Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Reflection

9 posts in this topic

Things going on locally and around the world have caused me to reflect on why we're all here and what we stand for. Regardless of whether we're paid or volunteer, ride with the busiest agency or the slowest, we're all supposed to be on the same side. We chose public service, we weren't drafted, and whether we chose to become police officers, firefighters, EMT's or paramedics as our profession or obsession, vocation or occupation we should be advocates for ourselves and each other.

There are many hard questions to ask and answer in all the emergency services and we should all have the courage to ask and answer them but to attack or mock each other does nothing but belittle us and our professions.

If you want to start a debate, please do so with respect and integrity and imagine yourself on the other side of the same question posed to you and/or your agency.

If you're responding to a debate, please do so with an understanding that knowledge is powerful and if you educate your critics you may gain a smarter ally. Or in simple terms that I can understand, you get more flies with honey than with vinegar. Snide comments, bashing, or simply getting defensive does not advance your position.

Emotions are running especially high right now - not just here in this little corner of cyberspace but nationally as we face budget shortfalls, layoffs, and cutbacks. In light of our recent local tragedy, fuses are understandably short and the least we can do is be understanding and tolerant of the different phases of grieving. Some anger is going to come out and rather than respond to it in kind, think of why these people are angry and offer support.

Nothing is more disturbing than hearing a rookie/probie/newbie/whatever ranting about the agency down the street, the vollies across town or those paid guys. We're still, to this day, breeding that into our culture and we're never going to be as good as we claim until we put all that rhetoric behind us and start working together. It all starts with us! Set the example, strive to be better than you were yesterday, and be an advocate so our legacy is a better emergency service than we started with when we leave.

Perhaps we should all reflect a bit on whether we want to create a legacy for our time in these emergency services or just be a spectator. Let's stop fighting with each other and start fighting with our legislators to make sure we have all the tools we need, all the training we can get, and all the support we deserve to keep doing the job that distinguishes us from all others.

Maybe visiting these sites will help remind you of the big picture:

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial

National Fallen Firefighters Memorial

National EMS Memorial Service

Be safe!

Well said Chris; especially in light of what has happened around here in the last 24 hours. Unfortunately it sometimes takes a LODD to remind everyone of what's important in this profession.

Thank you for saying or reminding me of what I forget all too often, why I do what I do. Maybe not for the highest of reasons or with the best results but hopefully the highest of ideals and principles, and love of my profession, paid or otherwise.

Well said Chris.Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts.

Excellent post Chris.

Thanks

Cogs

Extremely well said, Chris! Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts. Well done!!!!

Though I did not know F.F. Joyce, I feel as I did. We are the same age, I also have 2 girls. and also have.... from what I have seen on the news ... the same passion for the job. To see his brothers fight back tears on the news last night was very hard for me to watch. God has taken a great man, brother, father, son, husband, and firefighter to soon. The Brothers from Poughkeepsie, City and Town will be at the Funeral to offer our support. Great thread!

Edited by x134

Well said, Chris. Thank you for taking the time to compose and express what many others were thinking.

Duane