Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

A New Engine 260 For Milford?

8 posts in this topic

Bethany, CT's former Engine 82 has been donated to Milford, CT and placed into service as Engine 260.

From FireNews.org

I know Milford FD is a career department.

Is Engine 260 still an active firefighting company? I know they're the ones who put on the muster.

Seth

to the best of my knowledge it is a firefighting explorer post because they have a bunch of jr members that are always at the musters. It is also a group of antique fireapparatus collectors they recently join the southern Connecticut seller savers. I think I could be wrong George Ambriscoe who runs the Engine 260 muster is a retired career firefighter from MIlford CT. Izzy can help me out on this one he is from up that way.

Engine 260 still sponsors a Boy Scout Explorer post. The engine that they have now was Bethany's recently retired Engine 82. This is a 1974(?) Hahn that was originally used by the West Haven Center Fire District as Engine 24 (might have been 25 not sure since they were twins). The engine was bought by Bethany around 1996/7 and was refurbished. It was replaced with a new Spartan / Gowans-Knight pumper and I believe it was donated to Engine 260. They have never been an active firefighting company but were / are sponsored by the Milford Fire Department.

And Yes George still is very active with the organization. One heck of a great guy and if you ever go to the muster, you have to meet him.

1973 Hahn 1500/1000 was donated to Engine 260, Inc. and was relettered in time for their 38th Annual Antique Show and Muster held on September 12th.

Photo by Howard Peiffer

post-4754-1254275514.jpg

Could anyone shed any light on why it is numbered E-260? Is there a story behind the designation?

Could anyone shed any light on why it is numbered E-260? Is there a story behind the designation?

Some years back, brothers George and the late Richard Ambriscoe operated a Sunoco gas station in Milford. At the time Sunoco gas pumps had an ajustable dial for selecting several grades of octane, 260 being the highest. Thus, 260 was used in the name of the Explorer Post. Anyone out there please add to or correct this explaination.

Some years back, brothers George and the late Richard Ambriscoe operated a Sunoco gas station in Milford. At the time Sunoco gas pumps had an ajustable dial for selecting several grades of octane, 260 being the highest. Thus, 260 was used in the name of the Explorer Post. Anyone out there please add to or correct this explaination.

I was always told that George and Rich based it on the local Boy Scout troop number in Milford Center in which they were involved. I'll see if I can get a hold of George, Vaugh or Jamie and get the truth to the "Engine 260" moniker. But also going on what Howard said and knowing George's humor, I wouldn't doubt that story either!!!

I've always enjoyed attending the engine 260 fire muster ive been going since 1984. I dont know george ambriscoe personally but he runs a great show however i heard the shocking news in regard to felony charges against Ambriscoe i read this link: www.ctpost.com/local/article/Retired-fire-inspector-charged-with-sexual-assault-380988.php Is the muster still going on for 2010? look forward to going if its still on. And by the way thats a very nice old hahn that the 260 explorers have. A close friend of mine who is a member of Bethany fd told me that they decided to donate it to the 260 fire explorer program last year and Ambriscoe was in charge of the explorer post at that time before his arrest. and they are happy to see it go to the kids i hope they can pick up the pieces and move forward. Its nice to see a youth group get something like that. I hope to check it out in person at the muster.