Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ailc307

EMS Task Force on H1N1!

10 posts in this topic

I was wondering if any one's service has worked on an internal plan or task force set up for the H1N1! I work for a medium size service and if we was to have 6 people out at once that would destroy us.

Really just wanted to see what other services are putting into place!

Not yet..but would like to see one. Tried bringing it up a few times but doesn't seemed to be taken as seriously as I believe it should. And not just for EMS, but all emergency services, FD, PD, etc.

Simple things like the fit testing and purchasing of HEPA masks...those little rinky dink surgical ones aren't gonna cut it.

Yea well, That may be true, and in the best interest of all emergency personal, but it will never happen, untill someone gets hurt..

So I see that you are having the same problem I am. No one wants to talk about it until it happens, and then its to late. But for instance, we run 3 twenty four hour trucks and one 16 hour truck on the 24/48 rotation. We have about 8-10 part time & prn. If one hole shift got sick which could very easily happen we have no back-up plan!

Does anyone have a vaccination program in place? FDNY has the bio pod program where with a few hours notice they can vaccinate every on duty member in 12 hours. As far as handling the call volume its going to be a suck it up and deal situation. EMD gives us the luxury of being able to identify lower priority calls and letting them wait for as long as need be. On a busy day now its not unusual to see a job sit in the system for 20 minutes while units get assigned and then preempted for higher priority jobs over and over.

Simple things like the fit testing and purchasing of HEPA masks...those little rinky dink surgical ones aren't gonna cut it.

The hospitals all seem to be transitioning to surgical masks to control H1N1 exposure. I haven't seen any literature to support this, I'm just going by their posted protocols for dealing with suspected cases.

Maybe contact whoever does your Emergency Management planning, those organizations are DEFINITELY paying attention... Public Health Departments as well.

Edited by SageVigiles

Does anyone have a vaccination program in place? FDNY has the bio pod program where with a few hours notice they can vaccinate every on duty member in 12 hours.

NY...that would be a negative...but many of us get vaccinated on our own annually anyhow and then there are always a few that have the "screw that" mentality. I'm sure though if called for we would fall in line with our local hospital to get members vaccinated as we can get it there too under our system.

The only other problem is while I know in NYC everyone can get vaccinated in 12 hours...by the time people start dropping from being even exposed which is what is being touted to help control spread....that could be too late as you have to allow the vaccine to take effect.

Maybe contact whoever does your Emergency Management planning, those organizations are DEFINITELY paying attention... Public Health Departments as well.

LOL. I wish I could. There is an OEM but its staffed by volunteers who do the best they can for an organization which isn't utilized correctly or to its fullest potential. Emergency planning? For many that means figuring it out as they go which is pretty sad. There are still far to many who view OEM as if they are going to take some power away which is farthest from the truth. They are there to coordinate response. We had a pretty decent EOC established and set up when the blackout occurred. Would have been perfect to get reps from every agency into one room to coordinate needs and to help lighten the load on dispatching of those agencies. But lack of understanding killed that and it never happened.

LOL. I wish I could. There is an OEM but its staffed by volunteers who do the best they can for an organization which isn't utilized correctly or to its fullest potential. Emergency planning? For many that means figuring it out as they go which is pretty sad. There are still far to many who view OEM as if they are going to take some power away which is farthest from the truth. They are there to coordinate response. We had a pretty decent EOC established and set up when the blackout occurred. Would have been perfect to get reps from every agency into one room to coordinate needs and to help lighten the load on dispatching of those agencies. But lack of understanding killed that and it never happened.

I can tell you from first hand knowledge that regardless of people's opinions there is planning going on in Peekskill OEM for this and other scenarios the only problem is everyone wants to play in their own sandbox with their own toys and no one wants to share. Most of your comments are totally on point. We are not utilized to our fullest potential but that is a precieved control issue from some of the powers that be. The last thing we would do or want to do is step in and take over. Coordination of resources and agencies is the primary function of OEM along with helping to take the load of the IC with what every they feel comfortable delegating. Regardless of being volunteer PEMO has a 24/7 response coverage for the city including the Mobile Command Unit and probably does as much if not more than some paid OEMs. I would welcome discussion and input from anyone who really wants to be involved in a proactive way. We are already well into a detailed plan of tracking and reporting of cases with the school district which gives us a pulse on the community at large. Pre-planning is paramount in incident success and communication is just a important. alsfirefighter, feel free to contact me anytime, I would love to sit down and talk more in person.

Edited by PEMO3

I feel sorry for those who have not heard about any plans in their area.

In my area we have had a program in place for several years in which all public safety responders participate in a vaccine distribution program. Born after the anthrax attacks of October 2001, each agency maintains a list of staff members including all those that live with the staff member and their ability to take Cipro and Doxi. The theory being that not only is the responder protected but the family members are so it relieves the burden on the responder to stay home and take care of a family members. These medications flow from the state to the county to the local providers.

Now the potential H1N1 vaccine program is the same but different since CDC guidelines only dictate that the staff member will be getting the vaccine. This might not be a major hurdle, at least for me since my wife is an RN and our kids are in the targeted age range for first priority.

I wouldn't wait for an level of government to put forth a continuity plan for EMS. Stop what you doing now any deal with this issue today. If it isn't H1N1 it could be MRSA in your agency, norovirus among your staff, and something else that is under the radar that will cause problems. Most "experts" will tell you to plan for 40% less staff. Keep in mind that is not only the EMS staff but police, fire, hospitals, vendors, schools, etc, etc.

The CDC has a document that can serve as a guide for EMS planning and preparation. Go to this link to get a copy. http://www.flu.gov/plan/healthcare/emgncymedical.html

Law enforcement also has a planning guide: http://www.flu.gov/plan/workplaceplanning/...nforcement.html

As does Corrections: http://www.flu.gov/plan/workplaceplanning/...nchecklist.html

Other reference...

EMS Pandemic Influenza Guidelines for Statewide Adoption

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/ems/Pan...enzaGuidelines/

USFA Pandemic Flu Planning Resources

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/fireservice/subjec...ms/pandemicflu/

National Association of State EMS Officials

http://www.nasemso.org/Resources/PandemicInfluenza.asp

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

FEMA's National Continuity Program Directorate has released a new online course:

Introduction to Continuity of Operations Planning for Pandemic Influenza (IS 520).

Follow this link and instructions to access this course: http://emilms.fema.gov/IS520/index.htm