Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RES20CUE

Parking during Incidents

8 posts in this topic

I believe we had a discussion on this previously, however a post from Mofire 24, caused this one-

At a recent structure fire in Mahopac Falls on 2/7/05, the tanker shuttle was inhibited several times by responders, neighbors, spectators, etc. parking along the streets.

The Lake McGregor area, much like most of the older Lake communities in Southern Putnam and Norhtern Westchester, had very tight streets.

Several vehicles had to be moved, several different times to facilitate the tankers getting in and out. As pointed out by Mofire24, a lot of departments don't normally use tankers, so they are not familiar with "keeping the streets open".

So, as it goes with a lot of things we do in the fire service= COMMON SENSE. Here are some helpful hints, so the Water Supply Officer isn't pulling his hair out trying to get water to the scene.

1) Use neighbors driveways instead of the street.

2) If your the first one in an extended driveway, pull all the way in so others can park behind you.

3) Leave your keys in the car! Just in case, so it can be moved if need be.

4) Think- "If I park here, is that monster tanker gonna get through?"

5) Remember- "If the tankers can't get through- there will be no water to fight the fire!"

Hope this will help some of you out there, that don't work with tankers very much.

I agree with you 100 % !!! being the chief tanker driver in Croton, one of the things that pisses me off the most is trying to get close enough to the scene to drop off my water, then get out of the way for the next tanker...

One time at a Yorktown structure fire, just as I was about to start backing up Baldwin Road, and a YPD patrol car pulled in behind me, after telling the guy that I have to get up there, he said no problem he will stay out of the way, after making the long trek, there was his patrol car right in front of the dump pond... this was resolved as I drove his unit into the woods.

But yes, nothing gets you mad more then coming back from a fill site, and having trouble moving through the parade of cars...please keep it to one side, and get off the road. !!!

Just a question for the departments who have their members driving to fire scenes. How does a department decide to allow their members to drive to the scene, and who makes the decission? I can understand why departments with paid drivers have the members drive to the scene but not other departments.

I assume that their are bennifits as well as down falls to both but I would think that it would be easier to respond to the fire station and man the rigs.

Our department has a standing policy that members are supposed to respond to a station to man the apparatus unless they have to directly pass the scene and can perform operations if they stop (i.e. they have thier gear with them). That being said, there are always those members who will respond directly to the scene.

It is up to your Fire Police to control the scene and direct the members where to park. Our SOG(P)'s also say that members responding to the fire scene will follow the direction of the Fire Police and park on the same side as the incident as far away as possible.

In the northern suburbs and the more rural areas such as the Town of Carmel, we find more roads being constructed that do not connect to other roads and end in cul-de-sacs. This is fine for the residnets who dont want a lot of traffic going through thier neighborhood but it creats a major problem for the Fire Departments to effectivly have a tanker shuttle operation. the members who respond to the scene have to remember the whole picture and not just the tunnel vision of getting there. We have to have our Fire Police in place right away to effectivly control the scene and we need to educate both our members and the other responding emergency services not to get in our way.

We responded to a simple odor of smoke in a residence last week and as the engine came up the driveway there was a blue/white car parked at the top because the occupant didn't want to walk up the driveway. Needless to say he was there for the duration and could not leave and "TOT the FD". What was worse was that he was one of the supervisors who routinly tells his men to not get blocked in while responding to fire calls. LOL

Increasing the time it takes to drop a load of water lowers the overall GPM for the fire. Simple math tells us that if you have 2000 gallons in a 20 minute turnaround you are delivering 100 gpm. Add 5 minutes to that for someone to move a car and you drop the gpm to 80.

People need to recognize that parking inappropriately at a fire incident could be the same as parking at a fire hydrant.

Since I'm usually on a fire scene in an EMS capacity, egress is a big thought in my mind. I always have to think of how many ways can I get out of the area in case one or more gets blocked by apparatus, operation, etc. If someone gets hurt, you don't have time to move cars or figure out what way is blocked and which needs to be used for egress to the hospital. I try not to stage to close because I know that at any minute the fire gound could expand and the next thing I know my vehicle could get blocked in by a 5" line running across the road. Sometimes with bigger fires you might have to call in more units because your first due ambulance will be surrounded by fire apparatus and being used for treatment/warmth and unable to get out. This is a good time for a good staging zone where you can place an ambulance that is able to jump in, grab patient and get out quick.

We had a deck colapse a few years back with multiple injuries at a house on a narrow road. Way too many POV's, Chief's Cars, and PD until one car parked too far away from the curb and the whole operation started to break down. Ambulances needed to U turn or re-direct which added 5 to 10 minutes to the response time. And this in a community that doesn't respond to fires in POV's.

Cutty-

In Somers- our members respond to the scene all the time. Unless they are a driver and have to pass a firehouse- then they are suppose to stop and get apparatus out. All of our members are issued gear and they carry it with them at all times, it's not left in the firehouse.

The reason for this, is that we cover a 33.3 Square Mile district with 4 houses. If a rig had to wait for a minimum crew of 4 before response, the rigs would not get out. With the congestion on today's streets and no one moving for blue lights, forget it! We do man an Engine first before it responds Mutual Aid, and that's why, it takes us a little longer to get the Engine out for neighbors- It waiting for 1 or 2 members driving 10-15 miles to get onboard.

That's been the way we've operated for over 60 years and it works! A lot of times there is already a hydrant man waiting as the Engine comes in, and personnel to grab the handlines and start stretching and charging while others are packing up. In addition- there is a pretty good size-up done before the apparatus arrives. Again- each department has to evaluate there own area and the best way to protect it.