Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

Cops' super-sirens get ready to rumble

12 posts in this topic

Cops' super-sirens get ready to rumble

By BRAD HAMILTON, JOHN DOYLE and CYNTHIA R. FAGEN

Last Updated: 7:35 AM, October 25, 2009

Posted: 2:49 AM, October 25, 2009

If you feel the earth move under your feet, it just might be the cops.

The NYPD is pimping its police cars with a new high-tech siren that you will not only hear but also feel.

Link to article:

Rumbler

I am curious to see this in action in the streets. I wonder if it will have any added benefit to getting around traffic? Anyone actually use the Rumbler and have any reviews?

Don't get all worked up over this. 41-1, Fairview in Dutchess, has this installed in his chief's car and I have been in front of the vehicle and don't feel much of a difference.

My EMS agency has also installed an experimental rumbler on our brand new Chevy, and like FFD941 said, its a cool concept, but it certainly doesnt work as well as it is made up to be.

i drive a truck ....a 3500 gallon septic truck to be exact and ive experienced the rumbler i think from connecticut state police but im not sure because the vehicle was unmarked but whomever it was had the rumbler and i in-fact felt it in my seat in the truck doing 70 down the highway it was a weird feeling i thought something was wrong with my truck till i looked in my mirror and saw lights so from experiencing that i feel its pretty effective

We just got one in one of our new trucks and even though we haven't had it long, it seems to work well. When you stand or sit in a vehicle near it you can really feel it.

This seems to be a good idea. Anything to get driver's attention, the better. I have always wondered if there was anyway to get a siren/light system that can deactivate a car's radio or activate a audible and visual warning on a car's dash board (based off the system where emergency vehicles can change traffic signals). Cars are made so insulated these days and they are advertised to being able to "shut out the outside world" that emergency vehicles are right on top of them before they realize that there is a fire, police, or ems vehicle behind them.

If anyone come up with the patent, I want half!!!!

people are soft and suck for transmitting vibration. We're also not very massive. You'll notice it more inside a vehicle. Its not meant to be jarring or painful. Its just suppose to get people to leave the little 2" hole they're staring through and start looking at the world around them for a second where they'll hopefully notice our little light show.

Same type of siren, in this vehicle.

my comp. in dutchess all 3 of the chief cars have had it in them for awhile now not sure about the vib. but you deff know that they are comming i can here that and the 2 sirens all at the same time long befor i see them deff. cool

There was an article on the Daily News website about this, and holy smoke were there some angry people. Oh no, it's gonna rattle my ears, or knock down a building. How is this any different than the locals who drive around with the bass turned up past 11?? Those folks shake their own cars, not to mention everyone elses.

New Hamburg Fire District had them installed on the Chief vehicles about a year and half ago and my personal experience is that they work very well, on the RT9 traffic.

Where I found them to work great is when you come up on a deer or two, I don't know if it's the vibration from the subwoffer siren it self, or the low bass noise it puts out but the deer really run off.