Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FiftyOnePride

Advanced Steel in Automobiles.

1 post in this topic

2012 is fast approaching, and auto manufacturers are beginning to deal with the new standards for side impact and roof strength in automobiles.

There are two predominant strategies that the manufacturers are utilizing to become compliant: more steel, or advanced steel.

Both are an issue, I recently watched a webcast with Ron Moore of FH.com, where he presented his case studies on vehicles with advanced steel, delving into actual extrication, and the methodology behind the use of Boron and other advanced steels.

For the most part, he highlighted that most cutters, if any other than a few years - will be ineffective in cutting through the various posts these steels are already being found in (A&B).

My first question, has anyone purchased a part of cutters or a combo unit that is acknowledged by the manufacturer to be capable of penetrating the high strength layer? What kind of prices are you running into?

Also, if you do not have a newer set of cutters - how do you plan to compensate?

Like I said before, these steels are already being utilized in vehicle construction - and sawzalls/older cutters do not work. K-12 saws do, but it's obvious why they are not the ideal choice for use in extrication.

He presented a few tactics/strategies to help compensate, and I'd be glad to share what I heard/saw if people are interested.

To answer my own questions - No - our cutters are a bit older than a few years. And because of that, is why I am starting to do this research - the few methods he offers I think are going to be very helpful. I would like to try out our cutters on one of these vehicles to see what kind of shape we are in for 2012.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to the responses.

efdcapt115 likes this