrig. He was a six-time all-star, named the American League Rookie of the Year in 1970. He also earned three Gold Gloves due to his defensive playing abilities behind home plate. In 1976 he won the Most Valuable Player award for hitting .302 and 105 RBI's. During his span with the Yankees he led them to three American League pennants and two World Championships.

Oh Captain my Captain rest in peace.

I had just recieved my drivers license and was driving for the first time when I heard on the radio about his accident with his plane. Thurman Munson still remains my favorite ball player. He was what a Yankee was all about.

I was at Phelps Memorial Hospital feeding my 1 day old daughter when the story came on the news, I had to hand my daughter to my wife I was so upset. Definetly a Yankee great despite his grumpy exterior, a good old style hard nosed player who just played the game, no glitz no glamour. We even named our dog Thurman Lee!

30 years ago today Aug 2nd ,New York Yankee Catcher Thurman Munson passed away in a deadly plane crash in Canton Ohio. He is one of the Yankee greats, perhaps the halls of Cooperstown will one day open for him.

He was the first Yankee Captain since Lou Gehrig. He was a six-time all-star, named the American League Rookie of the Year in 1970. He also earned three Gold Gloves due to his defensive playing abilities behind home plate. In 1976 he won the Most Valuable Player award for hitting .302 and 105 RBI's. During his span with the Yankees he led them to three American League pennants and two World Championships.

Oh Captain my Captain rest in peace.

Do we remember "31 Years ago today", in 1978, we lost Six FDNY Firefighters at a fire in a Waldbaums Store in Brooklyn. They weren"t famous. They were just your everyday fathers, brothers, husbands, and firemen doing their job. "No Hall of Fame for them". How many lives did they save, or help in their careers. How many kids lost their fathers that day. Not many people remember them. Only their families and friends.

Edited by nfd2004

It was an honor to have seen Thurman behind the plate many years ago, he was and is baseball to me. All I ever wanted to do on the field was be behind the plate catching and my LL coach even called me THURM. I would only wear #15.

Do we remember "32 Years ago today", in 1978, we lost Six FDNY Firefighters at a fire in a Waldbaums Store in Brooklyn. They weren"t famous. They were just your everyday fathers, brothers, husbands, and firemen doing their job. "No Hall of Fame for them". How many lives did they save, or help in their careers. How many kids lost their fathers that day. Not many people remember them. Only their families and friends.

I vaguely remember the waldbaums fire that killed those 6 FDNY members, but I STRONGLY remember the lessons that were learned at the expense and great loss of those men. I commonly use the example when teaching about roof construction and dangers, especially the bowstring type.

Your point is well taken and I agree with it entirely. I am certain the original post meant no disrespect to those "BRAVEST". They were, are and always will be our "true heros".

NFD you are 100% right unfortunatley out brothers who suffer an LODD are only truly remembered by their familes, friends and colleagues which is truly a shame on all of us.

The lady that lives around the corner from me has a dog named, "Munson." She told me that they got it from a friend who was a huge Thurman Munson fan. Every now and then when I am out in the yard, I hear her calling, "Munson!" I always turn and look, then realize she's calling the dog...

His death is one of my earliest memories as I remember my dad's reaction when they announced it on the news. He was one of my old man's favorite ball players and the more I got to see him in archives and hear him speak and how his teammates and other ball players speak about him I know why.

I also remembered the date of the Walbaums LODD. I try to honor them by using what took them from us as with every LODD where there is a lesson to be learned in the classes I teach. From the Walbaums, to the Hackensack auto parts store to Coos Bay Oregon...know the dangers of lightweight construction and of bow string truss roofs so it never happens again!

nfd2004 ...... I may be a little off ,and totally understand where you are coming from since I know the heretage of the FDNY and have had family and friends die in the line of duty...and I do not want to stirr up a hornets nest. Firefighters and Police Officers and Ems workers ARE ORDINARY PEOPLE WHO DO EXTRAORDINARY THINGS... There was a post about the Walbaums Fire Started Yesterday AT 2:22 PM BY YOU... it sounds to me like you are making a comparison because "The Captain" was famous. Can we remember both?

Edited by x134