Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Workout ban has firefighters steaming

6 posts in this topic

N.J. City Bans On-Duty Firefighters from Gyms

08-11-2009

By ALEXANDER MacINNES

The Record (Bergen County, NJ)

PASSAIC, N.J. -- Next week fire and municipal officials across the country will shed awareness on firefighters' health during National Firefighter Health Week.

But in Passaic, city officials apparently are cracking down on access -- during working hours -- to two firehouse gyms that firefighters outfitted with their own money.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Workout_ba...s_steaming.html

We had the same thing happen at my department. Good thing that we are in negotiations and the "change of policy" was reverted back for us to work out again on shift.

Personally I feel PT should be done on your off time. You want good exercise, put your full ppe on and climb the aerial with a saw on your back a few times. Not only will you be getting a great work out but will be training at the same time. I see too many guys work out for 2-3 hrs in the Station Gym but b**** n moan when they have to go out and do BI. They want to take the elevator to the 7th fl.. Screw it! Walk up! It's great for your Cardio/Vascular and Endurance.

We need to get and keep as many guys in shape as possible. The city should be encouraging guys to maintain their fitness and ability. Here is the rub: Just because you are on the clock; it shouldn't make any injury work related. If you do something foolish; you need to accept responsibilty.

If he tripped and fell walking across the street to pick up a meatball parm; would that be work related?

Sick time and medical coverage should cover it.

Give them their gym back and encourage it's use. The individual should accept responsibilty though.

I think the Workers Comp. Board may have made a mistake here

In my career dept. we have "mandatory" PT time, and its too everyones benefit. Whats the #1 firefighter killer, heart attacks, so let the boys/girls workout so maybe this can be prevented and hopefully we can change these stats. I hear ya, BI's suck but it's our job, so do that work and then take your hr. of PT also. Every Dept. should encourage their firefighters to do PT, not deter it. The better shape your in the better production you will get and the more energy you will have. Just my two cents.

In my career dept. we have "mandatory" PT time, and its too everyones benefit. Whats the #1 firefighter killer, heart attacks, so let the boys/girls workout so maybe this can be prevented and hopefully we can change these stats. I hear ya, BI's suck but it's our job, so do that work and then take your hr. of PT also. Every Dept. should encourage their firefighters to do PT, not deter it. The better shape your in the better production you will get and the more energy you will have. Just my two cents.

Your 2 cents goes a long way and is spot on!

If the PT is mandatory then injury would be work related. Considering the artical said he was, 'inexperienced' It doesn't sound like that is the case with what happened there.