Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Ferrara Awarded Bid For (5) FDNY Heavy Rescues

23 posts in this topic

any idea why they are getting rid of the pierce?

I'm assuming the Pierce will go into reserve status or assigned for another use.

Usually when FDNY replaces it Rescue fleet, they do all 5 companies at once.

i couldn't find it in the city record. would it not show up this soon?

What Are Thay Going To Use The Pierce Rescue Rescue Co. 1 For

i couldn't find it in the city record. would it not show up this soon?

City Record published on 10/21/09

"TRUCK, FIRE, 100 FT. REARMOUNT AERIAL - Competitive Sealed Bids - PIN# 857900011 - AMT: $21,016,210.00 - TO: Ferrara Fire Apparatus, Inc. 27855 James Chapel Road, P.O. Box 249, Holden, LA 70744"

Does not say how many trucks you get for $21 mil.

I'm assuming the Pierce will go into reserve status or assigned for another use.

Usually when FDNY replaces it Rescue fleet, they do all 5 companies at once.

Well they are replacing rescue's 2-6 but rescue 1 is staying so the only Peirce rescue is still gonna be a pierce

that was for the aerials, not the rescues.

Actually if it for both 5 rescues and 20 Rear mount ladders

Well they are replacing rescue's 2-6 but rescue 1 is staying so the only Peirce rescue is still gonna be a pierce

Actually the Pierce will become a spare.

No, the R1's rig will join the spare pool. There is no Rescue 6. That was a one time thing, only in service for the Rep. National Convention. They don't have a firehouse or a regular assigned roster. 5 new rigs for the 5 Rescue Co's.

I read that other site and I really don't understand the attachment to a particular manufacturer. The buff talk all follows the Pierce and I have to say that, if you ask guys from around the job (or any job where the guys spend a lot of time in the rig and on the road)they'll tell you that every rig is a P.O.S.

You can get a good rig from anywhere, you can get a bad one as well. The Seagrave's we have now take a pounding, but they're junk. Junk inside and junk all around. Older guys say the same thing about the Mack's and the AlF's, so on and so on....

Just because the rig's manufacturer is the same, doesn't mean that it's the same rig. The guts of any apparatus are specific to the spec. You never know who makes the pumps, engine, aerial, transimision, ect.

You would be surprised how many guys I work with who couldn't even tell you who makes the rig unless they're standing right next to it.

Edited by M' Ave
MESS11FOREVER likes this

Thats terrible news to me, Id rather see Pierce or a Marauder 2 for both the rescue companies and the rearmounts

Thats terrible news to me, Id rather see Pierce or a Marauder 2 for both the rescue companies and the rearmounts

From the stance of a buff point of view, I understand. But the fact is Ferrara won the bid and provided better specifications for the new rigs. It all comes down to what the customer wants built, who can build it that way, if a company can produce the order in the specific time frame and the overall cost of the apparatus.....Plain and simple.

There have been rumblings about the quality of the new Seagrave rigs by the members of FDNY on various boards, a lot of them are not happy with the craftsmanship compared to the older units, ect. ect. ect. I don't think you will see Pierce with a large order for FDNY because they won't build a rig to their specification for what ever reason, who knows, maybe I'm wrong. Another fact is that it was widely reported from various sights that Seagrave didn't provide a good spec for the new ladders (it might not have presented one, I can't remember exactly off the top of my head)

But if you look at FDNY, just like the video that was posted about Rescue 2 receiving their E-One / Saulsbury after 9/11, the mechanic said their trucks take a beating. They are not abused but are operated hard because of the city's conditions. A vehicle that lasts say 20 years in an average fire department, may only last up to 10 years in a busy department like the city or LA.

But no matter where you go, you are going to have firefighters in Anytown Fire Department will like one brand of apparatus compared to another. There is something you will always be not happy with on there rig you operate. Heck the rig I built for my home department has some things / lack of things that I don;t like. But hat is the way it is, no one is ever 100% happy.

I just hope FDNY has good luck with what ever rigs they get and they do the job they are intended to do.

I thought the specifications come from the FDNY and the City is mandated to go with the lowest bidder?

I thought the specifications come from the FDNY and the City is mandated to go with the lowest bidder?

There is some wiggle room there. Besides, it has to be the lowest bidder who meets all of the specs. For that to happen, a manufacturer has to be willing to adjust from their typical designs as the city's rigs are often lower/narrower than most.

Meet the spec and the tough warranty requirements and THEN have the lowest bid. Anyone who makes these rigs does so in the hopes that they can make money on volume, because the profit margin per rig is going to be smaller than normal. The bonus in having a city contract is, It's a sure thing that FDNY is going to need and average of 20 new engines and 15 new ladders EVERY year. They might order those rigs in larger lots, but that's how it breaks down over a 10 year period.

is FDNY going to keep the Pierce Rescue 1 as a reserve?

is FDNY going to keep the Pierce Rescue 1 as a reserve?

It'll be a spare in some capacity.

People keep on bringing up this lowest bidder thing, but thats how every municipality operates. Even with that mandate to make it as cheap as possible, FDNY ambulances and fire apparatus are the most expensive of any major city. They're not ordering junk.

Anyone have any idea what the CAD drawings are going to look like/any idea what the specs are/ when the build is expected to start on the first unit/when delivery of the first unit is due?

I had read on another site that Ferrara was the only bidder on the Rescues and that Pierce didn't even bid on them. Doe's anyone have any more information on that story?

or does anyone have any production pictures.... I have to say when I was at the Seagrave plant looking at our E119, it was the greatest thing... I learned so much by walking through, talking with the guys building the rigs and seeing just what they can do... I know I could of spent days there...

I had read on another site that Ferrara was the only bidder on the Rescues and that Pierce didn't even bid on them. Doe's anyone have any more information on that story?

That is correct and it was widely reported on a bunch of other sites as well. FDNY's contract specifically stated they wanted the truck's cab or body to be made with either stainless steel or aluminum and Pierce only does galvanized steel for the cabs (or vice versa). Pierce wanted to bid but since no exceptions were going to be accepted, Pierce back out of the bidding process. That was one of the reasons out of several why they didn't bid.

I'm going off the top of my head with what I read and can't remember exactly so please correct me if there is further information or if I'm wrong.