Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Stamford: Hose Wagon?

7 posts in this topic

This question came from a post in another thread:

Our new hose wagon has about 4700 feet of 5 inch, and they tested, rolled and packed all of it in less than a day.

Details anyone?

Old Mack engine with the tank removed, 5000 +or – of 5” with inline relay valves, hard suction, turbo drafts, and 3000 gallon portable pond. I think it is at headquarters and responds to none hydrant areas and special call. Part of an ongoing effort to improve rural water supply in Stamford and the county.

Edited by mkronick

Seth- It was the engine that was Engine 1 when I got hired, then became E5, then E8. It is an '87 or so Mack CF.

In my humble opinion, Hose 1 has more to do with ISO ratings than practical application at this point. It is a stop gap as I'm sure it is but the first step in a far more comprehensive plan to ensure adequate water supplies in North Stamford.

As it now stands for the unit to be placed in service requires that an Engine company be taken out of service downtown to staff it. Coupled with that is the time involved in actually getting the rig operating. Response times from downtown to North Stamford vary from 10 to 25 minutes on average depending on traffic conditions and the location of the incident. Additionally, for each inline relay valve used another Engine company must be made available to support it, further delaying it's use at an incident and stretching available resources.

The idea of a hose wagon is sound, but as anyone with even a cursory knowledge of rural water supply knows, it must be applied in conjunction with an effective and well planned tanker relay. We must bring as much water with us as possible in these areas and it must be dispatched on the intial alarm.

As I'm sure is being developed an effective tanker relay can be accomplished by utilizing neighboring resources as well as those currently available in Stamford and Hose 1 will have a definite place in that system.

Cogs

I do believe that there are plans already in place to bring multiple tankers to the scene while the hose wagon is being deployed. So you will have the water on the first due engine and the water from how every many tankers show up. But lets be honest if you can't get the fire out with the first say 3-4,000 gallons of water, then you will have lots of time to get your water relay (and marshmellows) in service.

lets see, LD1, turbo draft, mapped out all water sources with distance to homes, we have a plan unlike the big 5, a working plan.

Excellent, pre planning is a good thing and I'm a proponent of it. That's good work by the SFRD and the residents of North Stamford will be better off for it. Since I have family up there it's good to know that such plans are in place, thank you.

Hopefully should the need arise that working plan will be put into operation seamlessly.

Cogs

I'm kind of confused as to what exactly is going on here. You're claiming it's a "paper" resource, but it's also part of a comprehensive plan of providing water supply in an area that is devoid of hydrants (referring to the first lines of your first post)?

The animosity is evident, but it seems like some are firing at the hip...there is little doubt that there is a major problem in stamford. After all, it was less than a year ago that someones entire house burnt down to the ground due in large part to what i viewed as the inability of the volunteer department to provide the machinery, manpower, knowledge and leadership needed to suppress a house fire. In fact it was only a few weeks ago that some disturbing details about what is really going on in parts of northern stamford were made public knowledge....

I guess the only point i'm suggesting is that there are some far bigger fish to fry and it seems silly to try and stick it to SFRD because they have a hose wagon...

Edited by Goose