Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Baltimore FD Brownouts Under Fire After Death

4 posts in this topic

How often are the politicians told that cuts will cost lives and they never listen? So now 3 million in savings from brownouts can cost the city several million in lawsuits.

"Neighborhood leaders, union heads and current and former Baltimore officials are stepping up calls to halt the money-saving practice of rotating fire-company closures after a man died in a rowhouse blaze early Wednesday just blocks from a shuttered firefighting unit."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bal-md.fire10dec10,0,373953.story

No they wont learn. It was just some poor shlep of a man. Nobody important or special to care about. They wont do anything until its a big time polition, or some celebrity or high profile person in the community. Then everyone will suddenly care about closing the firehouses.

Just a shame. What's worse is they will shut down a house, and relocate another to fill it. That happened the last time I was down there. I forget what engine got shut down for the day, but Engine 13(quartered with the slated to be closed Truck 16 GREAT HOUSE BTW) got moved to cover.

Things like this are interesting...San Diego Fire is about to start brownouts in "dual apparatus houses", which I believe means that the Captain in the station will have the decision as to whether to take the engine or the truck depending on the type of response. Like I said, it's gonna get interesting....