Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FF402

Turn of River (Stamford) FD Granted $$$ To Hire

11 posts in this topic

It's more than 1.7 million $$$ for hiring. Isn't this a volunteer FD? Are they now going paid or is there more going on?

I imagine they are going back to what they had before the situation in Stamford.

DHS/FEMA AFG/SAFER grants aren't so easy to get; congrats on a big $ score to the dept.

SAFER funding usually runs for a period of three years, before it expires. Unless they changed the rules, since I was involved in grant writing with my dept only until '06 when I retired.

SAFER is start-up money to help municipalities get the positions established. Way before the 3 years, the city/dept needs to pre-plan and budget appropriately to continue the funding for the positions after the grant money is gone.

The rules regarding this money (and how it must be used) are laid out pretty strictly by Federal statute Chris, so there usually isn't anything else going on; except funding for staffing.

The tangled web that's been woven get tangled even further. Remember too that TRFD is still awaiting the judge's full ruling on it's lawsuits concerning City funding as well as a seperate suit involving a breach of contract by the City stemming from the withdrawl of it's former paid employees. As of now they have been awarded this grant to staff their FD, how that will be done and to what level remains to be seen. If nothing else the addition of paid personnel back in TOR will benefit public safety and that is a good thing no matter how you slice it.

Cogs

I believe that with the SAFER grant, the city has to agree to pick up the funding...not sure that Stamford is going to be willing to do that. I know the % of money decreases every year which means the municipality would have to cover the remaining cost, then eventually the whole cost.

Also, I believe there already are 2 paid crews in TOR, covering every call, with more manpower then they used to ride with.

are they paying volunteers to staff the station right now?

Why not just move Engine 8 and Engine 9 into TOR fire stations? (or just the personnel) Why waste money on hiring more firefighters, or would they be in addition to E8/E9 crews? It would be nice to have an engine and a truck and/or rescue staffed 24/7, no?

Why not just move Engine 8 and Engine 9 into TOR fire stations? (or just the personnel) Why waste money on hiring more firefighters, or would they be in addition to E8/E9 crews? It would be nice to have an engine and a truck and/or rescue staffed 24/7, no?

If only it were that simple.

There are a bunch of guys who work two career, IAFF affiliated, fire dept. jobs in CT. I tried to do it myself but the 2nd department would not give me the 24 hour schedule that every other firefighter in that town was working. I could have made a legal case out of it but I decided not to.

My question is: If TOR receives it's funding from the City of Stamford, how does it apply for and have awarded to it, a grant to hire FFs? I would think the city is going to have a lot to say about TOR receiving this money.