Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Battalion 10 Hazmat/Decon Drill 8/1/09

7 posts in this topic

On Saturday, August 1st, members of the 10th Battalion (Westchester) departments held a drill on the grounds of the Montrose VA, simulating a motor-vehicle collision with hazmat problem. The drill scenario was for an MVC on Route 9 in Montrose with multiple patients with varying medical conditions. Units participating were:

- Montrose VAFD Hazmat Unit 3

- Montrose FD E121

- Croton FD FAST & T10

- Buchanan FD U12 (Cascade)

- Verplack FD E128

- Continental Village T11 (guests from the 17th Battalion)

- Cortlandt VAC 88B2 & Rehab Unit 8805

- Croton EMS 55B1

- Peekskill VAC 75B2

Members of the 10th Battalion also spent two other days training at the VA last month in preparation for this drill. New to us, our FAST has been cross-training to assist in the event a Hazmat member "goes down" in the Level A suits. Working with the VAFD, our members have been practicing wearing the suits and were used to "make a rescue" during this drill. It was a new challenge that we learned a lot from.

Additional info and photos here: Croton FD

post-34-1249273078.jpg

post-34-1249273088.jpg

post-34-1249273097.jpg

post-34-1249273106.jpg

post-34-1249273113.jpg

post-34-1249273120.jpg

post-34-1249273128.jpg

Heard it was a Great Drill with a Great turn out Congrats to all on such a wonderful job

As the Deputy Coordinator for Battalion 10 I want to thank all of those that particpated in Saturday's exercise, especially Chief Byrnes and the FDVA and VA OEM for setting up the drill. I think all involved learned that what appears to be a regular run of the mill MVA can turn into a much larger and somewhat difficult situation. Again my sincere appreciation to everyone that came out on Saturday morning.

Just a question.. is your FAST Team trained to do the Level A entry for the member recovery or rapid decon after recovery or both. Either way I think it is an excellent idea. Anytime an agency takes the time to cross train members only provides more trained resources on a scene. Whoever came up with that concept was really thinking ahead and outside the box.

That would be for recovery of a team member for now we will be xtraining more with this and get more of our FAST people qualified.

great drill chief...i had a great time...whens the next one??

Looks like a great drill. One question though, I see Peekskill VAC was there but how come no Peekskill FD aren't they part of Battalion 10?