Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JFLYNN

Montrose Structure Fire - 12/18/09 - Incident Discussion Thread

5 posts in this topic

After speaking to a civilian who witnessed this response from the start and in reading the Incident alert it seems like manpower was an issue at this fire. Initial dispatch was at 2200 and someone (the IC?) stated over the air that there was "limited manpower" at 2224??? I would think that 10pm on a Friday night would be one of the most likely times that volunteers would turn out. Is there an issue with having an adequate number of qualified personnel who can respond in a timely manner in this area? I'm particularly concerned because my Mom lives in this area.

helicopper likes this

To those members of the local media who read this forum...don't you think it would be important to investigate and report whether or not the response to this fire was inadequate and / or delayed? Also, who took these pictures? It wasn't a member of one of the departments who responded to the fire, was it?

efdcapt115 likes this

The IA states: 2224hrs-VFD E126 now requested to the scene. E126 advising limited personnel.

This seems to be Verplank engine 126 advising the IC that they have limited man power for responding to the scene, not that there was limited man power on scene.

Unless the civilians knows anything about fire ground operations, I would find it very difficult to accept their belief that there was limited man power.

Unless you were there yourself, how would you know.

When your in Yonkers and a civilian says you did not have enough manpower there fast enough, what do you say to them, do you accept their version of events, or do you trust you officers or members version of events?

I am not trying to start I fight, I am just trying to have a civilized conversation without having to be attacked.

Edited by bvfdjc316

I don't think you're trying to start a fight, so no worries..you're response is of course what I expected though..

.in Yonkers, if a civilian stated there was a problem with a response I would investigate by asking someone who was there which is what I have done with my post

I appreciate you explaining who those radio designations refer to, however, if 24 minutes into the incident, the department on scene is requesting more personell from another department, and that other department states "limited manpower", wouldn't this mean that there was not adequate personnel on scene and further, no one available to respond in a timely manner? If I am missing something, please let me know.

PS Do you know who took the pictures? Was it a member of one of the departments who responded to this fire? Thanks!

I do not know so unfortunately I can not answer your questions, I was merely furthering any information that I received via this site and lohud.com. It would appear to me that a member of one of the on scene companies took the photos but again I do not know.

Edited by bvfdjc316