Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY Apparatus Sheet Metal

14 posts in this topic

What kind of metal does FDNY use for their apparatus bodies? Aluminum, galvanized, stainless steel?

What kind of metal does FDNY use for their apparatus bodies? Aluminum, galvanized, stainless steel?

All of the new FDNY apparatus are being built with stainless steel, resists corrison, and holds up better over the lifetime of the apparatus. As many can see, apparatus all over the US has been lasting longer to stainless steel and better construction quality. Usual problem with apparatus today are either electrical or hydraulic in nature, too many damn sensors.

whats the average life of a FDNY rig ??? or the design life ?

Under the FDNY union contract, front line apparatus are supposed to be replaced every 10 years. That quite hasnt been happening lately, I see they are about a year or two off on replacements. I do not how long apparatus stay in reserve or as spares.

Most Front Line pieces are in service as per contract 10 full years, which translates to 11 years. They then are sent to spare pool where they stay until they are disposed of. In the pumper fleet they oldest front line are some remaining 1998's which are being replaced by seagrave order which has already started delivering units, about 50 or so are in. They Engines spares are 1993 and later years with the replaced 1998's being used now. The Tower Ladder's are the apparatus with rigs older than the contract requirements due to issues with seagrave and new designs. There are at least 4 1997 front line TL's in service as of now, needing replacement. Spare TL's are 1994 and up. The older 1989 and 90 TL's were disposed of.

All engines and trucks proceeding the most recent order were built with galvanized bodies......and this is why they are rusting out BADLY after 4 or 5 years. They tend to look pretty shabby by the time they head to the spare pool.

The FDNY is actually going to be replacing apparatus on a 8-9 year cycle from this point forward. They have said several times that the apparatus take too much of beating over a 10 year life span.

The FDNY is actually going to be replacing apparatus on a 8-9 year cycle from this point forward. They have said several times that the apparatus take too much of beating over a 10 year life span.

Are you sure about this? The job doesn't seem to care about what we ride around in and since they can stretch the purchases to the end of the 10th year, I don't see why they'd spend more money. The most recent order filled that time frame, as will the next order of rear mounts.

Should be interesting with the new aerials. I know Ferrara doesn't do stainless steel, and all their previous FDNY work (Hazmat, Collapse Rescue, Satellite) have been aluminum bodies....

Should be interesting with the new aerials. I know Ferrara doesn't do stainless steel, and all their previous FDNY work (Hazmat, Collapse Rescue, Satellite) have been aluminum bodies....

Interesting....well, maybe they're going to begin stainless construction. If they specs went to stainless for the new engine order, I'd be surprised if they didn't stick with that.

I know Ferrara partnered with an investment firm. I know working with stainless steel requires some different and stronger equipment and technique. Who knows with the price of metal these days?

Aluminum would solve the earlier corrosion problems.

Aluminum has it's own issues. It pits and does corrode. It also can crack. Stainless is the best way to go.

Does NYPD ESU still use galvanized for their REP bodies?

And I assume that the ambulances are aluminum (I never really considered what type of sheet metal is standard for ambulances)