Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jfmuller

NYT: Firefighters Become Medics to the Poor

9 posts in this topic

The whole problem can be summed up in these two quotes..... “I joined the force to battle blazes, not to be an emergency room doctor,” and “Look around,” Mr. Muyleart said. “We have an ambulance and two cop cars here. Do we really need a fire engine and four firefighters as well?”

Edited by NJMedic

Can i get the last 10 minutes of my life back? I really don't feel bad for any of those guys.

Most other departments also dispatch fire trucks to medical calls because firefighters are trained emergency medical technicians, cities have more fire trucks than ambulances, and fire stations are located throughout the city, said Lori Moore-Merrell of the International Association of Fire Fighters.

And that's the primary reason. Until EMS systems are set up as their own third service and are properly staffed, and FD only dispatched on high priority calls using a triage-dispatch system, things are never going to change.

The guys on Engine 10, however, are out most of their shift on medical calls. I do feel for them. It does tax the crews energy, and puts tremendous wear and tear on expensive appratus. Can you imagine the burnout and retention problems volunteer FD's would face if they had to go on every "my toe hurts" call? (Some already do)

I must say, having worked in a system with ALS-first response engines, it REALLY does impact patient care in a positive way.

And that's the primary reason. Until EMS systems are set up as their own third service and are properly staffed, and FD only dispatched on high priority calls using a triage-dispatch system, things are never going to change.

The guys on Engine 10, however, are out most of their shift on medical calls. I do feel for them. It does tax the crews energy, and puts tremendous wear and tear on expensive appratus. Can you imagine the burnout and retention problems volunteer FD's would face if they had to go on every "my toe hurts" call? (Some already do)

I must say, having worked in a system with ALS-first response engines, it REALLY does impact patient care in a positive way.

It's a double edged sword. They complain because they get run into the ground, but if they didn't have EMS how many runs would they be doing? Would they be facing layoffs?

If the NYT wanted a real story they should go ride along with a NYC unit who is stuck in an ambulance, does 8 or more calls in 8 hours. Gets off work and goes to their second full/part time job because they cant survive on their current salary.

It's a double edged sword. They complain because they get run into the ground, but if they didn't have EMS how many runs would they be doing? Would they be facing layoffs?

If the NYT wanted a real story they should go ride along with a NYC unit who is stuck in an ambulance, does 8 or more calls in 8 hours. Gets off work and goes to their second full/part time job because they cant survive on their current salary.

But they didn't, and hopefully in the future, they do. The FD union is way stronger and more noticed then the EMS union, and by FDNY absorbing them in 1996 did great damage to what could have become a great EMS system, and being reconized in it's own entity, like Austin and Boston EMS, would have allowed greater publicity, and better funding (grants and billing that they don't have to share).

EMS has also only been around since the 70's, and the fire service much longer then that. A firefighter is a lot more in the public eye then EMS. And EMS workers do such a good job making do with what they have, that the problems often go unoticed. A routine call such as a CHF's saved by CPAP isn't going to grab the media's eye everyday, however a fire is dramatic and will.

Firefighters absolutely should do first response, and doing so has saved hundreds of lives. I don't think anyone would dispute that it pumps up their call volume, but if a few lives are saved then it's worth it. However, we need to find that "balance" that still allows FD's to do their job and respond to the EMS calls where they are needed, and not every stubbed toe.

I'm sure EMS's wouldn't be happy if they had to repond to every automatic alarm, dumpster fire, etc either.

The whole problem can be summed up in these two quotes..... “I joined the force to battle blazes, not to be an emergency room doctor,” and “Look around,” Mr. Muyleart said. “We have an ambulance and two cop cars here. Do we really need a fire engine and four firefighters as well?”

I took the same thing away from this story. The crew gets excited over a fire, and groan when dispatched on a medical call. I've worked medic units as busy as this engine (as have many folks on this board I'm sure); the difference is I actually enjoyed providing patient care, and wasn't complaining about running from call to call. The takeaway point of this for me was that EMS call volume will be increasing as more people lose their health insurance. The fact that it was a fire engine was irrelevant; this could have easily been a 3rd service ambulance in Boston or a medic fly car in Spring Valley, and the point would be the same.

Maybe when the Times and other media outlets stop calling them "ambulance attendants" and calling them EMTs and Paramedics, then they may start getting somewhere.

If those firefighters are so reluctant to do the EMS component of their job and do it well they should stop. Determine how much 85% of their volume costs in actual dollars and infuse that money into the understaffed and ill-equipped EMS part of the system and make it a true third service with the funding to make the FD first response unncessary.

Goose is right, without the EMS numbers to bolster the statistics its hard to justify an engine company that would be doing just two fire calls in 24 hours.

The other problem is the quality of care received by the patient when a provider (whether PD, FD or even EMS) doesn't want to be there or is otherwise not committed to the job. Trauma junkies dumping on medical calls and laissez-faire treatment of frequent fliers with acute conditions do us and our patients a great disservice. I've seen it first hand and I would hate to be the patient on the receiving end of that "care".

EMS needs to be a true third service; sure it can be supported by FD or PD but it should be EMS first and foremost.

Maybe when the Times and other media outlets stop calling them "ambulance attendants" and calling them EMTs and Paramedics, then they may start getting somewhere.

Wouldn't that be nice?