Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Sharpe Reservation Brush Fire (100+ acres)

7 posts in this topic

Link to Incident Alert

According to the news articles personnel (from four counties) had to hike in 1.5 miles to get to this fire. I'm just curious, did anyone consider calling for aerial assistance? The State Police are right across the river in Newburgh and since this went on for so long they could also have brought a Huey down from Albany (with a larger bucket) to assist.

It looks like there was at least one lake right there and another just down the road.

Does anyone have more info?

the state police was there with there helicopter looking for any hot spots we missed but they werent used for fire supression

Sort of off topic, but that place is still around? I went there twice 20 years ago, once with my elementary school and once with cub scouts. I figured it was McMansion development by now!

Link to Incident Alert

According to the news articles personnel (from four counties) had to hike in 1.5 miles to get to this fire. I'm just curious, did anyone consider calling for aerial assistance? The State Police are right across the river in Newburgh and since this went on for so long they could also have brought a Huey down from Albany (with a larger bucket) to assist.

It looks like there was at least one lake right there and another just down the road.

Sort of off topic, but that place is still around? I went there twice 20 years ago, once with my elementary school and once with cub scouts. I figured it was McMansion development by now!

I worked at Sharpe Reservation from 2004-2006, and yes, they were going strong as of then (I am sure still experiencing economic issues as is everyone else), but it is a nature preserve, and protected by many federal regulations, and I am sure it is not going anywhere for a while. In fact, they have renovated, and expanded their facilities on site, and I don't believe any development or takeover is in sight.

I do miss it there, it is beautiful, quiet, and serene there, and good people.

Bernie Ruf retired from there in 2007 after 50 years of service to the non-for-profit Fresh Air Fund, and 20 years as director there. A great, quiet, caring man, who will be greatly missed.

http://www.khrfunera...%20Edward%20Ruf

Chris, there are 2 large "lakes", aka human made ponds on site, in addition to one smaller one. In addition to the Huey, I know the DEP have resources, and West Point does as well (I know WP was called per the IA, although I do not know with what), for aerial drops, as they have done when they have large brush fires on site, just some other resources available (as a rotary wing pilot I am sure you are well aware of other such resources).

Chris, there are 2 large "lakes", aka human made ponds on site, in addition to one smaller one. In addition to the Huey, I know the DEP have resources, and West Point does as well (I know WP was called per the IA, although I do not know with what), for aerial drops, as they have done when they have large brush fires on site, just some other resources available (as a rotary wing pilot I am sure you are well aware of other such resources).

NYS DEC has no air resources - their aviation was consolidated into the State Police Aviation Section some years back.

The new NYC DEP helicopter is now equipped for firefighting but I don't know if they're performing that mission yet (may be training to be done, I'm not sure).

Are West Point's helicopters (Hueys and now EC-145's) equipped for firefighting? I thought they called in National Guard aircraft (UH-60's) for that. Anyway, I think it was ground assets that responded to assist with this fire.

My point is that these resources are out there and we should make sure people know about them and put them into their toolbox so when its appropriate they are considered.

I worked at Sharpe Reservation from 2004-2006, and yes, they were going strong as of then (I am sure still experiencing economic issues as is everyone else), but it is a nature preserve, and protected by many federal regulations, and I am sure it is not going anywhere for a while. In fact, they have renovated, and expanded their facilities on site, and I don't believe any development or takeover is in sight.

I do miss it there, it is beautiful, quite, and serene there, and good people.

Bernie Ruf retired from there in 2007 after 50 years of service to the non-for-profit Fresh Air Fund, and 20 years as director there. A great, quiet, caring man, who will be greatly missed.

http://www.khrfuneralhomes.com/cgi-bin/obit.cgi?Name=Bernard%20Edward%20Ruf

Good to hear it is going strong, I had a good time there as a kid.